Boatright as 6th man? | The Boneyard

Boatright as 6th man?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
By the way, Boatright only plays in the NBA as a pure, distributing point guard. Any sane person who thinks that he's ready for the NBA now only needs to watch him with the ball in his hands at the end of both OT periods. He needs to come back and develop if he's going to have a shot at sticking.

Whether he and his entourage recognize that, who knows.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Why would we move our center, Giffey, to the 2? :)

Niels has been playing great in his role. I don't think anyone has played better defense all year... ALL over the court.

On an unrelated note... after Niels got the steal at the end of regulation, he put up a contested 3 (that I honestly think Porter fouled him on).
He had plenty of time to make a dribble and pull up for an easier 13-15 footer rather than heaving the 3 that he airballed with 2 seconds left. But I'm just nitpicking here.

Reaction Score
Why would we move our center, Giffey, to the 2? :)

Niels has been playing great in his role. I don't think anyone has played better defense all year... ALL over the court.

On an unrelated note... after Niels got the steal at the end of regulation, he put up a contested 3 (that I honestly think Porter fouled him on).
He had plenty of time to make a dribble and pull up for an easier 13-15 footer rather than heaving the 3 that he airballed with 2 seconds left. But I'm just nitpicking here.

In that kind of situation, where you weren't even expecting to have the ball in your hands, you're just making sure you get a shot off.

We need that second ballhandler in Boat, whether or not he's effective as a "pure" point guard.

I do like the idea of Giff getting more minutes, but like others have said, at Olander's expense. The small lineup we featured the last 20 minutes of game time needs to be seen more going forward, except against the beefiest of front lines.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I truly like this idea. More defense and scoring off the bench why not try it right
What about swapping Giffey and Boatright? Let Boat come in and put up points off the bench.

Reaction Score
Giffey may become a 4 year bench player. Anyone recall another player never starting? Not that there is something wrong with it, its just that his improvement has been significant. Next year somebody will lose significant minutes because he will become a huge contributor. He already has experience and certainly isn't intimidated. The good thing about him is that he is pushing the starters (DD, OC, TO, RB) to play their best.

Reaction Score
Boatright has not been very good on either end of the floor. He has zero vision and teams have exploited his weaknesses lately. That one stretch where he had 3 turnovers and a blown assignment on 5 possessions was painful. I'd like to see how he responds to the role as the energy guy off the bench. Remember, its not where you start its where you finish. Ollie won't change anything with only a few games left, but assuming everyone comes back I'd like to see Boat as 6th man. Calhoun will have a whole summer to work on his ball handling and won't be able to take a step forward unless he has the ball in his hands more. Giffey/DD as 3/4 is very strong and will bolster the rebounding #'s. Napier and Boatright both need to be four year players because their futures are in Europe not in the NBA and they need to be as mature as possible when they get there.

Reaction Score
When giffey made that steal he lost his composure for a second and put up an ugly shot. Not that I blame him for it, no way was he actually expecting to get the steal and have a chance to win it there. How sweet it would of been if he nailed that though. Missing that free throw was shocking to me the way he's been shooting them lately. Oh well love giffey and love this team.

Reaction Score
Boatright is a 5'8 shooting guard. the guy plays with heart but needs to pick his spots better. if Giffey were to replace him long term, Napier or whoever is running point needs to be 100% healthy. Napiers feet worry me.

Reaction Score
I can see Boat coming off the bench but Giffey is not a ball handler. He looks so small when he is trying to break down a defender. He just needs to play smarter which will probably come next year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whatever the merits to the move, sit Boat at the start and you lose him totally. He wouldn't put up with it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Boat will never make it to the next level unless he learns how to dribble and play defense.

Reaction Score
I think Ollie is doing a great job with the rotation now. No real need to change. Having Boat and Bazz in at the same time and for most of the game has produced 19 wins and some very exciting basketball. Seems like Boat is this year's version of the Napier of last year. He's has many great moments but some only remember the turnovers and boneheaded plays

Reaction Score
I kind of like the suggestion because it would allow Omar to get some time at shooting guard. Olander/Daniels/Giffey is a small but versatile frontcourt, that, given DD and NG's improvement, could be tough to cover.

Reaction Score
If you think Boat is worried about getting his stats now, wait til you see what he does coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mess with anything. This team has exceeded expectations and Ollie has done a great job with a short bench. The season ends in 10 days, why potentially hurt the relationship with Boat when he has been solid all year. It would be foolish to mix things up. If anything, let it be open competiton for the starting 5 next fall.

Personally, I think Giffey is a great role player off the bench....i think that's where he fits best.

Reaction Score
Seems like Boat is this year's version of the Napier of last year. He's has many great moments but some only remember the turnovers and boneheaded plays

Remember Kemba's soph year?
If Boat comes back, look for very special things from him next year.

Reaction Score
And even more amazing, we've been okay with him in there.

For those of you who have been brainwashed at the Jim Calhoun School of Roster Construction, most college teams do not employ a traditional big man who sits in the post, blocks shots, and dunks at will. Virtually all "big men" in college basketball are 6'8-6'9 guys who are not freaks of nature physically and whose game extends beyond the foul line.

Reaction Score
For those of you who have been brainwashed at the Jim Calhoun School of Roster Construction, most college teams do not employ a traditional big man who sits in the post, blocks shots, and dunks at will. Virtually all "big men" in college basketball are 6'8-6'9 guys who are not freaks of nature physically and whose game extends beyond the foul line.

But Giffeye is 6'6" and is a 2/3, although there are power forwards that size, there are plenty of big centers out there.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
If you think Boat is worried about getting his stats now, wait til you see what he does coming off the bench.

His ego plus the fact that he was Mr. Basketball Illinois 2011- it will never happen. If we had someone clearly better, maybe. Now next year might be a different story.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Boat's downside is his ego. Could tell you that from day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom