OT: - Bleacher Report - ACC schools exploring breakup | The Boneyard

OT: Bleacher Report - ACC schools exploring breakup

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

Edit: embedded link doesn’t seem to be working - “https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10076149-report-fsu-6-other-acc-schools-exploring-how-unbreakable-grant-of-rights-deal-is”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Interested GIF by reactionseditor

UNC leaving Duke behind?

Reaction Score
Fascinating story as many lawyers still think the GOR is airtight….

Reaction Score
That's the thing about the conference realignment is that nothing is really set in stone about schools leaving their conferences. Everything that seemed to be a deterrent to that such as exit fees, forfeiting revenue, etc has seemingly been broken in the past. Didn't other conferences have their schools poached after their grant of rights ended? It's not a rhetorical question, I genuinely don't know.

I never looked at the ACC GOR that lasts to 2037 to be some ironclad surefire thing that would prevent the ACC schools from being poached. If conference realignment taught us anything, or hell just life in general has taught us anything, where there is a will there is a way. I am no legal expert so feel free to dismiss my post. Maybe we need businesslawyer from the Boneyard to give his input.

Reaction Score
Gotta love how the Pitt, Cuse, Louisville, and BC fam bases must be thinking, especially the former 3. Half the conference is already sick of them lol
The only school out of those I would want back in the big east ..is Cuse

Reaction Score
UL and Pitt would probably get scooped up by the Big 12 (who I think was interested in both back in 2010-12 anyway). That would actually be an awesome little quadrant - them, WVU, and Cincy.

The rest… maybe Duke and GT are like 23 and 24 in a mega-B1G? If not, probably screwed. Wake is screwed. BC is screwed. Cuse is likely screwed. That said, I’d welcome all three as Big East members in this highly improbable doomsday scenario.

Reaction Score
UL and Pitt would probably get scooped up by the Big 12 (who I think was interested in both back in 2010-12 anyway). That would actually be an awesome little quadrant - them, WVU, and Cincy.

The rest… maybe Duke and GT are like 23 and 24 in a mega-B1G? If not, probably screwed. Wake is screwed. BC is screwed. Cuse is likely screwed. That said, I’d welcome all three as Big East members in this highly improbable doomsday scenario.
Idk why the B1G would bother with Georgia Tech

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Idk why the B1G would bother with Georgia Tech
For the Atlanta market. They only went after Rutgers for its proximity to NYC. The Big Ten prioritizes TV revenue. I'm not sure how that is going to turn out with streaming and such. They recognized that they had a bunch of large schools in tiny cities(West Lafayette, Iowa City, Bloomington, Champaign, etc) and decided they wanted to get into some big markets even if the schools they added had subpar sports programs. If the UCLA addition didn't work out I'm sure the Big Ten would have immediately invited ASU.

Reaction Score
For the Atlanta market. They only went after Rutgers for its proximity to NYC.
They took Rutgers and Maryland because a lot of B1G alum moved to the NY/DMV areas. They took UCLA and USC because of their actual value, but also because a ton of their grads live in SoCal. I have a feeling there aren’t a ton of Michigan and Northwestern grads in Atlanta but hey what do I know. The Georgia Tech fan base surely can’t carry the region as far as subscribers goes to justify the addition.

The B1G would be at least as well off nabbing Colorado when the PAC 12 falls apart.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Big Ten alumni are going to find a way to watch their regardless of where they live. The Big Ten is not following their alumni they are after total viewers watching their games for advertising revenue. Hypothetically, would you add the greater Boulder region or the Greater Phoenix region? The Big Ten wants to get in to the Atlanta market and GTech is the vehicle.

Reaction Score
I’d take back BC and Pitt as well. It would be very therapeutic to beat them like a drum annually. Lol

That's assuming that UConn stays in the BE. UConn might be on the move. The title run might boost us into another league with the remnants of the ACC teams

Reaction Score
That's assuming that UConn stays in the BE. UConn might be on the move. The title run might boost us into another league with the remnants of the ACC teams
I have zero interest in a league of GA Tech, VTech, Cuse, Duke, Wake, and BC. At that point the best option for both the BE and ACC would be to merge together, and force them to ditch the basketball tourney in Greensboro in favor of the BET at MSG

Reaction Score
I have zero interest in a league of GA Tech, VTech, Cuse, Duke, Wake, and BC. At that point the best option for both the BE and ACC would be to merge together, and force them to ditch the basketball tourney in Greensboro in favor of the BET at MSG

You may want zero interest as a fan, but joining a league that pays significantly more the what the Big East pays and finding a home for the football team is a priority for the university. Sports programs are not cheap.

I agree with your sentiment BTW, but I understand the reality of sports today

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That's the thing about the conference realignment is that nothing is really set in stone about schools leaving their conferences. Everything that seemed to be a deterrent to that such as exit fees, forfeiting revenue, etc has seemingly been broken in the past. Didn't other conferences have their schools poached after their grant of rights ended? It's not a rhetorical question, I genuinely don't know.

I never looked at the ACC GOR that lasts to 2037 to be some ironclad surefire thing that would prevent the ACC schools from being poached. If conference realignment taught us anything, or hell just life in general has taught us anything, where there is a will there is a way. I am no legal expert so feel free to dismiss my post. Maybe we need businesslawyer from the Boneyard to give his input.
Only ESPN can decide to break the ACC gor. They might, but it won’t be the schools.

Don’t hold your breath.

Reaction Score
You may want zero interest as a fan, but joining a league that pays significantly more the what the Big East pays and finding a home for the football team is a priority for the university. Sports programs are not cheap.

I agree with your sentiment BTW, but I understand the reality of sports today
I understand the money. I would take a B12 invite. Their media deal pays more than the ACC AND it's up for renegotiation in 2030, which is 6 years ahead of the ACC's first chance at renegotiating their deal.

I would absolutely not hitch my wagon to the ACC when 7 members are publicly trying to leave. That's how you end up with an AAC 2.0

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom