Power of Love
Reaction Score
Welp, guess it's official.

Its Happening Bernie Sanders GIF

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
All these Giffey comps are off.

He's getting real close to JRE at Villanova good with his ability to score at all three levels, make plays off the dribble and rebound. JRE's is probably a bit thicker but he's also a few years older.

Reaction Score
I believe that this young man will commit to our program.

Reaction Score
Is AK a kid that wants love from other Blue Blood Programs or does he have the onions to come to Storrs and commit early?? IMG kids tend to like the love from the Blue Bloods.

He's saying all of the right things about UConn.. Time will tell. He appears to be in no rush.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All these Giffey comps are off.

He's getting real close to JRE at Villanova good with his ability to score at all three levels, make plays off the dribble and rebound. JRE's is probably a bit thicker but he's also a few years older.

It's wild (though not that wild) how many people here insist on comparing every white guy to Niels and Nadav.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
"I've watched a few minutes of this guy, but I think all of the scouts are wrong about him"
Do I need to see his tip offs and free throws too? Outside of his highlights, I’m missing what, the intangibles?

Reaction Score
I knew there was a reason to celebrate with all those delicious beers I sipped at Kent Falls Brewing today. Cheers!

Reaction Score
It's wild (though not that wild) how many people here insist on comparing every white guy to Niels and Nadav.
Everyone always does it with white basketball players. Wally Szczerbiak handled it perfectly when he was drafted and the morons in basketball media were comparing him to Larry Bird and he said his dad thought he could be like Glen Rice and that's who Wally patterned his game after...

Obviously he was nowhere near as good as Glen Rice but you couldn't pick another player Wally was less like than Larry Bird. Only thing in common was that they're both white, same with every other white player who the basketball media tried to turn into the next Larry Bird.

Reaction Score
Totally touching the money on this one. Reading a lot. Gauging the competition. Wants to git er done by August. And I kinda sorta have my first source...

Who's with me?

And if Clingan effects this in any way, it is a positive or, shall we say, a "net" positive.
This is YouTube comment section bad.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Well, in the past 15 years how many 6'7"-6'8" forwards has UConn had that can shoot?

Take it as you want but Giffey is the most recent comp at UConn who had a similar skillset to Karaban.

Reaction Score
Tyler Polley, DeAndre Daniels, Stanley Robinson, Rudy Gay
I had a reply tee’d up about putting Stanley (RIP) and good shooter in a sentence, but decided to look up his stats first. Surprised to see he shot 49% from the field and 35% from 3. Don’t know why my memory pegged Stix as a mediocre shooter. His dunk against then #1 Texas may have been one of the loudest moments in Gampel history.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I’m grabbing a Friday night celebratory six pack down at the corner store because <CHECKING NOTES> some dude on the BY has a good feeling we’ll get Karaban because we already got DC.
There is never a bad time to buy a good six-pack of beer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tyler Polley, DeAndre Daniels, Stanley Robinson, Rudy Gay

Polley and Robinson were both definitely a few inches taller than what Karaban is listed.

Daniels is definitely a comp I thought about but body wise he was much more slender and lean than Karaban or Giffey. I see Daniels listed as 6'9" 200 lbs. Karaban is listed as 6'"8 210 and Giffey as 6'7" 205. Daniels and Giffey were so good as interchangeable forwards on 2014.

Rudy is interesting. Obviously a much higher level athlete but he did have the ability to score at all 3 levels. And he does sneak in at the very end of 15 year timeframe being that he finished at UConn at end of '06 season.

I'll let you die on whatever mountain you want on this but I still think Giffey is best most recent UConn comp and JRE of Nova may be best current college player comp in terms of skillset and working the floor.

Reaction Score
I had forgotten the interview posted above by @MDHuskFan. I have been resisting participating much in the Giffey & comparison discussion/argument, and, with difficulty I didn't take the bait earlier in this thread about being unimpressed from highlights. I'll just point out that in the very first post about Karaban on Dec 12, 2019, I termed him a Tyler Lydon clone with Giffey's BB IQ. The point of a comp is to give the reader an image. There will never be a 'right' comp for everybody, and I don't need to be right. BUT: In this video from his own mouth made in 2021, he says the best comp for him is Tyler Lydon who he is most compared to. Why don't we just go with his view and move on? Skip needing a UConn player comp everybody agrees with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom