Bleeding Blue for Good WBB Fundraiser - a report

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Mitchells WBB Event Flyer.jpeg

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Sounds great but it's unfortunate this isn't in central CT somewhere.

Reaction Score
Westport is only 75 minutes south of Hartford, with the opportunity to meet our Huskies. Well worth the trip.
Agree. When there are games in Bridgeport and Mohegan Sun the house is packed so why not make a trip of similar distance for this?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Westport is only 75 minutes south of Hartford, with the opportunity to meet our Huskies. Well worth the trip.
"Only" 75 minutes? You must be somebody who drives a lot. We're retired and after somebody rear ended us a couple months ago I don't want to drive 20 minutes away with all the crazy drivers.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im planning on attending I live 10 minutes away.

Reaction Score
Fun event. Geno was hilarious in his interview with Meg and the women were very accommodating to all whom wanted autographs and pictures.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How many people attended?
I don't want to take a guess and be way off, but it was mobbed—standing room only—and representative of the Huskies' wide appeal: one minute Paige was posing with an infant, the next she was being praised by a 96-year-old former coach. Lots of well-behaved kids and middle-agers, too!

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any pictures from this event they're willing to post? Any quotes from Geno's speech?

Reaction Score
Geno was full of the one-liners as usual. Re-typing the quotes don't do them justice as his sarcastic deadpan delivery are usually what make the joke even funnier.

In any case, paraphrasing a few off the top of my head that seemed to get the most laughter:

-You guys got a good deal tonight. No one ever walks out of Mitchell's (the high-end clothing store hosting the event) only spending a hundred bucks (the cost to attend).

-Before the Big East tournament, people were tearing Ice apart on social media saying "She stinks...how can you waste a scholarship on her? And that was ME saying that!". (Yes, even Ice got a kick out of that one).

-Meg Culmo was talking about how long they had both been there and how old they both are now compared to when they started. Then she made a reference to menopause to which Geno quipped: Speak for yourself!

-He talked about how he puts a premium on a kids body language and if he sees them moping when things aren't going well he'll go up to them and say: Yeah keep moping....mope a little more and I'll definitely put you in.

It was vintage Geno for sure.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any pictures from this event they're willing to post? Any quotes from Geno's speech?
No pics, but plenty of quips:
  • When Paige was invited to the stage to roast Geno, he gestured to her outfit and said something like "Look at this." (Paige was dressed like a respectable, with-it college student, which right now means baggy pants.) Geno again: "Hey Mitchells"—the place for designers like Valentino and Saint Laurent and Jimmy Choo—"can you help with this?"
  • Paige to Geno: You say that in nearly forty years of coaching, you've seen it all. You also say, when we do something stupid, that in nearly forty years you've never seen anything so stupid. She wanted to know which it was, or how it could be both. Geno said that after they do something unprecedentedly stupid, he can say he's seen it all—until the next stupid thing they do. "So as usual, I'm right."
  • Before and after warmly commending Ice, Geno said that up until the tournament, there was endless talk about why he had recruited her...wasn't she supposed to be great...what had he been thinking.... "And all of those comments came from me."
  • After responding to a request from an attendee to talk about his viral riff on body language, Geno mentioned that he says to pouters, "Pout some more. Maybe I'll put you in."
  • I don't want to attempt to quote him on this, but Geno was splendid when discussing the new NIL realities. He's always been very good at recruiting the women who have the right attitude towards basketball, being coached, being a teammate. It's clear that now he's also good at drawing players who have the right attitude toward money, brands, hoopla—i.e., the external rewards at UConn are incredible, but that's not why UConn women commit to the school.

Reaction Score
An attendee to whom I just spoke said "or maybe double that."
I can't add anything right without an adding machine so I should have deferred the answer to that question to others.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
How many people attended?
I didn’t count but just a guess 300. The finger food was great 4 stations. Bar beer wine soft drinks and the Mitchell’s were wonderful. Shaking hands with everyone. Chatting and very hospitalize. You could understand why they are so successful. A truly first class night.

Reaction Score
Hi! I put my pics on an Imgur link. You can take a look if you are interested. Be fore warned that they are primarily of me, I did get a shot with the man, the myth, the legend @Tonyc

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Btw Paige needs a name tag? Lol

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I didn’t count but just a guess 300. The finger food was great 4 stations. Bar beer wine soft drinks and the Mitchell’s were wonderful. Shaking hands with everyone. Chatting and very hospitalize. You could understand why they are so successful. A truly first class night.
OMG. Finally put a face to the infamous TonyC !!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom