Big East's Next Media Deal | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Big East's Next Media Deal

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
All of these Football media deals have NOTHING to do with what a network will pay for only basketball content. This is idiotic.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Historically, things work out bad for us but well for the hanger-ones around us. Outlook is good for PC.

Reaction Score
Frank the Tank is actually channeling Bret Yormark. Yormark’s idea (vision) was for the Big12 to grab UConn then some other BBall only schools (Gonzaga, Dayton, etc.) and create a mega conference. He still may do it.

Reaction Score
Patience is a virtue and The Basketball Capital Of The World wasn't built in a day.

From 1986-1988 UConn Basketball finished last in the Big East. 3 years in a row.
In 1990 UConn finished tied for first
It took 10 years in the conference to climb that hill. The rest is history.

2004 Big East Football Standings - UConn finished 5th in its first year
2010 Big East Football Standings - UConn finished 2nd behind WVU and went to the Fiesta Bowl

The next conference will begin the next chapter.
We did not finish second behind WVU. Where in the world did that come from? We finished as co-champions, in a 3-way tie with WVU and Pitt, and got the Fiesta Bowl bid because we beat both WVU and Pitt head to head.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think he's unable to make a good joke because of the guilt he carries around from never finishing the story of his European vacation.
I just borrowed the Dallas reboot storyline of Bobby coming out of the shower and telling Pam it was all a dream.

CL82

Reaction Score
Oh for God sakes. We have to do this again?
Have to? No. Going to?
Happy Russell Westbrook GIF by jumpman23

Reaction Score
Oh for God sakes. We have to do this again? The basketball onlies won't share football revenue -- for obvious reasons -- and have no interest in either a coast to coast all sports conference or having football schools have the power to prevent what they want to do for basketball.
Again, you could have separate voting systems for members. If the BB schools got an extra million that's like a 20 percent bump. It could be done, they should just have no say over FB matters and vice versa. The Big East is considered power conference.

Biggest problem with that is i don't see SDSU and Colorado State paying 34 million dollar exit fees unless it's to make big money.

Reaction Score
Fox just got their hands on a boatload more basketball games at schools people care about, so I can't imagine the Big East is going to have much leverage.
I posted this elsewhere, but I will post it again because the post explained FOX's need for Big East inventory:

Before I explain who holds various media rights, you need to recognize that the conference networks, BTN, ACCN, and SECN have drastically reduced basketball content as you need to broadcast something of value to maintain carriage.

In the future, FOX owns the media rights for some Big 10 basketball and some Big 12 basketball. Here are what seem to be the commitments (they will probably change slightly with the movement of the Pac 12 teams):

Big 10 basketball games: 126 on BTN, 47 on Peacock, 45 on FOX/FS1, some games on CBS, and the Big 10 Tournament on CBS. (The number of games on FOX are about the same as in the old contract.

Big 12 basketball games: ESPN remains the primary rights holder, but some games will be on FOX/FS1. The number on FOX/FS1 has not been defined as of yet. Championship on ESPN.

ACC and SEC basketball: No games on FOX. Championships on ESPN.

Mountain West basketball games: 45 on CBSSN, 32 on FS1, 2 on CBS, and 1 on FOX. (Runs through 2025/2026, but not really material to the Big East as these are late night games.). Championship on CBS.

Let's now look at the Big East and Pac 12.

Big East basketball games: 120 games on FOX/FS1, 3 on CBS, 19 on CBSSN. The entire Big East basketball tournament is on FS1/FOX.

Pac 12 basketball games: 19 games on FS1, 3 games on FOX. (No contract going forward.). Championship on ESPN.

Overall FOX basketball inventory today is ~223 games with one conference tournament (Big East). Contracted after 2025/2026 ~80 to 90 games per year with no conference tournaments.

One last point. Yormark recognized the flaw in the Big 12's media inventory: he needed more Eastern time zone content for both football and primarily for basketball. (Remember 47% of the country lives in the Eastern time zone.). FS1 has 6:30 PM time slots on weekdays for basketball, but the Big 12 has only 3 Eastern time zone schools. So, the Big 12 does not have enough content for 6:30 PM time slots as you can not start weekday games at 5:30 PM Central time or 4:30 PM Mountain time.

It looks to me that FOX needs the Big East to fill the college basketball content hole.

Reaction Score
I posted it elsewhere but this story is important that UConn was part of B12's plan, and the PAC destruction happened. Also, media partners haven't approved any new additions so there isn't 17 and 18.

Regardless, UConn has to make sure it's football program is very good. It is a matter is survival.

Reaction Score
Add the service academies (replace Colorado State with Air Force), don't add SLU or Gonzaga and this would be a fun national conference.
I like the idea of keep all sports regional except for football.

I mean if UConn and the PAC4 can form a national football only conference, it can definitely get some eye balls. It might get $10M+ per year per team too via streaming and linear combo.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of keep all sports regional except for football.

I mean if UConn and the PAC4 can form a national football only conference, it can definitely get some eye balls. It might get $10M+ per year per team too via streaming and linear combo.
Its obvious Apple wants in the game. They can work with the PAC 4 in plucking schools from multiple time zones and give it a whirl. They should probably require the schools to have a minimum level of investment/budget for football. No cheapskates.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Do you have your own analysis, or just angry ranting?
I could probably develop some analysis of how great it’s going to be when we get a raise from FOX to a whopping 6.8 mil a year. But for now, just ranting. Also it was drunk and not angry. My wife always confuses those two as well.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

And that my friends is why PC is PC. Providence has accomplished zero over the past decade other than a few weeks in the top 25 and a few NCAA tourney apearances. And for their fanbase, it's "just fine". Show up, do the bare minimum and collect a paycheck. No Big East contract in the past 40 years has every hinged on anything PC does on the floor.

Go back 25 years and you have one time you've made it to the second weekend of the tourney.

No one pays money to a conference for PC basketball.

Reaction Score
It's cringe to you because it's true as far as PC is concerned

Your conference did ok because you had a host you sucked the blood out of in Villanova

Now that they were finally depleated of every drop, we come along and give you a new blood supply.

What's a leech to do if there are no more hosts?

CL82

Reaction Score
Its obvious Apple wants in the game. They can work with the PAC 4 in plucking schools from multiple time zones and give it a whirl. They should probably require the schools to have a minimum level of investment/budget for football. No cheapskates.
I think it's a bad idea and I hope it doesn't happen, but the big east is ideal for Apple to stick to claim in college sports broadcasting. We are more affordable than a major football conference; have some decent marquee teams located in high population areas (which matters for potential subscribers); and we provide more content than football games would. They could easily take us off the board for say $15 million per school. I think the conference would have to take it, but it would be god awful in terms of visibility. You would never catch casual fans just looking for a game, because no one is going to Apple to look for a game unless their fans of those specific teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom