Boise may be gone | The Boneyard

Boise may be gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If there isn't enough money in the new TV deal, I believe they will be gone. Aresco has to show them they can make more with the new BE money vs. MWC. I just want UCONN has an exit plan before this all go down.

Reaction Score
Gone to where?

I'm sorry, but losing Boise St. really doesn't move me one way or another.

As for Thamel, his middle name is Dreck.

Reaction Score
If they are gone, it would be an eastern conference vs the MWC. I can live with that. I seriously doubt SMU or Houston would go to the MWC. We have other options in very fertile recruiting grounds.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
With the new playoff format, it makes way more sense for Boise, Houston, SMU and SDSU to go/stay with the MWC than to join whatever's left here. It's a no-brainer.

Reaction Score
With the new player format, it makes way more sense for Boise, Houston, SMU and SDSU to go/stay with the MWC than to join whatever's left here. It's a no-brainer.
I am pretty sure there is a reasonably sized disparity in revenue between MWC and Big East-to-be athletic departments, in favor of the Big East schools.

Here's an article about this possibility of Boise State remaining in the MWC:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2012/12/21/3793558/boise-state-stay-in-mountain-west

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I envision two separate all sports conferences.

Mountain West (10 teams) - Air Force, Boise St., Colorado St., Fresno St., Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, San Diego St., UNLV, Wyoming

Big East (10 teams) - UConn, Cinci, S. Florida, C. Florida, Temple, Memphis, Houston, SMU, Tulane, E. Carolina

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
With the new player format, it makes way more sense for Boise, Houston, SMU and SDSU to go/stay with the MWC than to join whatever's left here. It's a no-brainer.

Not being a wise ass, but did I miss something with 'player format' or did you mean 'playoff format'?

I still think Houston and SMU would join the Big East as the TV revenue is still likely to be higher and is associated with schools with higher name recognition; albeit however so slight.

Reaction Score
I still think Houston and SMU would join the Big East as the TV revenue is still likely to be higher and is associated with schools with higher name recognition; albeit however so slight.
It would very likely be higher because we'd have bigger markets. The only problem for schools like Boise State and SDSU is probably the travel costs, perception in the west, etc, would offset any gain in joining the BE schools.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i can't wait to add this to todays bad news thread. horay!

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure there is a reasonably sized disparity in revenue between MWC and Big East-to-be athletic departments, in favor of the Big East schools.

Here's an article about this possibility of Boise State remaining in the MWC:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2012/12/21/3793558/boise-state-stay-in-mountain-west
The article is from the MWC blog, I believe, so take it with a grain of salt. Thamel's "sources" may or may not be right, but if none of the 3 are the Prez or AD from Boise, it doesn't mean much.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think the biggest thing for Boise and SDSU, more so Boise, is the ability to keep their Olympic Sport teams in the same conference as their FB team. I don't know where they ended up placing all their other sports but I recall it being a big issue for them before Louisville and RU even left. With the BE being nothing of its former self, Boise is probably looking for the BE to either come up with an all-sports invite along with more Western schools or they'll stick with the MWC. However, everyone keeps saying that the MWC tv deal is horrific. So is this a sign of what's to be expected with the BE deal if they are supposedly backing out? Bottom line, I feel that this notion of Boise not coming is a simple cop out for people looking to continue throwing the BE under the bus. Why would a "quality" team like Boise want to come to the BE? (Their viewpoint, not mine)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If the Big East is willing to let Tulane and East Carolina join for all sports, then the sure as hell should let Boise St. and San Diego St. both join as full members of a Western Division.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If the Big East is willing to let Tulane and East Carolina join for all sports, then the sure as hell should let Boise St. and San Diego St. both join as full members of a Western Division.
With the C7 gone I'm sure that's what's going to happen.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I literally crapped a child when I read this post. But after having seen the article, I'm not convinced at all. Is the Big East money going to be great? No. But the tv contract that Thompson and the Mountain West negotiated is pretty much crap (slightly more than 1 million per team per year).

Even if the NBE deal turns out to be around the 3.5 - 4 million dollar area, it is still well worth it for Boise State. And Kustra has been pretty vocal and honest during the whole process, so not seeing a comment from him is good news. If you see Brian Murphy or Kustra making comments on it, then I will go back to crapping a child....but not until then....

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...x-byu-and-boise-state-into-forming-new-league

Representatives from Colorado State and New Mexico have shown preliminary but informal interest in forming a new conference that would have Boise State and/or BYU as its foundation, CBSSports.com has learned.

The race is on. It would behoove us to get Fresno State signed asap. That would be the final wedge. It's ironic that CSU and New Mexico are the ones trying to start the talks, since they are two of the football teams that Boise would likely wish to get away from....but if it means breaking that $hitty Mountain West tv contract for a new one.....we had better get the Fresno thing done fast!!!

Reaction Score
I heard a couple of days ago that the NNNBE and MWC had talked about some sort of joint action. Did not think much of it at the time but who knows? Could they reshuffle and sell as a cooperative product? Someone who is more familiar with media and contracts would have to answer that question.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ssing-staying-mountain-west-snubbing-big-east

Here is one of the reasons why Boise is considering going to the MWC:

Sources at Cincinnati and UConn are under the impression, even if it's not known to be true yet, that the Big Ten will raid the ACC for two more schools -- North Carolina and Georgia Tech.

ACC schools that could be ripe for poaching (Florida State and Clemson for a possible Big 12 play and NC State and Virginia Tech as a possibility to the SEC) are waiting to see what happens with a lawsuit over whether Maryland has to pay a $52 million exit fee.
I really hope we are going to the B1G. Going to the ACC could be going from one frying pan to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom