Blue Star Media: Hiring Tyler Summitt and the women's coaching quandary | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Blue Star Media: Hiring Tyler Summitt and the women's coaching quandary

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have no idea how this hire will turn out, but ... You have three HC jobs in a week and the comparisons are stark:
Arkansas - hire a man with no women's experience and no coaching experience in the last 15+ years, and that experience was as an assistant in a far distant age of college sports. (No idea of who the other candidates were, but ...?)
LaTech - hire a man with 2 years experience as an assistant at a pretty poor program who is 23 years old and has hung out around women's basketball since he was 7. No idea of who other candidates might have been.)
Minnesota - have a list of three finalists Niele Ivey (a 7 year assistant on the #2 program in D1), Aaron Johnston (HC - .745 win percentage over 14 yrs.), and Jody Adams (HC - 6 years .595 win percentage one conference championship) (Jody has withdrawn her name)
If you are a current player, fan or a 'governor' of the school - which AD would you be happiest with in terms of hire/process?

The first two may turn out to be brilliant, and they represent 'outside the box' thinking certainly, but ...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well now, that settles that! Who could disagree with such profound logic. Tyler is without a doubt the best choice the AD could have made, I mean what other candidate could claim to have "worn down" every teaching lesson they had on their computer! I was a little uncertain about his qualifications and foolishly thought that he got the job because of mom's connections.
Thanks for opening my eyes stwain.
English isn't stwain's first language.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'll trot out something a Hall of Famer said about assistants. Imagine, she said, I hire a man and a woman as assistants - same amount of experience. A head coaching job opens. The man says, "I'm going for it!" totally convinced he has the experience to snag the position. The woman says, "Hmmm... Let me stick around here as an assistant, get better prepared and THEN I'll try for a head coach gig."

I don't imagine that's 100% accurate, but I do see some of that tendency in myself.

You cannot "expect a call." You should be making the call.

That being said, I haven't seen who else went after the position -- it's not like LaTech is a "catch" - heck, Fresno State has an opening, what with TCU poaching Pebley after Kansas State poached Mittie. Let's see who they hire...

Not for nothin', but the son of Rick Pitino just won the NIT - he's won 70 games. And was in his first year at Minnesota.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...it-championship-2014-minnesota-richard-pitino

Pitino has every right to brag about his strong first season. The Golden Gophers finished their campaign under the second-year coach with 25 wins, the first time they've reached that mark since the 1996-97 season where they finished 31-4 and went to the Final Four, which was counted as "unofficial" due to academic fraud charges.

Last season ended in a third round loss in the NCAA Tournament and Tubby Smith being fired. This season seemed to infuse the Golden Gophers with new life. With Pitino at the helm, there is now a concrete answer for Minnesota's future in the Big 10.
It is a nice story, but Pitino coached HS when at Providence, worked in administrative position in college programs for a few years and spent 7 years as an assistant and 1 year as a D1 head coach before being hired at Minnesota. Just a slightly different resume than either Tyler or Dykes at Arkansas.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Well now, that settles that! Who could disagree with such profound logic. Tyler is without a doubt the best choice the AD could have made, I mean what other candidate could claim to have "worn down" every teaching lesson they had on their computer! I was a little uncertain about his qualifications and foolishly thought that he got the job because of mom's connections.
Thanks for opening my eyes stwain.
That should have wrote down. It was a typo.
Leon Barmore likes the hire.
“I appreciate Tech president Dr. Les Guice and Tommy McClelland making this hire because they have a vision of what the Lady Techsters program should be and where we all want it to be,” Barmore said. “Tyler is a wonderful young man and I believe he will be good for the program.”

Reaction Score
There are definitely going to be skeptics, I think it's a great hire though for several reasons. First, this will draw big publicity and interest to La Tech's program. It was a bold move, Tyler Summitt is a one of the most well known names in women's basketball and next year you can guarantee there will be lots of people checking out how LaTech is doing under his tutelage. Additionally, I bet this will significantly help recruiting.

Despite that Tyler Summitt is young coach, he's not your average 23 year old. He's married, has worked for 2 years as an assistant at Marquette, and seems very poised/mature for his age. He doesn't have the resume that other candidates had, but he's hungry, motivated, and has been around basketball his whole life. He has been groomed for coaching his entire life, watching his legendary mom lead her teams to countless Final Fours and he'll understand the pressure and expectations that will come with this role, and he has a great assistant in DeMoss on his sideline.

It is definitely a bold move by the AD, but I think it is one that could payoff in a big way.
I thought Mom went to 18 Final Fours. Pretty sure countless > 18.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
You have three HC jobs in a week and the comparisons are stark:

True - I'm not defending the decisions, but, especially since we don't know who (read: what female coaches with experience) was on the interview list, it's tough to argue effectively.

1. I don't think Arkansas gives a hoot about wbball. It seems like they've devalued the position over the years.
2. I don't think I'd wish the LaTech gig on anyone... and maybe that's the reputation that impacted the decision.
3. Minnesota has a Final Four in its recent history. It is (was) a proud program that thought it had what it needed with Borton, then held on too long. It is a program WITH money and football. That seems a yummy gig.

Still open:
OregonNorth Dakota State
Morehead StateFresno State
Brown

Which one is most appealing??

Reaction Score
You have three HC jobs in a week and the comparisons are stark:

True - I'm not defending the decisions, but, especially since we don't know who (read: what female coaches with experience) was on the interview list, it's tough to argue effectively.

1. I don't think Arkansas gives a hoot about wbball. It seems like they've devalued the position over the years.
2. I don't think I'd wish the LaTech gig on anyone... and maybe that's the reputation that impacted the decision.
3. Minnesota has a Final Four in its recent history. It is (was) a proud program that thought it had what it needed with Borton, then held on too long. It is a program WITH money and football. That seems a yummy gig.

Still open:
OregonNorth Dakota State
Morehead StateFresno State
Brown

Which one is most appealing??
Oregon - big Phil Knight money, great facilities, cool unis to help recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors