Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1

Reaction Score
Very few players will be able to make much at all off this. The big stars will make a lot but they are in the minority.
i think you're vastly underestimating the length boosters will go (now legally) to try and buy a championship. I could easily see UK boosters arranging a 50k NIL deal to every 5* freshman that signs. Consider it a signing bonus with much more to come.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
i think you're vastly underestimating the length boosters will go (now legally) to try and buy a championship. I could easily see UK boosters arranging a 50k NIL deal to every 5* freshman that signs. Consider it a signing bonus.
That's what I meant by very few. There are not a lot of five star recruits being courted by Kentucky.

Reaction Score
The brand and social media presence classes last summer that DH was doing with the kids will really help with this.
A large portion of this money is going to come from social media endorsements for a large majority I would imagine

Reaction Score
That's what I meant by very few. There are not a lot of five star recruits being courted by Kentucky.
i guess i dont see your point then. i agree there are only so many 5*s but if the same couple schools can now legally buy off all of them that will have an outsize impact on parity

Reaction Score
i guess i dont see your point then. i agree there are only so many 5*s but if the same couple schools can now legally buy off all of them that will have an outsize impact on parity
They've been buying 5*s the entire time anyways, maybe this lets more schools buy them.

I'm not sure how any of this is done though without it being a disaster.

Reaction Score
They've been buying 5*s the entire time anyways, maybe this lets more schools buy them.
I was initially optimistic we’d be able to but the board of trustees already squashed that

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I was initially optimistic we’d be able to but the board of trustees already squashed that
Then good for them. Chalk one up for the board of trustees. Better the sports program sink to oblivion than become a professional sports minor league franchise.

Reaction Score
We have money. We just aren’t willing to spend it on college athletics. That is what differentiates is from the SEC and other schools like Texas. This is really bad for UConn athletics. This is another log on the fire. I’m really worried about this.
Disagree, basketball is UConn's identity and the pro team for the state. I don't like this stuff for college sports but this might actually help UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
I think it's way too early to say they squashed it until we see how loosely or tightly they're going to apply the booster definition

Reaction Score
1. BOT is irrelevant here. A UConn player can take cash. What is the BOT going to do, throw a top recruit off the team?

2. Early on this is going to be like the Wild West. Players will take cash from multiple schools. "My name is John "Ice" Jones and I recommend you buy a car from Tuscaloosa Ford, eat a steak from any of Columbus Angus Taverns in the Ohio Valley, buy your girl a diamond ring from Harrodo's of Miami, and best of all, if you get in trouble, no one better to call than Chico at Chico's Bail Bonds in Long Beach.

Nothing can stop players from taking money from multiple boosters of different schools.

Reaction Score
I honestly am confused what is and isn't fair game when you consider NCAA, state, and university policies.

But what I will note, though, is that AD Benedict said today UConn's NIL policies "are not set in stone." In other words, they will likely adapt this policy in the future based on what is taking place in the marketplace so I wouldn't worry too much if the policy as written today is not where it ultimately needs to be to stay competitive in athletics.

My guess is we also hear end of this week, early next week on a partnership to facilitate and educate SAs on endorsement deals at UConn.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Imagine the transfer portal down the road. You like the Coach and your role on the team but xxx University has a plumbing company that would double what your getting in NIL currently.

Almost like the job market for others.

You like your job, you like your boss and someone else is willing to pay you more.

And just like the job market pay is a portion of a compensation package. So, you have a choice.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Very few players will be able to make much at all off this. The big stars will make a lot but they are in the minority.

Correct.

Schools near large concentrations of wealth should start getting better players.

Schools with large, established alumni networks whose alumni feel attachment to the school and are willing to blow their play cash on paying players vice another vacation home or bigger/better toys will also do better.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This thread is quite nauseating.

It sure seems like the race to the bottom has officially started. Put a toe tag on college sports as we knew it. This new incarnation will be Frankensteins's monster.

The race to the bottom started years ago with the massive TV and advertising contracts and all the money flowing in to college sports. Today marks the point where players can legally join the race.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom