Bill Simmons on Kemba | The Boneyard

Bill Simmons on Kemba

Reaction Score
This doesn't fit with what we know about Kemba and I don't normally listen to Simmons but this is out there...

Bill Simmons revealed “Kemba ignored rehabilitation he was asked to do” | Basketball Network

Reaction Score
I think my two favorite Simmons podcast moments were when he said he knew the step back three Ray hit against San Antonio was a tough shot because he tried it in a pickup game and couldn't do it, and when Ryen Russillo said he understood the mentality of the characters in The Town from his days growing up on Martha's Vineyard.

Not really germane to the post but just an opportunity to point out that while he puts out some good content the guy can be a first rate bozo.

If the story is true that seems to fly in the face of everything Kemba’s about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
used to love simmons in college but found myself disagreeing with him more and more as i got older.

russillo = captain obvious. seems like the type of guy that would have stuffed simmons into a locker in high school but now is just riding his coattails instead.

Reaction Score
I think my two favorite Simmons podcast moments were when he said he knew the step back three Ray hit against San Antonio was a tough shot because he tried it in a pickup game and couldn't do it, and when Ryen Russillo said he understood the mentality of the characters in The Town from his days growing up on Martha's Vineyard.

Not really germane to the post but just an opportunity to point out that while he puts out some good content the guy can be a first rate bozo.
I like Simmons when I first read him and he was talking about The Real World and Different Strokes but he's a really annoying guy, Russillo also seems like a tool. Did Russillo really say that?

Reaction Score
Simmons schtick has been old for awhile now. He was great in 2004 when he was writing for all the Sox fans that were on that crazy run. Since then ESPN grew tired of him and his material has not adapted with the times. He’s a tired and broken record still trying to make mid 90s metaphors that we have all heard a ton of times

Reaction Score
I like Simmons when I first read him and he was talking about The Real World and Different Strokes but he's a really annoying guy, Russillo also seems like a tool. Did Russillo really say that?

I'm sure I'm taking liberties but the gist was that he gets these guys as a New Englander (Martha's Vineyard.)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Russello hasn’t recovered from being found passed out drunk with his pants off in the wrong hotel room.

Reaction Score
It's clearly a leak from the Celtics, and we do know that Kemba wasn't fully healed for the bubble despite a long amount of time off. That's just a fact.

I agree that it doesn't seem like him and his work ethic, but we know how hard Polley said rehabbing was during the pandemic at home.

As always, truth is probably in the middle.

Reaction Score
when you have $30M a year guaranteed for several years, maybe the work ethic diminishes. Simmons is close with Wyc and other owners, so that's where this is coming from. no one knocked the deal, no reason for the owners to slander Kemba, so there is no reason to think it isn't factual

Reaction Score
when you have $30M a year guaranteed for several years, maybe the work ethic diminishes. Simmons is close with Wyc and other owners, so that's where this is coming from. no one knocked the deal, no reason for the owners to slander Kemba, so there is no reason to think it isn't factual

A universally-beloved player just got shipped out of town. There are plenty of reasons to believe it isn't factual.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The C's killed Ray after he left as well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Simmons peaked with “Grading the Wimbledon Babes,” and it’s a wonder he hasn’t been cancelled for it.

Reaction Score
Simmons peaked with “Grading the Wimbledon Babes,” and it’s a wonder he hasn’t been cancelled for it.

Reaction Score
And who told Simmons? One of the owners? The team doctor? Trainer? They do workouts on zoom and Kemba's "camera wouldn't work"? Story stinks. Bet Stevens is pissed this BS was put out there

Reaction Score
Regardless of people's opinions on Simmons and Russillo, this claim is based on fact. Not a sportswriters opinion.

I didn't read the article, but from @superjohn 's headline, Simmons is claiming that Kemba disregarded rehab. That's not an opinion. That's a matter of fact.

Simmons, with his prestige, wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. Or, he wouldn't say it if he didn't absolutely trust his source(s).

Reaction Score
Regardless of people's opinions on Simmons and Russillo, this claim is based on fact. Not a sportswriters opinion.

I didn't read the article, but from @superjohn 's headline, Simmons is claiming that Kemba disregarded rehab. That's not an opinion. That's a matter of fact.

Simmons, with his prestige, wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. Or, he wouldn't say it if he didn't absolutely trust his source(s).
Everything you just wrote is opinion and not fact. Just because Simmons' sources in the Celtics front office says something and he reports it doesn't make it true. Simmons puts out nonsense all the time that's easily refuted

Reaction Score

What?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I’m partial to the atrocious gm summit.

It’s a fantastic piece

Reaction Score
He is and always has been a horses ass. Has nothing to do with this. Jesus hated the Simmons love when i was at the WWL.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He did good work with the Levels of Losing. God knows I could relate given Laettner, Lemieux and the Sox

Reaction Score
Only post when something really gets me fired up because I’m too lazy to log in…I can understand the Simmons criticisms but every take above about Ryen Russillo is the incorrect one. Best sports media personality in the business by a mile. Smart, level headed, thoughtful, need more opinion people like this. I’ll hang up and listen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom