OT: - Bill Walton | The Boneyard

OT: Bill Walton

Reaction Score
"I love getting high"

I'm pretty sure he just said this on the air while announcing ucla/asu. It was after a block and walton said he got high and followed that up with "I love getting high"

His partner I think said oh boy and started play by play again.

Bill Walton greatest announcer today

Reaction Score
Love Walton... He helps makes the game entertaining. That's his job as a color man. Would you rather have some super straight laced x and o guy? And if you loathe Walton, how can you like Raftery? Raftery spends half the game talking about his drinking adventures.

For those of you muting him, you are missing him (in between dolphin and dead show stories) breaking down the game with perfection. In our Maui games this year, he saw our mistake in press breaking after the first Jalen turnover. Took the rest of the coaching staff 7 more before we changed our approach.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I like a commentator who calls the game as it is, rather than one who talks incessantly about nothing for entertainment value. Walton thinks he's hilarious, and loves hearing himself ramble and going off topic all the time. He's terrible.

Walton reminds me a lot of Chief -- someone who thinks they're relevant, but they're just around for laughs. An old, tired act.

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I like a commentator who calls the game as it is, rather than one who talks incessantly about nothing for entertainment value. Walton thinks he's hilarious, and loves hearing himself ramble and going off topic all the time. He's terrible.

Walton reminds me a lot of Chief -- someone who thinks they're relevant, but they're just around for laughs. An old, tired act.

To each their own. Knows the game really well, mixes in some fun stories which he has. As boog said much rather hear him than the many stiffs out there with zero personality and actually think they know something.

Reaction Score

Walton is generally considered one of the smartest basketball players to ever play. He might try to be funny sometimes, but questioning his basketball knowledge or "relevancy" is pretty dumb imo. Raftery is my #1 color guy, but Walton is firmly entrenched at #2.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Walton is generally considered one of the smartest basketball players to ever play. He might try to be funny sometimes, but questioning his basketball knowledge or "relevancy" is pretty dumb imo. Raftery is my #1 color guy, but Walton is firmly entrenched at #2.

When did I ever question his basketball knowledge? Yes, he was a smart player during his time, but that doesn't translate to commentating. He's an awful commentator. He tries too hard to be funny and he rambles.

Reaction Score
When did I ever question his basketball knowledge? Yes, he was a smart player during his time, but that doesn't translate to commentating. He's an awful commentator. He tries too hard to be funny and he rambles.

By questioning their relevancy, are you not providing an indictment on his purpose? It's not like he breaks down the Europe 72 tour for the entire game. He'll talk about Jerry's genius on "Morning Dew" and go other places, but he is making really good observations about the game, too. In fact, I'll argue that the pure basketball "color" that he brings is superior to most color guys. To each their own, obviously, but this is probably the 3rd or 4th thread on him this season.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Love Walton... He helps makes the game entertaining. That's his job as a color man. Would you rather have some super straight laced x and o guy? And if you loathe Walton, how can you like Raftery? Raftery spends half the game talking about his drinking adventures.

For those of you muting him, you are missing him (in between dolphin and dead show stories) breaking down the game with perfection. In our Maui games this year, he saw our mistake in press breaking after the first Jalen turnover. Took the rest of the coaching staff 7 more before we changed our approach.

Every single time Walton calls an Oregon game he says how great they are by referencing their win over us in Maui...

That being said, love Walton and can't get enough of his broadcasts. Was hilarious meeting him in Maui. Will be interesting to see what he knows about a non-Pac 12 game on Saturday...

Reaction Score
It would be one thing if he kept his monologues somewhat relevant to the action, but I'll never forget his obsession with the twirling dolphins in Maui. He really made those games not watchable with the sound on.
Was that against chaminade? I would be more infatuated with twirling dolphins at that point also. Lol

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
"This is the best game I've seen Payton Pritchard play!" - Walton
"This is the first game you've seen him play" - Buzzkillington play by play guy

Love that man.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Best Walton shtick is when he starts talking about his teepee

Or in one of the Arizona games earlier in the year when he brought Pasch 11 bottles of "air" from various Grateful Dead shows...

Reaction Score
I think if Bill worked with our bigs for 1 or 2 days it would be a revelation.

Reaction Score
This is the 3rd thread on Walton this year and the 8th in the past 2. Not only do I love Bill Walton (even though I agree with Nomar's sentiment), I also love Bill Walton threads. The exact same people chime in with support of Bill and with disgust. Now that I have added some pro-Walton sentiments, we are only waiting for bigern to praise the big fella and then we are all set with the regulars.

Obligatory random Walton video that cracks me up.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This is the 3rd thread on Walton this year and the 8th in the past 2. Not only do I love Bill Walton (even though I agree with Nomar's sentiment), I also love Bill Walton threads. The exact same people chime in with support of Bill and with disgust. Now that I have added some pro-Walton sentiments, we are only waiting for bigern to praise the big fella and then we are all set with the regulars.

Obligatory random Walton video that cracks me up.

A+ Walton right here. Also Nomar nailed it. Like Walton in every non UCONN game available.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom