Blaney doesn't think that Calhiun knows if he is going to return | The Boneyard

Blaney doesn't think that Calhiun knows if he is going to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't blame me for such an inartful title.

Patrick Eaton Robb, the AP writer covering UConn, tweeted this from Husky Day:

"Calhoun was not at Husky Day. Assistant Blaney says he doesn't think the coach knows if he's going to return. UConn"

https://mobile.twitter.com/peatonrobb/status/195628227295850497

I guess if Calhoun doesn't know, then we sure as heck don't. However, quotes like this only create a spectacle.

Me thinks Napier will be looked at very favorably by UConn fans in a decade:

Napier "With everything going down the drain, everyone is coming together. " Whoever is on the team in Oct., I'm going to fight with them."

Reaction Score
If Calhoun does retire, I think he needs to do it by the middle of May or so in order for UConn to be able to have a national coaching search.

Last year Gary Williams retired in early May and Maryland was able to have plenty of candidates who were interested.

If this thing drags out to early July, we have issues.

Reaction Score
This quote just claifies the fact that I love Shabazz to death. While everybody else is fleeing like a house on fire, Shabazz has no intentions of going anywhere. He's going to stick around and fight, the true mark of a Calhoun player.

Reaction Score
I don't know about 10 years from now, but at this moment Shabazz is by far my favorite Husky.

Reaction Score
Don't blame me for such an inartful title.

Patrick Eaton Robb, the AP writer covering UConn, tweeted this from Husky Day:

"Calhoun was not at Husky Day. Assistant Blaney says he doesn't think the coach knows if he's going to return. UConn"

https://mobile.twitter.com/peatonrobb/status/195628227295850497

I guess if Calhoun doesn't know, then we sure as heck don't. However, quotes like this only create a spectacle.

Me thinks Napier will be looked at very favorably by UConn fans in a decade:

Napier "With everything going down the drain, everyone is coming together. " Whoever is on the team in Oct., I'm going to fight with them."

How much is the AP paying writers these days? Is it too much for the guy to use some quotes? Is that too difficult?

Did Blaney say, "Who knows? I don't know, he doesn't know..." or did he say, "I don't know, he probably doesn't even know," or did he say, "I don't think I know" and the reporter heard something else.

Reaction Score
is this a joke....

i honestly think blaney is talking about if calhoun is going to return to husky day or not...not UConn/retire!

relax.....

Reaction Score
Huh? He said "return?" Without quoting all of Robb's tweets, it's clear he is referencing a return to UConn coaching, not the Capitol.

For example:

"#UConn day at the Capitol. Napier says those who "didn't jump ship" hopeful APR rules will change, Calhoun will come back."

is this a joke....

i honestly think blaney is talking about if calhoun is going to return to husky day or not...not UConn/retire!

relax.....

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't know about 10 years from now, but at this moment Shabazz is by far my favorite Husky.

Lol! He is currently the only remaining Husky it feels like at times.....hopefully the holes have ben plugged and the damage is over in terms of defections.....

Reaction Score
Love this quote also from Shabazz:

"Everyone understands that their back is to the wall," Napier said. "And when your back is to the wall, the best thing you can do is fight with the person beside you. Some people just turned and ran, but that's on them.
"I'm just happy with the group of guys I have."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If that's really what Blaney said and he meant that JC isn't even sure if he's going to "return to coach this year", then Blaney should be taken out back and beaten. It's just a really dumb thing to say, especially from your Associate Head Coach who should know better than that.

Reaction Score
uconn did well when bazz played well..... would love nothing more than for this kid to play great next year. funny thing is, he may be as important as kemba was, just with a different result. love bazz.

Reaction Score
Who is the PR person for this team....blaney must be high to say that

Reaction Score
Enough of this BS. I love Calhoun, but this "Am I or Am I Not" is hurting the program. We went through this crap last year. Make a f'in decision, or at least decide on a date by which you'll make that decisison. This is hurting recruiting, hurting the program and it's tarnishing a great coach's legacy.

Reaction Score
Enough of this BS. I love Calhoun, but this "Am I or Am I Not" is hurting the program. We went through this crap last year. Make a f'in decision, or at least decide on a date by which you'll make that decisison. This is hurting recruiting, hurting the program and it's tarnishing a great coach's legacy.

I think recruiting is hurt more by the post season ban. As you said, we went through this last year, and the year before that, and those two classes turned out pretty good.

Reaction Score
Weird situation. I dont want to start a conspiracy but maybe some of these guys bailed because they really think Calhoun may not come back. I know the post season ban was a huge factor but the thought of Calhoun retiring had to carry some weight.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If that's really what Blaney said and he meant that JC isn't even sure if he's going to "return to coach this year", then Blaney should be taken out back and beaten. It's just a really dumb thing to say, especially from your Associate Head Coach who should know better than that.

My thoughts exactly - shut the duck* up, George.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly - shut the duck* up, George.

It would be a very dumb thing to say "off the cuff," my only worry would be the unlikely event that Blaney is preparing us for JC not coming back (with JC's knowledge).

Reaction Score
This is all so frustrating, it's bad enough what the NCAA is doing to us and how our team has been gutted as a result but what the hell is going on behind the scenes? I'm very worried that we've resigned ourselves to this BS punishment from the NCAA, we absolutely have to sue. Now the silence from Calhoun coupled with this statement by Blaney, things just get more frustrating every day. It's annoying that Calhoun has to tell everyone whether he is coming back before every season but he put himself in this position. He told the media he would decide his future plans final 4 weekend and would let everyone know. With all that is going on it's essential that Calhoun makes a decision now. I read this quote and I'm just shaking my head, why exactly is George Blaney our associate head coach? If Calhoun does come back next year and Blaney is in the same position and becomes our head coach when JC misses his annual couple of games I will absolutely lose my .

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It would be a very dumb thing to say "off the cuff," my only worry would be the unlikely event that Blaney is preparing us for JC not coming back (with JC's knowledge).

My mother is not particularly old, but she's old enough. She has a dog that is about a year old. Every now and again, she will ask me what would happen to the dog in the unfortunate event that her life's odometer stops advancing.

I don't want to mislead her, so I tell her that I view her and the dog as a package deal - if mom heads to the afterlife, unless my brothers decide to adopt it, the dog will join her very, very shortly. Perhaps even in a matter of minutes.

George needs to realize that we view him much the same way. If Jim goes, there will be a line of Boneyarders at the UConn hoop offices packing George's personal effects in boxes and possibly driving them to his house. We might even drive George back to his house if we have room.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine George wants or thinks he will be coaching here when Calhoun retires, he's older than Moses. George's reasons for being our assistant, he's good friends with JC and he acts as his shrink.

Reaction Score
My mother is not particularly old, but she's old enough. She has a dog that is about a year old. Every now and again, she will ask me what would happen to the dog in the unfortunate event that her life's odometer stops advancing.

I don't want to mislead her, so I tell her that I view her and the dog as a package deal - if mom heads to the afterlife, unless my brothers decide to adopt it, the dog will join her very, very shortly. Perhaps even in a matter of minutes.

George needs to realize that we view him much the same way. If Jim goes, there will be a line of Boneyarders at the UConn hoop offices packing George's personal effects in boxes and possibly driving them to his house. We might even drive George back to his house if we have room.

Damn that's coldblooded but funny. I like George... on the other hand, I'd also offer to pay for the gas.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine George wants or thinks he will be coaching here when Calhoun retires, he's older than Moses. George's reasons for being our assistant, he's good friends with JC and he acts as his shrink.

Yeah...George is eligible for Medicare and he's made good money. I don't think he'll be looking to hang around if JC goes. I don't think he's anxious to head to the SPCA or anything, but he'll go when Calhoun goes.

I think JC is going to retire. He's a tough Irishman and that means he's a loyal SOB. Which means he is going to have a hard time leaving what he's built. Which is also why he's built what he's built and why I love him. But for the program, it's time. Not because he can't coach or recruit anymore, but because a lot of what's coming at us is personally directed toward him. That aspect is probably leaving him wanting to fight (it did last year)...but it's an unwinnable battle. It might be winnable 10 years from now in court (probably would be) but that won't do him or us any good. He has a great family and has had a great career, and it's time to enjoy those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom