Big East Transfer Portal Thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Big East Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Burton to Villanova caps off their pretty insane transfer haul. They really hit the NIL ground hard in Neptune's 2nd season.

I like all of Bamba, Burton, Hart, and even Ware is a good swing.
Dunleavey hire helped them with NIL story..

Reaction Score
Burton to Villanova caps off their pretty insane transfer haul. They really hit the NIL ground hard in Neptune's 2nd season.

Nova is going to be really old.

Moore is a 5th year, Burton is a 5th year. Hart is a 5th year. Dixon is a 5th year if you count RS year. Arcidiacano is a 5th year. Bamba is a 4th year. Ware is a 4th year. Longino is a 3rd year. Armstrong is 2nd year.

Reaction Score

It definitely will ease some jitters that their fans had since February when they were already looking ahead to next season. Neptune used the transfer portal to compensate for the lackluster freshmen recruiting class. This is good for Nova and the Big East.

If the good to great teams the Big East can consistently have are UConn, Georgetown, Villanova, and St. John's it will really maximize positive national exposure.

Edit: Apologies to the other BE fanbases, but those 4 teams would do the most in terms of positive national media exposure if they are Sweet 16 caliber teams or better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Moore is a 5th year, Burton is a 5th year. Hart is a 5th year. Dixon is a 5th year if you count RS year. Arcidiacano is a 5th year. Bamba is a 4th year. Ware is a 4th year. Longino is a 3rd year. Armstrong is 2nd year.
They will be really old. Which is why Neptune and his staff have to be better on the high school recruiting trail then they were this year. It's not sustainable to have the transfer portal compensate for lackluster freshmen classes year after year, IMO.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

SDSU and FAU proved that experience is a good way to go for March success.

It dials up the pressure on Neptune. This is a really talented roster. No excuses.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They will be really old. Which is why Neptune and his staff have to be better on the high school recruiting trail then they were this year. It's not sustainable to have the transfer portal compensate for lackluster freshmen classes year after year, IMO.

I think it is sustainable. I think a lot of programs are going to focus more on the portal than on the high school circuit going forward. The success rate off the portal is going to be much higher than it is with 17 year olds.

Reaction Score
SDSU and FAU proved that experience is a good way to go for March success.

It dials up the pressure on Neptune. This is a really talented roster. No excuses.
certainly. Nova cannot miss the NCAAT. If they do Neptune's seat will be more than hot, it will be on fire.

We all know how the high standards Husky fans, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas fans have. Just duplicate that in your mind for Nova because Nova fans have just as high of expectations. They are the only other BE school with championships to celebrate in recent memory so they expect top notch results.

Reaction Score
Unless the NCAA suddenly decides to revoke the immediate eligibility rule it's 100% sustainable. There's always going to be kids looking play for one of the top teams in a top 3 basketball league

Reaction Score
I think it is sustainable. I think a lot of programs are going to focus more on the portal than on the high school circuit going forward. The success rate off the portal is going to be much higher than it is with 17 year olds.
Especially since those 17 year olds get pissed when they aren't starting and they wind up in the transfer portal. Reminds me of NBA teams taking raw talent. When the kid is finally ready to really contribute, he's a free agent. Accept there is no salary cap on giving NIL to a transfer.

Reaction Score
Remains to be seen if it's a possibility going forward. The COVID years allowed extra 5th years who are then free to transfer twice due to graduation, so there's a little extra movement of veteran players. There will probably be a few less transfers two years from now. But there's probably still room to be the "old up-transfers come here" school even without the COVID years, but you gotta win to be "the spot", so agree with everyone that says Neptune has some pressure this season. Especially since the youth cupboard is absolutely bare this season for them and they only have 1 rotation guy from last freshman class left; Once these 5th years are gone, he's more or less forced to replenish with other transfers. And if you bring in these guys and it doesn't work... Then you're pretty much forced to fire Neptune in order to change the recruiting narrative.

Reaction Score
Unless the NCAA suddenly decides to revoke the immediate eligibility rule it's 100% sustainable. There's always going to be kids looking play for one of the top teams in a top 3 basketball league
It's interesting, both you and Nelsonmuntz said the same thing and maybe you are both correct and I am wrong, I don't know. I am just looking at the numbers. The are what, 12 scholarships/roster spots available for a team?

Wouldn't you figure that the majority of them, meaning at least 7 of them would have to be "homegrown" recruiting from the high school ranks? I am not rhetorically asking this, I genuinely would like to know how you and others answer that question and what you think.

Can a school consistently recruit 7 or more transfers for a given season? I would think that would be very difficult. Maybe Nova and some other schools create a model for themselves were they get lackluster freshmen recruiting classes but become masters or specialize in recruiting the transfer portal.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
certainly. Nova cannot miss the NCAAT. If they do Neptune's seat will be more than hot, it will be on fire.

We all know how the high standards Husky fans, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas fans have. Just duplicate that in your mind for Nova because Nova fans have just as high of expectations. They are the only other BE school with championships to celebrate in recent memory so they expect top notch results.

There would be pressure on Minnesota's or Depaul's coach to succeed if they brought in that kind of haul in the offseason. It is going to be off the chart at Villanova. Neptune has to deliver.

Reaction Score
There would be pressure on Minnesota's or Depaul's coach to succeed if they brought in that kind of haul in the offseason. It is going to be off the chart at Villanova. Neptune has to deliver.
For Minnesota and DePaul, sure. But Nova's fanbase is much larger and way more passionate than those fanbases. I guess my point is that, Nova fans have seen and tasted great success which means their tolerance will be at zero for any underachieving play. They were at wits end this past season.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's interesting, both you and Nelsonmuntz said the same thing and maybe you are both correct and I am wrong, I don't know. I am just looking at the numbers. The are what, 12 scholarships/roster spots available for a team?

Wouldn't you figure that the majority of them, meaning at least 7 of them would have to be "homegrown" recruiting from the high school ranks? I am not rhetorically asking this, I genuinely would like to know how you and others answer that question and what you think.

Can a school consistently recruit 7 or more transfers for a given season? I would think that would be very difficult. Maybe Nova and some other schools create a model for themselves were they get lackluster freshmen recruiting classes but become masters or specialize in recruiting the transfer portal.

I don't know the answer to recruiting strategy in the NIL/Transfer Portal era. Think of what Calhoun used to do. Every year or so he would offer some outside of the Top 100 athlete like Donny Marshall. As UConn started putting players in the NBA, other teams jumped on UConn recruits like this. I believe UConn was the first major program offer for Freeman or Boone, but once Calhoun offered, there was a deluge of interest in them. Shabazz was the most dramatic. I think Calhoun was his first major program offer, and he ended up with like 15.

How do you hide players like them in the Transfer Portal era? Everyone is going to jump on your recruits if a program is successful.

Reaction Score

13 scholarships, and I don't think bringing in 7 transfers a year is sustainable. But I don't think you have to, guys like Bamba and Ware they brought in have 2 years of eligibility. They'll still have to go after some freshman, but you can still build a successful culture around transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom