Big East Transfer Portal Thread | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Big East Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The lesser Iona guys (so not Jenkins) likely knew the deal going in.

Quinn Slazinski likely can grad transfer so isn't harmed by the portal being closed.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t this be like when Andre came and we had to make it work scholarship wise for him? I could be missing something on how this may be different though.

Reaction Score
Can "walk ons" get enough NIL money to cover their scholarship cost? Maybe Pitino will convert someone to walk on status.
Ding ding ding. I’ve heard nobody is being kicked anywhere. In addition, Pitino is loved by his former players.

Reaction Score
Ding ding ding. I’ve heard nobody is being kicked anywhere. In addition, Pitino is loved by his former players.
Can "walk ons" get enough NIL money to cover their scholarship cost? Maybe Pitino will convert someone to walk on status.

If this is what happens then I fully retract my post #550-I certainly hope so for that player's sake.

Reaction Score

If this is what happens then I fully retract my post #550-I certainly hope so for that player's sake.
I feel like there's some rule preventing, or at least complicating, this. Similar when Drummond ended up as a "preferred(?)" walkon. Could be a non-issue since NIL basically blew up everything

Reaction Score
I feel like there's some rule preventing, or at least complicating, this. Similar when Drummond ended up as a "preferred(?)" walkon. Could be a non-issue since NIL basically blew up everything
I'm not sure how NIL plays in, could probably just pay him under (or over) the table money. But a recruited athlete can't get any financial aid as a walk on which is what came up in the Drummond and Akok recruitments

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Before anyone starts praising slick Rick's benevolence (including St John's fans enjoying our hospitality) look up what happened to Rodrick Rhodes when Ricky was coaching Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Before anyone starts praising slick Rick's benevolence (including St John's fans enjoying our hospitality) look up what happened to Rodrick Rhodes when Ricky was coaching Kentucky.
A but different scenario. Nobody gonna redshirt, and I believe Pitino had done that with not just Rhodes but a few others as well.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
What happens in this scenario since the portal is closed? Is the kid effectively banned from college basketball for a year?

I would imagine that since they entered the portal already they're still in there. I don't think they missed any kind of deadline to pick a new school.

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
I recall that academic scholarships count against the scholarship limit. I would think NIL money as a substitute scholarship could be treated similarly to prevent teams going over the limit with NIL in lieu of a scholarship.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Wilcher is insanely overrated. How he's that high on the rankings baffles me, bet he's nothing more than a bench piece for them.

Reaction Score
Wilcher is insanely overrated. How he's that high on the rankings baffles me, bet he's nothing more than a bench piece for them.
Baffles me that Nahiem left UConn for the same role he will play at St Johns. A veteran guard/leader off the bench. I wish him the best tho.

Reaction Score

Hate to say it and I know nothing about the kid, UNC saw something and that says a lot. Good news for this kid is he now just jumped up a long way in the coaching department. If he has ability Slick Rick will get more out of him than Hubert.

Reaction Score
I recall that academic scholarships count against the scholarship limit. I would think NIL money as a substitute scholarship could be treated similarly to prevent teams going over the limit with NIL in lieu of a scholarship.
NIL money legally doesn't come from the school and there's no real NCAA rules surrounding it. It can very well be used to skirt scholarship limits

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
NIL money legally doesn't come from the school and there's no real NCAA rules surrounding it. It can very well be used to skirt scholarship limits
Very possible.

Reaction Score

i feel for alleyne, but st. john's being an NIL factory is pretty spicy for the big east

I apologize to the poster who said Alleyne would play the same role at St. John's as he did at UConn and I said he would start because who else was St. John's going to get that was better. Wilcher may be overrated but Pitino knows he has to play him if he's ever going to attract more highly rated players. We'll see but I was probably wrong.

Reaction Score
So Saint Johns is looking like a lineup of
Dingle, should score a ton and compete for first team all big east
Wilcher highly ranked recruit, some have cooled on him but still should at least be good
Luis could be a bunch of guys, i feel like he fits best here
Taylor score double figures in a power conference
Soriano, talent to be all big east

Then off the bench, they have a top 100 recruit, jenkins, conway, alleyne, Ejiofar and a few other guys

That to me feels like a contender in the big east, if one of those guys off the bench or Wilcher really pops they could win the conference I think. This team is deep and has high end talent

Reaction Score
So Saint Johns is looking like a lineup of
Dingle, should score a ton and compete for first team all big east
Wilcher highly ranked recruit, some have cooled on him but still should at least be good
Luis could be a bunch of guys, i feel like he fits best here
Taylor score double figures in a power conference
Soriano, talent to be all big east

Then off the bench, they have a top 100 recruit, jenkins, conway, alleyne, Ejiofar and a few other guys

That to me feels like a contender in the big east, if one of those guys off the bench or Wilcher really pops they could win the conference I think. This team is deep and has high end talent
shh, Don't tell Nelson.

Reaction Score
Baffles me that Nahiem left UConn for the same role he will play at St Johns. A veteran guard/leader off the bench. I wish him the best tho.
Was he promised big minutes I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc