Big East Presidents to meet tonight... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East Presidents to meet tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While ESPN Radio was saying that this is a dinner meeting, Francesca's newsflash updater was saying that it's a conference call.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
My only question is if everyone in the room will be able to hold back their laughter as the WVU officials preach 'that we all must come together and stay committed to each other under all circumstances' (24 hours after having their application rejected by both the ACC and the SEC).

Reaction Score
No president can make a deal like that without consulting the board of Trustees. Nor would anyone expect them to make such a deal. The other option here is for Herbst to beg off, she already has a meeting with the Governor or the Chairman of the Board of Trustees or some such, and send a high ranking Vice President to represent her. That gets you out of having to make any commitment, since no VP wouild have that authority even if the President did. It isn't an insult to anyone...you can't blow off your BOT chair or the Governor of your state, but it also isn't a full fledged committment. Happens all the time in politics...the Congressman can't meet you but he sends his Cheif of staff (you're getting a fair hearing) or his assistant CoS (you still have a chance) or an intern (you might as well save your breadth, you ain't getting his support).

they can receive authorization beforehand, like UT and OU did yesterday

Reaction Score
This meeting is about one thing and one thing only. The football schools need to know what the basketball schools would allow by way of new members so they know if staying in the Big East is a possibility or if they need to leave as a group?

Would the basketball schools allow the addition of the Big XII remnants (assuming Texas and Oklahoma are gone)? If so, that is a possibility. If not, then that alliance would have to be done in the Big XII.

Would the basketball schools allow replacements for Syracuse and Pitt from a list of Temple, UMass, ECU, Memphis and UCF? That's a closer call? I think if UConn is staying, the basketball schools would probably be o.k. with that. They don't worry about their status as a major basketball conference if UConn is still there. If UConn and RU are out, however, it's a closer call -- one that I could see going any way.

This is the purpose of the meeting -- to figure out if the flexibility that the Catholics would allow is sufficient for the football schools to stay, or whether the Big East as a football league is dead.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I would love the option of the merger between the two conferences for football only. The BE football schools can play all other sports against the bb only BE schools and the remaining B12 schools playing all other sports against some Western Conference. The problem would be for them to find a conference willing to agree to this arrangement.

Keep the football conference divided East and West. This will solve a lot of the travel logistics.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This meeting is about one thing and one thing only. The football schools need to know what the basketball schools would allow by way of new members so they know if staying in the Big East is a possibility or if they need to leave as a group?

Would the basketball schools allow the addition of the Big XII remnants (assuming Texas and Oklahoma are gone)? If so, that is a possibility. If not, then that alliance would have to be done in the Big XII.

Would the basketball schools allow replacements for Syracuse and Pitt from a list of Temple, UMass, ECU, Memphis and UCF? That's a closer call? I think if UConn is staying, the basketball schools would probably be o.k. with that. They don't worry about their status as a major basketball conference if UConn is still there. If UConn and RU are out, however, it's a closer call -- one that I could see going any way.

This is the purpose of the meeting -- to figure out if the flexibility that the Catholics would allow is sufficient for the football schools to stay, or whether the Big East as a football league is dead.
The article made it appear to be only the football schools were attending. Who is supposedly representing the interest of the bb schools?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Boeheim's got a big mouth speculating UConn to the ACC. Just raises everyone's expectations even more and I don't think he knows squat about what is going on.
He doesn't have a big mouth. He's entitled to speculate and is making no illusions otherwise. We have the choice to have big or small ears in deciding if we should take his word as more than anything other than speculation.

My belief is he is expressing his hope. He has a great relationship with JC and I'm sure he doesn't want to see the rivalry end.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
The article made it appear to be only the football schools were attending. Who is supposedly representing the interest of the bb schools?

ESPN just confirmed only the FB schools

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ESPN just confirmed only the FB schools

Villanova has asked to attend the conference call and join the Big East for football. Are they kidding? The Big East will get Philly for all sports because it will invite Temple. Not Villanova.

Reaction Score
Reading a bunch of tweets that Villanova has applied to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Per Jeff Jacobs all presidents are also scheduled to meet October 2nd in D.C.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Makes sense. Things will be defined for the BE in a matter of weeks.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

Any thoughts now that it's being reported that its only the football schools meeting tonight?

Reaction Score
Any thoughts now that it's being reported that its only the football schools meeting tonight?

I would assume they are deciding which of those questions to ask the basketball schools (i.e., what would they do if the basketball schools didn't have to clear it) under which scenarios.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
She seems like a no-bulldarn person and probably thinks this is a terrible idea - Presidents sitting around pissing at Cuse and Pitt and putting pressure on RU ND and UConn to stay put. Seems like an ill fated meeting.

You really think that's the purpose of the meeting? You don't think the schools want to talk about -- oh, I don't know -- how they are going to best get out of this mess? You don't think that, at the moment, it isn't our mess too?

Reaction Score
jacobscourant Jeff Jacobs
UConn prez Susan Herbst, sources said, not able to attend BE meeting tonight and chief of staff Rachel Rubin will be there in her place.

POWER MOVE!

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Of course she can't make it. It's Reverse Happy Hour at Ted's tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics