Biggest difference under Hurley? | The Boneyard

Biggest difference under Hurley?

Reaction Score
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel - 1.5 (assists per 40)

Sticks - 1.6

Gavin - 1.0

AO - 0.4

Lamb - 2.1

Roscoe - 0.6

Niels - 1.4

Chuck - 1.1

Olander - 1.9

Andre - 0.6

Daniels - 0.9

Omar - 1.7

Nolan - 0.6

Wolf - 1.7

Kromah - 2.9

Facey - 0.8

Brimah - 0.4

D-Ham - 5.3 (outlier alert)

Shonn Miller - 1.1

Enoch - 0.5

Durham - 1.2

V. Jackson - 2.1

Larrier - 1.2

Carlton - 1.0

Polley - 0.8

Whaley - 1.5

Cobb - 1.4

That is the complete list of guys taller than 6'4 to play meaningful minutes at UConn for a period of over a decade. Now compare to this season...

Newton - 6.3

Hawkins - 2.8

A. Jackson - 7.3

Karaban - 2.8

Sanogo - 2

Much has been made about the culture change Dan Hurley brought with him to UConn, but culture change without the corresponding shift in personnel, scheme, and general ideology is just spitting in the wind. Now nearly five full years and four true recruiting classes - the first of which never truly materialized due to COVID and untimely injuries - into Hurley's tenure at UConn, we've finally caught a glimpse of the philosophical overhaul he's imposed on this program.

And if the early returns are any indication, I must admit I feel a bit foolish to have been merely lukewarm on the hire. It is no overstatement - even before we attempt to qualify the roster turnover, inexperience, and relative talent limitations that make UConn's start so stunning - to describe their non-conference performance as among the most dominant in recent CBB history. The new-look Huskies drew five KenPom top 50 opponents in their OOC slate, dispatching them by an average of 17.8 points per game and outperforming the spread by an unthinkable 68.5 points (13.7 PPG) over that span (even the 2014 team only outperformed the spread by 55.5 points over the final five games of the tournament). To my knowledge, there is scarcely a precedent for the books to make this type of adjustment, this quickly.

UConn likes to start its offense from alignments like the one below:

Hawkins is going to set a pindown for Newton and then loop around Sonogo, who fakes a dribble handoff, chips the trail defender in Boone, and floats a touch pass to Hawkins as he gains a head of steam, all in one motion. Hawkins will then catch the ball in the paint, eventually come to a jump stop, and fire it to Diarra for an open corner three. It's an impressive display of body control from the Sophomore guard to halt his momentum without barreling over the help defender, but it's also a function of smart design. Sanogo's pivot at the top of the key briefly displaces Boone, which helps - along with the concurrent screen Karaban sets for Newton - create an abbreviated four on three from the foul line down.

This is one of many ways that UConn likes to leverage Hawkins' shooting prowess, and a perfect encapsulation of the motion that binds Hurley's offense together in the absence of a ball dominant guard. (Hawkins may very well grow more comfortable using/splitting ball screens over time, in which case they can skip the middle man - but for now, it's smart to simplify for him.)

The hierarchy of Hurley's offense is very much the polar opposite of what we grew accustomed to for so many years. Many sets begin with the five either catching or screening in the high post, and while the end-game often amounts to a guard or wing using a ball screen, their facilitation requires a far more diverse skillset than most college forwards are capable of providing. Such a skillset entails not only the ability to pass, but as importantly, the ability to screen. Great college forwards can control a game with firm, timely screens much like great offensive line in football. (Guys like Steph Curry and Klay Thompson are also famous for reaping the rewards of their own screens - something Hawkins has shown the willingness to do.)

Originally pictured: footage from a possession that occurred around 14 minutes into the first half of the Oregon game that resulted in a Calcaterra three.

Karaban and Sanogo might not seem like a central actors on this play (especially with half the screen being devoted to Phil Knight), but it's their presence as burly, multi-faceted entry ports that creates so much of the confusion here. Karaban's slight bump at the high post prompts Richardson to pass him off to the help defender, Bittle (I'm still not quite certain whether Oregon thinks they're in man or zone on this play, but for the purposes of this discussion it doesn't much matter), perhaps anticipating some sort of flare screen or pindown to free Newton, who'd already made two in the game. Instead, Karaban clears out, dragging Bittle with him and effectively removing him from the play.

Meanwhile, Sanogo pops over from the adjacent high post to set a ball screen. As that's going on, Hawkins cycles back to the top of the key, and Sanogo's corresponding dive functions as a de facto screen. By the time Newton peels off the ball screen, Richardson's forced to pinch down on Sanogo and leaves Calcaterra for an open three on the weakside.

Although Sanogo and Hawkins have unquestionably been UConn's best, most dynamic offensive players, it's the skillsets of Karaban and Jackson (though he wasn't in the game on this play), in particular, that allow UConn to regularly operate from this alignment. They are the steady hands, fused through the humble art of screening, post entry, and ball reversal, that alleviate congestion, dictate pace, and ultimately accentuate the transformative talents around them.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
aint nobody got time for that GIF

Reaction Score
A couple months ago there was a post on this board questioning whether Hurley’s stock had fallen so far that Seton Hall didn’t even think to reach out to him when their HC job opened up, so I gotta say a post like this makes me laugh a little bit. What have you done for me lately indeed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A couple months ago there was a post on this board questioning whether Hurley’s stock had fallen so far that Seton Hall didn’t even think to reach out to him when their HC job opened up, so I gotta say a post like this makes me laugh a little bit. What have you done for me lately indeed.
It’s a bit like the people thinking Belichick is soon to be fired. Dan had some things to figure out, but there was no reason to think he wouldn’t and he was a crazy good recruiter.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Cherry picking based on height rather than position tells me little but if you are saying that DH is the next coming of God please carry on. Recruitment in the NBE has a huge advantage over the AAC.
The team has performed extremely well so far and it is great to see. As a long time UConn fan I can only hope that it continues. Having better players should reap better results. I hope the success carries on into the NBE season, tournament and NCAA tournament
If it does it will be a great ride
The biggest difference is the level of talent which is welcomed. DC is the one player that will make the difference between a good season and a great one. Anytime you can replace your best player with someone of DC’s talent level is just unfair!
Also the smell of burnt sage in the arena is a different new twist.
On to Butler and the NBE season

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Somewhere in the premise of the original post is that Hurley is a better coach than Calhoun based on one stat for a handful of games this season (about half of which are against terrible opponents) compared to the same stat over a full season in prior years.

Let’s just enjoy this season on its own merits.

Reaction Score
The point of being a college basketball coach is to win. This is a winning team because we have four players that one can argue are talented enough to be first team all conference. We have won four championships with teams where our fourth best player wasn’t nearly as good as whomever you think our fourth best player is this year.

Great analysis in the OP, and our scheme fits our players perfectly, but let’s not lose sight of the real story here. As it always is in college sports, it’s less about the X’s and O’s and more about the Jimmies and the Joes. And Hurley has loaded the roster with some great Jimmies and Joes.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Cherry picking based on height rather than position tells me little but if you are saying that DH is the next coming of God please carry on. Recruitment in the NBE has a huge advantage over the AAC.
The team has performed extremely well so far and it is great to see. As a long time UConn fan I can only hope that it continues. Having better players should reap better results. I hope the success carries on into the NBE season, tournament and NCAA tournament
If it does it will be a great ride
The biggest difference is the level of talent which is welcomed. DC is the one player that will make the difference between a good season and a great one. Anytime you can replace your best player with someone of DC’s talent level is just unfair!
Also the smell of burnt sage in the arena is a different new twist.
On to Butler and the NBE season

Hurley without a national championship is recruiting as well or better as Calhoun with one. And the players seem to like playing for him, maybe better than kids liked playing for Calhoun.

He has a way to go to catch JC in other aspects of coaching, but he's a worthy successor for sure. Hurley is far superior to Ollie and JC is the standard to which he'll be compared.

Reaction Score
Sticks, Alex, Chuck, Enoch, Nolan you lost me at that list. No one wanted those guys to pass the ball, heck Brimah made Sanogo look like Pistol Pete.

But your focus is correct it’s nice to have multiple people on the court who can make a pass when needed. That has been an issue for quite a while. But it also helps in the assist category when multiple people can shoot and score because then passes hit the assist stat.

Reaction Score
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel - 1.5 (assists per 40)

Sticks - 1.6

Gavin - 1.0

AO - 0.4

Lamb - 2.1

Roscoe - 0.6

Niels - 1.4

Chuck - 1.1

Olander - 1.9

Andre - 0.6

Daniels - 0.9

Omar - 1.7

Nolan - 0.6

Wolf - 1.7

Kromah - 2.9

Facey - 0.8

Brimah - 0.4

D-Ham - 5.3 (outlier alert)

Shonn Miller - 1.1

Enoch - 0.5

Durham - 1.2

V. Jackson - 2.1

Larrier - 1.2

Carlton - 1.0

Polley - 0.8

Whaley - 1.5

Cobb - 1.4

That is the complete list of guys taller than 6'4 to play meaningful minutes at UConn for a period of over a decade. Now compare to this season...

Newton - 6.3

Hawkins - 2.8

A. Jackson - 7.3

Karaban - 2.8

Sanogo - 2

Much has been made about the culture change Dan Hurley brought with him to UConn, but culture change without the corresponding shift in personnel, scheme, and general ideology is just spitting in the wind. Now nearly five full years and four true recruiting classes - the first of which never truly materialized due to COVID and untimely injuries - into Hurley's tenure at UConn, we've finally caught a glimpse of the philosophical overhaul he's imposed on this program.

And if the early returns are any indication, I must admit I feel a bit foolish to have been merely lukewarm on the hire. It is no overstatement - even before we attempt to qualify the roster turnover, inexperience, and relative talent limitations that make UConn's start so stunning - to describe their non-conference performance as among the most dominant in recent CBB history. The new-look Huskies drew five KenPom top 50 opponents in their OOC slate, dispatching them by an average of 17.8 points per game and outperforming the spread by an unthinkable 68.5 points (13.7 PPG) over that span (even the 2014 team only outperformed the spread by 55.5 points over the final five games of the tournament). To my knowledge, there is scarcely a precedent for the books to make this type of adjustment, this quickly.

UConn likes to start its offense from alignments like the one below:

Hawkins is going to set a pindown for Newton and then loop around Sonogo, who fakes a dribble handoff, chips the trail defender in Boone, and floats a touch pass to Hawkins as he gains a head of steam, all in one motion. Hawkins will then catch the ball in the paint, eventually come to a jump stop, and fire it to Diarra for an open corner three. It's an impressive display of body control from the Sophomore guard to halt his momentum without barreling over the help defender, but it's also a function of smart design. Sanogo's pivot at the top of the key briefly displaces Boone, which helps - along with the concurrent screen Karaban sets for Newton - create an abbreviated four on three from the foul line down.

This is one of many ways that UConn likes to leverage Hawkins' shooting prowess, and a perfect encapsulation of the motion that binds Hurley's offense together in the absence of a ball dominant guard. (Hawkins may very well grow more comfortable using/splitting ball screens over time, in which case they can skip the middle man - but for now, it's smart to simplify for him.)

The hierarchy of Hurley's offense is very much the polar opposite of what we grew accustomed to for so many years. Many sets begin with the five either catching or screening in the high post, and while the end-game often amounts to a guard or wing using a ball screen, their facilitation requires a far more diverse skillset than most college forwards are capable of providing. Such a skillset entails not only the ability to pass, but as importantly, the ability to screen. Great college forwards can control a game with firm, timely screens much like great offensive line in football. (Guys like Steph Curry and Klay Thompson are also famous for reaping the rewards of their own screens - something Hawkins has shown the willingness to do.)

Originally pictured: footage from a possession that occurred around 14 minutes into the first half of the Oregon game that resulted in a Calcaterra three.

Karaban and Sanogo might not seem like a central actors on this play (especially with half the screen being devoted to Phil Knight), but it's their presence as burly, multi-faceted entry ports that creates so much of the confusion here. Karaban's slight bump at the high post prompts Richardson to pass him off to the help defender, Bittle (I'm still not quite certain whether Oregon thinks they're in man or zone on this play, but for the purposes of this discussion it doesn't much matter), perhaps anticipating some sort of flare screen or pindown to free Newton, who'd already made two in the game. Instead, Karaban clears out, dragging Bittle with him and effectively removing him from the play.

Meanwhile, Sanogo pops over from the adjacent high post to set a ball screen. As that's going on, Hawkins cycles back to the top of the key, and Sanogo's corresponding dive functions as a de facto screen. By the time Newton peels off the ball screen, Richardson's forced to pinch down on Sanogo and leaves Calcaterra for an open three on the weakside.

Although Sanogo and Hawkins have unquestionably been UConn's best, most dynamic offensive players, it's the skillsets of Karaban and Jackson (though he wasn't in the game on this play), in particular, that allow UConn to regularly operate from this alignment. They are the steady hands, fused through the humble art of screening, post entry, and ball reversal, that alleviate congestion, dictate pace, and ultimately accentuate the transformative talents around them.

Well done!!!!

Reaction Score
It’s a bit like the people thinking Belichick is soon to be fired. Dan had some things to figure out, but there was no reason to think he wouldn’t and he was a crazy good recruiter.

I think most of the non-crazies (+me) were saying that Hurley has this year or next to make a splash in the tournament. At least a couple of wins. I'm sticking by that. That being said, I can't imagine us not winning a game or two this year.

Reaction Score
I think most of the non-crazies (+me) were saying that Hurley has this year or next to make a splash in the tournament. At least a couple of wins. I'm sticking by that. That being said, I can't imagine us not winning a game or two this year.
If the Huskies are a top 2 seed do the expectations change? Say they're a 2 seed, does getting to the Sweet 16 satisfy or is that a big disappointment?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Seasons like this do not happen every year. We need a deep March run by this Huskies team.

Reaction Score
If the Huskies are a top 2 seed do the expectations change? Say they're a 2 seed, does getting to the Sweet 16 satisfy or is that a big disappointment?
A #2 seed getting to the Sweet 16 is fine. We're not going to penalize Hurley for having a "too good" regular season.

Reaction Score
Seasons like this do not happen every year. We need a deep March run by this Huskies team.
Agreed. That's pretty much what I was getting at. Before the season it felt like the Sweet 16 was a realistic goal. But now that has changed.

Reaction Score

I would be disappointed in the moment of course, but I would consider it generally successful in the long run. It's the 1 and done losses to lower seed that really tarnished Hurley's reputation as a tourney coach.

Reaction Score

Think it depends on the whole situation in the next game like who,, where, how they play etc.. Also depends on how the rest of the season goes from here on in. Too early to be good with Sweet 16 or not for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom