OT: - Boneyard Lawyers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard Lawyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any Boneyard Pharmacists here???
No, but my wife works at CVS and I watched Breaking Bad. I think that qualifies us as a team. You guys just count pills and print out a label nowadays anyway, right? ;o)

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I was going to ask about the best eye drops for my emoji. That's all. I hope I'm not in trouble. Maybe I should retain an attorney.

Reaction Score
No, but my wife works at CVS and I watched Breaking Bad. I think that qualifies us as a team. You guys just count pills and print out a label nowadays anyway, right? ;o)
LoL, does she count the pills for the pharmacists?

OldBosd

BBQ Beer Freedom!!!
Reaction Score
What does a pharmacist do that couldn't be replaced by machine learning and artificial intelligence?

Reaction Score
LoL, does she count the pills for the pharmacists?
Better, she has to refill the receipt rolls. She’ll never be out of a job because every customer receipt is 6 feet long!

She actually works for the company, not a store, but when I get my employee discount they always ask which store she works at so I just pick a random store.

Reaction Score
What does a pharmacist do that couldn't be replaced by machine learning and artificial intelligence?

Who do you sue when something goes wrong? Don't get me started with AI. That will be the demise our our existence. Terminator.

Reaction Score
Better, she has to refill the receipt rolls. She’ll never be out of a job because every customer receipt is 6 feet long!

She actually works for the company, not a store, but when I get my employee discount they always ask which store she works at so I just pick a random store.
Haha! I heard a rumor that they are thinking about buying another huge PBM. Crazy imo but with added debt cheap (basically 0% Int Rates) what could go wrong!

OldBosd

BBQ Beer Freedom!!!
Reaction Score
Who do you sue when something goes wrong? Don't get me started with AI. That will be the demise our our existence. Terminator.

That the rub. And back to lawyers.

We could have AI trucks and cut the number of overall fatalities in half and the lawyers will still be suing in the half that remain.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That the rub. And back to lawyers.

We could have AI trucks and cut the number of overall fatalities in half and the lawyers will still be suing in the half that remain.

Well then the question of robotic drivers is who is responsible?

The programmer?

The manufacturer?

Or the company using the service?

Insurance is also a nightmare

Reaction Score
Yes, certainly they bill more than that an hour in private practice. I'm not that concerned about it except for the generally senselessness of it, and the fact that they will ask me to pay it when I am not working, so making $0 an hour. It is absolutely a first world problem of the highest order.
I don’t know, but if I were a lawyer I’d sue the state of Missouri. Isn’t that what you guys are good at?

Reaction Score

The programmer?

The manufacturer?

Depends who did what?

The robot is still a robot and GIGO, garbage in, garbage out.

If the programmer doesn't maintain the circuits to get the robot working properly, then he gets sued. I had an email dump where I kept getting emails dumping into my account because the program got corrupted. I had the tech fix it. Programs get corrupted through use.

The programmer has to check that the program is getting software updates, and he or she has to fix ongoing bugs. Notice that Microsoft and other programs have patches, but you have to make sure the patches don't have problems. Now, if the program crashes because of poor design, that too is a problem.

Manufacturer if it is a design defect. Like the Boeing 707 where they made the auto shutoff switch inaccessible, and could not be manually altered easily in flight by the pilot. Planes crashed because they made the manual shutoff optional and Boeing did not want to spend the money. It should have been included and not optional.

Company using the service: Maybe like the duckboats that operated in spite of known defects that the company deemed "minor." Like , don't expose the public to it.

I could have oversimplified all this or got the science wrong, so if any engineers on the Yard, please correct me.

Reaction Score
Depends who did what?

The robot is still a robot and GIGO, garbage in, garbage out.

If the programmer doesn't maintain the circuits to get the robot working properly, then he gets sued. I had an email dump where I kept getting emails dumping into my account because the program got corrupted. I had the tech fix it. Programs get corrupted through use.

The programmer has to check that the program is getting software updates, and he or she has to fix ongoing bugs. Notice that Microsoft and other programs have patches, but you have to make sure the patches don't have problems. Now, if the program crashes because of poor design, that too is a problem.

Manufacturer if it is a design defect. Like the Boeing 707 where they made the auto shutoff switch inaccessible, and could not be manually altered easily in flight by the pilot. Planes crashed because they made the manual shutoff optional and Boeing did not want to spend the money. It should have been included and not optional.

Company using the service: Maybe like the duckboats that operated in spite of known defects that the company deemed "minor." Like , don't expose the public to it.

I could have oversimplified all this or got the science wrong, so if any engineers on the Yard, please correct me.

No, this is pretty reasonable. The idea that with AI lawsuits when things go wrong will disappear is predictably illogical.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't normally post this during the season, but there isn't much of a season happening. I know there are lots of lawyers here, seemingly a disproportionate number. Plus a law student or two.

As I get older, I'm beginning to be annoyed by bar dues. I can bill my Mass bar dues to the company, but I have three inactive fees to pay as well. California is exorbitant at $183.40 and Missouri just doubled the inactive fee to $100. Kansas is a relative bargain at $65. California will let me "resign" and presumably not pay the fee (although they don't make that clear). They otherwise stop billing at the age of 70. Missouri has no way to resign or relinquish your license and charges you until you are 75! Neither has a "retired" status. Kansas lets me elect "Retired" status at age of 66. They explicitly say there is no fee. So I can look forward to paying most these fees while on Social Security. Wonderful. Massachusetts does have a retired status and doesn't say when it starts or whether you stop paying.

Have any of you tried to "resign" or "retire"? I really don't know what the impact of "resigning" in California would be while still being active in Massachusetts. I am wary of taking that step at this time. On the other hand, I have much better uses for the $283 I currently have due. I'd gladly donate it rather than give it to these extortionists. It certainly could become a couple of very nice bottles of Scotch.
Unless you’re actively practicing there, I would just retire. There is no real benefit and most jurisdictions allow you to reinstate, or waive in if it is an in-house situation as long as you are active and admitted in another state. It’s just about collecting dollars for the bar. It also lightens the CLE load a bit.

Reaction Score
Unless you’re actively practicing there, I would just retire. There is no real benefit and most jurisdictions allow you to reinstate, or waive in if it is an in-house situation as long as you are active and admitted in another state. It’s just about collecting dollars for the bar. It also lightens the CLE load a bit.

You don’t have to do CLE if you’re inactive but not “resigned,” which I think is his dilemma.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Unless we have AI lawyers :)
20190716155654-GettyImages-1939608.jpeg

Reaction Score
You don’t have to do CLE if you’re inactive but not “resigned,” which I think is his dilemma.
You need to stay active in one state. CT CLE is considerably less onerous than many states. That was my main point.

Reaction Score
Yeah I assumed he was staying active in MA.

I still can’t believe there are places where you have to do your CLE in person.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
The bar dues are a complete scam. It’s ridiculous to have them in this and age. Same with the bar exam in general.
Interesting perspective. Mine is quite the opposite.
In today's "day and age," I find the concept of a brick and mortar law school to be an anachronistic gatekeeper. That is, there are plenty of people who would be very good lawyers who just don't care to spend 100k or more and get bored out of their minds in law school for 3 years.

Here's my idea:

1. Construct the bar exam so that any person who can pass it can make a decent attorney. Make sure to make the exam an "all day" exam, meaning as much time as you want, so that nobody gets an unfair advantage. Some of you will understand that point.

2. Get rid of the requirement for law school to be a licensed lawyer.

Doing those two things will have the following effects: 1. Smart people who don't want to drop 100k and 3 years on law school will self-study for 6 months and then pass the bar. 2. The number of attorneys will increase, and the cost of legal services will decline. 3. Many law schools will go out of business (yay!!).

While I'm at it, improve the legal system by doing the following:
Introduce the concept of "offered settlement reimbursement" to all state court systems. That is, if a case gets started, and the other side offers to settle at a certain amount, and you decline that amount, and then you go to trial and get less than that amount, then you owe the other side legal fees for everything after the offer to settle, and the attorneys are on the hook if the client can't pay.
The way the system is now, nuisance cases have inordinate value because there is very little down side to prosecuting a case and losing. You're out your time and some costs in the case. No chance of paying the defendant for his/her hassle.

Jeez. I could write 50 pages on this.

Lawyers suck. Believe me. I deal with them every day.

Reaction Score

The programmer?

The manufacturer?

All of them. Lawyers dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics