Boise State President is no fan of NCAA "reforms" | The Boneyard

Boise State President is no fan of NCAA "reforms"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That was quite good. I have been wondering why the presidents of the excluded schools have been so quiet on the issue. They need to rally before its too late. Sadly, i think most subscribe to Nelsons “beg harder" approach and are sitting by waiting for a life raft.

Reaction Score
Hilarous. If he views the D3 as the ideal model then he should make strides to move Biose down to D3.

The reason most schools are ok with the moves is that they are still pulling in more revenue in the new playoff model than without it. The gap between P5 and non-P5 is getting larger, but still positive for each of the schools in absolute terms.

Reaction Score
He's right.

This is nothing but an attempt to eliminate competition and consolidate resources.

This is so true i cannot believe some people fail to see it! Do people really believe that the multi million salary commissioners of the p5, leagues give a ratsass about student athlete welfare? If they did they would be advocating the redistribution of revenue and not the consolidation of it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Awesome article.
"Lately, those pesky mid-major programs such as Boise State and many others have showed up the big boys for what they are - wasteful models of athletic spending that cannot be justified."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The biggest mistake these idiots presidents are making is confusing gross revenue increases with comparative revenue increases. Every school with the exception of UConn, USF and Cincinnati has received a revenue bump as a result of CR. The problem is that only the P5 have gained revenue ground on the competition. The majority of the G5 is glad for the pittance they'll get for the playoff, not realizing their bottom line is about to dropout from beneath their feet.

Once D4 is established any playoff expansion will be solely to the financial benefit of the P5, if they don't recapture the entire enterprise.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don't see how the P5 can stop playing schools outside their ranks. If they did, you'd end up with only 35 or so programs at .500 or better. For every 9-3 school you have a 3-9 school.

Reaction Score
I don't see how the P5 can stop playing schools outside their ranks. If they did, you'd end up with only 35 or so programs at .500 or better. For every 9-3 school you have a 3-9 school.
Theoretically you could have everyone at .500. Or you could have, within four teams, three at 8-4 and one at 0-12. There are still a good number of bad teams in the P5.

Reaction Score
The words NCAA and reforms should never exist in the same sentence, unless it is part of a comedy skit. The idea isn't plausible. NCAA reforms is just double speak to provide verbal cover to hide the collusion of the elite college athletic conferences to empower themselves at the expense of all others. Greed needs no other adjectives, it is just what it is. The idea that this is about student athletes is just part of the Cheech and Chong smoke screen. Since the main purpose of NCAA now seems just to assist with empowerment of the P5, I wonder if it wouldn't be better for the non P5 schools to 'reform' themselves out of the NCAA. Just dump them and form a new organization instead and leave the NCAA to the P5 inbreds.

Reaction Score
The words NCAA and reforms should never exist in the same sentence, unless it is part of a comedy skit. The idea isn't plausible. NCAA reforms is just double speak to provide verbal cover to hide the collusion of the elite college athletic conferences to empower themselves at the expense of all others. Greed needs no other adjectives, it is just what it is. The idea that this is about student athletes is just part of the Cheech and Chong smoke screen. Since the main purpose of NCAA now seems just to assist with empowerment of the P5, I wonder if it wouldn't be better for the non P5 schools to 'reform' themselves out of the NCAA. Just dump them and form a new organization instead and leave the NCAA to the P5 inbreds.
Well the NCAA are the schools, and the one thing the NCAA has of value is the men's BBall Tournament. What they should propose is the P5 go off on their own and do their own thing... in all sports. They won't though, because too many schools rely on the scraps served up by the P5.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Purely a dream, but :

-Eliminate current version of NCAA.
-Establish NCAA replacement. Head it by Jay Bilas with the following mandate : the entire rule book must fit within 10 pages of a 12pt. single spaced document.
-Yearly relegation. Bottom 10% of "P5" goes down, top 10% of "G5" moves up.

Reaction Score

As kooky as this may seem on the surface, it's a road to explore - as long as UCONN is out of the P5 - of course - always that caveat in any discussion of the sort - as soon as UCONN is in the Big10 - never another word...but as long as we're not....

if you put together the membership of the G5 conferences that compete at what is currently labeled FBS football, in combination with the rest of division 1 athletics in men's and women's basketball, as well as all of FCS football, under a new organizational umbrella, and leave the NCAA and Mark Emmert, with the P5 FBS conferences as one division, and then rest of division 2, and 3 athletics...... that would certainly change the dyamic nationwide.

Such a new organization would be able to have it's own national tournament for a basketball champion, and perhaps the NIT at Madison Square Garden, would be interested in becoming the premiere basketball championship event in the country again.

oh yeah, and pass that doobage......need another hit.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kustra and Holmoe and the rest are just putting the P5 on notice that they will sue, likely sooner than later, if the P5 continues down its current path. Someone has to do it.

Reaction Score
As kooky as this may seem on the surface, it's a road to explore - as long as UCONN is out of the P5 - of course - always that caveat in any discussion of the sort - as soon as UCONN is in the Big10 - never another word...but as long as we're not....

if you put together the membership of the G5 conferences that compete at what is currently labeled FBS football, in combination with the rest of division 1 athletics in men's and women's basketball, as well as all of FCS football, under a new organizational umbrella, and leave the NCAA and Mark Emmert, with the P5 FBS conferences as one division, and then rest of division 2, and 3 athletics. that would certainly change the dyamic nationwide.

Such a new organization would be able to have it's own national tournament for a basketball champion, and perhaps the NIT at Madison Square Garden, would be interested in becoming the premiere basketball championship event in the country again.

oh yeah, and pass that doobage.need another hit.

I just had another hit of the doobage, so now I can continue.

While it is definitely is a kooky idea, I am not sure staying with the status quo would be any worse, and I think it is always better to leave the party with your dignity intact than to have to start begging the P5 for table scraps. By considering not playing non-P5 schools in the future (at least in football) they clearly want to reduce the money that UConn's and all other non-P5 schools earn now.

I was also thinking of the NIT as a potential non-P5 event. It would be funny if only the P5 were in the traditional NCAA tournament, because the field of 64 teams would only exclude 1 P5 member (I think they currently have 65 teams).

Another factor is that fans of non-P5 schools need to stop watching P5 athletic events, and if possible boot all P5 networks off their cable or satellite subscriptions. Just boycott the games on TV. Ohio State - Michigan football, yawn - who cares they can't beat the SEC anyway. Alabama - Auburn - sorry not interested, to busy with navel contemplation.

Eventually, the P5 breakaway may get addressed by a lawsuit. But it is fun to consider the non-P5 schools breaking away from the P5 on their on volition.

Reaction Score
Love this quote:
"I’m really focused to do it through op-ed pieces and other ways I can speak out against what I think is excessive athletic spending fueling the arms race that (former NCAA president) Myles Brand used to talk about when he was president of the NCAA. But with (President Mark) Emmert in there, he has absolutely no interest in taking on his friends from the big conferences and larger universities, so it’s probably going to happen."

Reaction Score
The media puppet fan boys of the P5, are calling Kustra a hypocrite for trying to go to the big east then renegging. I viewed them coming to the Big East as trying to compete at highest level via the BCS. The P5 sure have plenty of lapdogs in the media.

Reaction Score
@KevinOnCFB: Report: Boise State and AAC heading to mediation over exit fees http://post original url/DIpsotmNIA

Reaction Score
"And so is the American conference, our old Big East conference — we’re talking more and more with them. I have a feeling we’re going to have a great partnership with the American conference over the years."

Reaction Score
On Wednesday, Boise State president Bob Kustra released a four-page letter to media outlets that criticized the push for NCAA reform as an attempt "to create a plutocracy" and accused the Big Five commissioners, rather than university presidents, of "calling the shots" while pulling away from the NCAA's long-held ideal of attempting to create a level playing field.

Bowlsby said he hadn't read the entire letter, but said: "There seemed to be plenty of bluster in there."

Bowlsby is perhaps uniquely positioned, at least among the commissioners, to respond to Kustra. His career path included seven years as the athletic director at Northern Iowa, 15 at Iowa and six at Stanford. He served on the NCAA's Basketball Committee, and called the concept of a level playing field "largely a mirage."

"We've tried to legislate competitive equity and it really has never existed," he said. "We win more than 90 percent of the national championships in those 65 schools, and it's been that way for a very long time. That's not to say they're not doing great things at a lot of those other universities. We just have to, on this occasion, vote an enlightened self-interest."

Bowlsby reiterated, as have his peers at various times over the last year, that the Big Five conferences have attempted to make changes while remaining within the existing Division I umbrella rather than "much more draconian approaches" like creating a separate subdivision or a complete breakaway from the NCAA. As for Kustra's assertion that the changes are being driven by the Big Five commissioners rather than school presidents?

"The steering committee has been driven by presidents," Bowlsby said. "The discussion in my conference and the other conferences is being driven by presidents. I just think our presidents disagree with his position."

The underlying message: The Big Five conferences have moved beyond whether increased autonomy should or will happen – Kustra's topic – to what they'll do once they have it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-conference-commissioner-bob-bowlsby/9439581/

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
"We've tried to legislate competitive equity and it really has never existed," he said. "We win more than 90 percent of the national championships in those 65 schools, and it's been that way for a very long time. That's not to say they're not doing great things at a lot of those other universities. We just have to, on this occasion, vote an enlightened self-interest."

I'm assuming that this comment was made as it pertains to football. If so, what a friggin' stupid "circular argument" by Bowlsby. Boise State finished undefeated twice in recent history, and neither time were they even allowed to PLAY for the national championship!

So you lock teams out of the championship game because they aren't in those 65 schools, and then you argue that it's a fair practice because those 65 schools win the championship every year?!? Yup...that sounds about right...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Boise president says he was calling out SEC, Big Ten commissioners

For the record, Boise State president Bob Kustra was calling out Jim Delany and Mike Slive on Wednesday.

In a criticism of NCAA reforms distributed to media, Kustra -- somewhat cryptically -- referred to “two of the conferences taking the lead in calling the shots for the others.”

Kustra told CBSSports.com he was definitely talking about the SEC and Big Ten commissioners, largely considered two of the most powerful persons in college sports.

“I do think when it comes to certain commissioners the idea is to leave everyone else in the dust,” Kustra said. “The first list of reforms I had, I asked my commissioner where it came from. He told me it came right off the desk from [the SEC]. … I think the Big Ten was furious when it got out.

“This isn't something that rolled off the presidents' desk. The presidents are clueless.”

Kustra believes that NCAA restructuring will unfairly impact smaller schools.

“At least something had to be said,” Kustra said. “I have no doubt they're going to do this.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...t-sec-big-ten-commissioners-criticizes-reform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom