Bourbon & Rye | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Bourbon & Rye

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Through miscommunication some of our friends got us two bottles of Elijah Craig. We were out of town and we got a message on a group text a local liquor store had these in stock. Mrs Diesel asked a friend to get us a bottle and two different people in the group text took her up on it.

Guess I have some work to do.

20230719_135502.jpg

Reaction Score
As for rye’s a couple of very tasty ones to me

-Alberta Premium Select Barrel Proof - Canadian Rye is very good and really always has been
-Pikesville - As everyone knows a super tasty Maryland style rye
-Russell Reserve Single Barrel Rye - actually hard for me to find regularly
-Regular WT Rye is a very good cocktail rye
-WTMK Cornerstone Rye is a great sipper at 109 proof or whatever it is, BUT it does lack a bit in the spice department

One that people love and I don't is Angel's Envy Caribbean Rum Finished. It was just too sweet to me, ended up giving away the bottle after two glasses.

A side note a guy offered me $500 bucks for my empty bottle of Boss Hog first release - hard pass I'm not giving a guy a bottle to refill and screw someone on the secondary.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As for rye’s a couple of very tasty ones to me

-Alberta Premium Select Barrel Proof - Canadian Rye is very good and really always has been
-Pikesville - As everyone knows a super tasty Maryland style rye
-Russell Reserve Single Barrel Rye - actually hard for me to find regularly
-Regular WT Rye is a very good cocktail rye
-WTMK Cornerstone Rye is a great sipper at 109 proof or whatever it is, BUT it does lack a bit in the spice department

One that people love and I don't is Angel's Envy Caribbean Rum Finished. It was just too sweet to me, ended up giving away the bottle after two glasses.

A side note a guy offered me $500 bucks for my empty bottle of Boss Hog first release - hard pass I'm not giving a guy a bottle to refill and screw someone on the secondary.

I've been disappointed by my Alberta. Not as good as the WP10 store picks from Alberta. But it may be my batch. Not bad certainly but not worth what I paid.

The RRSiB Rye is awesome and hard to get. I need to remember to grab it when I can. Pikesville is solid. WT101 Rye is hard for me to find. I agree on the Angels Envy stuff, too sweet for me. Good on you with the Boss Hog bottle. Hate the counterfeiters.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Through miscommunication some of our friends got us two bottles of Elijah Craig. We were out of town and we got a message on a group text a local liquor store had these in stock. Mrs Diesel asked a friend to get us a bottle and two different people in the group text took her up on it.

Guess I have some work to do.

View attachment 89852

Broke open the bottle on the left last night.

Taste is great. You obviously know this is uncut and 120+ proof but it doesn't burn and has an overall balanced flavor.

You're definitely slow sipping this but we enjoyed it with some good friends before dinner last night.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Had a chance a couple of night's ago to go to a Horse Soldier sipping event which included a 60 minute presentation by one of the guys who founded the brand.

Quick back story is these were the Green Berets who first went in to Afghanistan right after 9/11. They did a bunch of their work riding horses through the mountains. The Horse Soldier label is made from a mold made of steel from the Twin Towers.

For $75 you got to sample all three bottles, listen to the speech, est what looked like a decent buffet and an autographed bottle. We skipped the food line. Considering a bottle is about $50, it was a fair value.

Nothing spectacular about the straight bourbon. The barrel strength was decent too but I enjoyed the small batch the best.

They currently get the bourbon from Ohio but are in the process of building their own distillery in KY. Besides the distillery there's going to he a horse stable for veterans to go to ride horses and decompress.

20230913_184810.jpg

Reaction Score
Had a chance a couple of night's ago to go to a Horse Soldier sipping event which included a 60 minute presentation by one of the guys who founded the brand.

Quick back story is these were the Green Berets who first went in to Afghanistan right after 9/11. They did a bunch of their work riding horses through the mountains. The Horse Soldier label is made from a mold made of steel from the Twin Towers.

For $75 you got to sample all three bottles, listen to the speech, est what looked like a decent buffet and an autographed bottle. We skipped the food line. Considering a bottle is about $50, it was a fair value.

Nothing spectacular about the straight bourbon. The barrel strength was decent too but I enjoyed the small batch the best.

They currently get the bourbon from Ohio but are in the process of building their own distillery in KY. Besides the distillery there's going to he a horse stable for veterans to go to ride horses and decompress.

View attachment 91449
I thought they were associated with American Freedom Distillery in St. Petersburg FL. Do you know anything about that relationship?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Anyone try the Old St. Nick's Immaculata bourbon? $269 seems steep for mystery juice.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I thought they were associated with American Freedom Distillery in St. Petersburg FL. Do you know anything about that relationship?

They are American Freedom Distillery but the bourbon gets shipped from Ohio for now.

The St Pete place makes gin, rum and vodka.

Check out the link I posted which goes through the past, present and future.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

They are American Freedom Distillery but the bourbon gets shipped from Ohio for now.

Yeah, I tried the small batch at Disney Springs (the Southern Food restaurant, which is quite good actually) and thought it was good. But without the bottle then I didn't know it was Ohio. Noticed that when it showed up in stores here.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Bought this today. It’s a wheater from Montana. All local grains I think. Tried it in store and it was good. Not amazing, but good.
IMG_2009.jpeg

Reaction Score

Thank you. I worked at a liquor store on weekends for a little while and my favorite part of the job was talking bourbon. Horse Soldier was one brand of interest for a few and one vet told me some of the history.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was in the DC area last week and one of the restaurants had a drink called a Wayback. It's a take on an Old Fashioned but key ingredient is something called switchel syrup.

I had to look it up and it's an old farmers drink to replenish fluids while working on the farm. Lots of New England roots in history of the drink.

Basically it's ginger, honey or molasses or maple syrup, and raw apple cider vinegar. Water to dilute as wanted. Plenty of variations.

The Haymaker had Basil Hayden, switchel syrup, ginger beer and a twist of orange.

I decided to make my own switchel syrup and will use it tomorrow afternoon for cocktails.

I used this recipe.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was in the DC area last week and one of the restaurants had a drink called a Wayback. It's a take on an Old Fashioned but key ingredient is something called switchel syrup.

I had to look it up and it's an old farmers drink to replenish fluids while working on the farm. Lots of New England roots in history of the drink.

Basically it's ginger, honey or molasses or maple syrup, and raw apple cider vinegar. Water to dilute as wanted. Plenty of variations.

The Haymaker had Basil Hayden, switchel syrup, ginger beer and a twist of orange.

I decided to make my own switchel syrup and will use it tomorrow afternoon for cocktails.

I used this recipe.

Drink was called a Wayback. Wayback and Haymaker were two of the other names for switchel.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Could have posted this in Beer perhaps. It’s an American Single Malt, but it’s really a distilled beer. This is about the 5th version of it, each from a different beer in Vermont. This time, it’s the legendary Lawson’s Triple Sunshine. Only had a little It’s good but you need to be able to handle hops in a whiskey.

IMG_2078.jpeg

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

View attachment 91449
During the COVID lockdown, the manager of the community's restaurant started a cocktail class. It became a regular thing happening every month. Manny, the manager of the restaurant, is also a bourbon afficianato. One of the classes he introduced Horse Soldier. It was an instant hit with many. He also introduced a couple of months late Heaven's Door. BTW, Manny was getting 50 to 60 people per class. Admission was $10.00.

Those two have become staples in my cabinet along with St. Augustine bourbon, distilled in Florida.

When my bourbon friends come over with their wives for a lanai party, we will polish off a bottle of one of the three.

Cheers.

Reaction Score
I have a buddy coming in this weekend for a couple days of food, cigars and potent potables. In anticipation, I picked up a bottle of Penelope Barrell Strength Bourbon. I read some reviews and it gets a knock here and there for being young. Anybody tried this one?

Reaction Score
I have a buddy coming in this weekend for a couple days of food, cigars and potent potables. In anticipation, I picked up a bottle of Penelope Barrell Strength Bourbon. I read some reviews and it gets a knock here and there for being young. Anybody tried this one?
It's pretty good, sure it's young, but you know that going in. It seemed to have changed recently, not sure if that's acquisition related or not.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's ok. My complaint with some of what I see from them is more about price. These good but young products are often priced higher than good older products from the more established brands. It's the same story across the category. None of the new producer offerings are your best value option.

Reaction Score
It's ok. My complaint with some of what I see from them is more about price. These good but young products are often priced higher than good older products from the more established brands. It's the same story across the category. None of the new producer offerings are your best value option.
I noticed this trend with Scotch. I saw Ardbeg 5YO "Wee Beastie" is a couple bucks more than the 10YO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom