Big East Leads Power 6 in Early 2021 Recruiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Leads Power 6 in Early 2021 Recruiting

Reaction Score
relationship with the head coach, relationship with assistant coaches, playing time, chance of winning a championship, historical prestiege of the program, proximity to home so your friends and family can see you play, illegal payments, etc.
Not that I want to get in the middle of this debate, but it's kind of hard to argue conference affiliation isn't that important when each of UConn's last few recruits all mentioned the Big East as a big selling point. I think every one of them did.

I guess I would ask if UConn were still in the AAC and not the Big East could they even get their foot in the door so that the head coach and assistant coaches could form a great relationship with the recruit? Or sell their prestige, playing time, and a chance to win a championship?

While I wouldn't argue that the things you mentioned aren't important I'm pointing out that conference affiliation may be a lynchpin to those other things.

Reaction Score
Kentucky's recruiting immediately became 10X better as soon as Calipari took over, but sure, none of those players cared who the coach was.
I see both sides of this debate but Pay Pal Cal-lipari is an outlier. Memphis' recruiting faded after he left as well. He's one of the very few coaches who recruits follow, probably due to WW Wes and the bags that he throws around.
No doubt at all that conference affiliation is in the top 3 of most recruits considerations, that and establishing a winning tradition like a Gonzaga, for example.

Reaction Score
Not that I want to get in the middle of this debate, but it's kind of hard to argue conference affiliation isn't that important when each of UConn's last few recruits all mentioned the Big East as a big selling point. I think every one of them did.

I think they all did as well, and I think it’s true that it had a positive impact. I also think it’s telling that when Jordan Hawkins wrote an article in his own words titled “This is why I committed to Connecticut”, conference is brought up exactly 0 times. It’s all about his relationship with the staff, his belief they can get him to the league, and his chance to play with other players on the team.

Every recruit is going to be asked if UConn going back to the BE mattered, because it’s a major narrative in college basketball this year, and they are all going to answer yes, because I’m sure it did matter, just not to the degree people try to pretend it does. Jordan Hawkins could have said anything in his article, and he never brought it up even once.

I guess I would ask if UConn were still in the AAC and not the Big East could they even get their foot in the door so that the head coach and assistant coaches could form a great relationship with the recruit? Or sell their prestige, playing time, and a chance to win a championship?

I think we know how this staff would recruit in the AAC, because we watched them do it. They signed Akok (247 composite rank 31), Bouknight (composite rank 65), and Gaffney (composite rank 105). Not much different from this year’s class, and as long as we won on the court and put guys in the league, I’m not sure why that would change.

Reaction Score
I see both sides of this debate but Pay Pal Cal-lipari is an outlier. Memphis' recruiting faded after he left as well. He's one of the very few coaches who recruits follow, probably due to WW Wes and the bags that he throws around.
No doubt at all that conference affiliation is in the top 3 of most recruits considerations, that and establishing a winning tradition like a Gonzaga, for example.
I was responding to someone specifically saying recruits don’t care who coaches Kentucky. They obviously do. And you’re way underestimating how many other coaches have a huge impact, but I agree Calapari does make the most difference.

Reaction Score
I think they all did as well, and I think it’s true that it had a positive impact. I also think it’s telling that when Jordan Hawkins wrote an article in his own words titled “This is why I committed to Connecticut”, conference is brought up exactly 0 times. It’s all about his relationship with the staff, his belief they can get him to the league, and his chance to play with other players on the team.

Every recruit is going to be asked if UConn going back to the BE mattered, because it’s a major narrative in college basketball this year, and they are all going to answer yes, because I’m sure it did matter, just not to the degree people try to pretend it does. Jordan Hawkins could have said anything in his article, and he never brought it up even once.

I think we know how this staff would recruit in the AAC, because we watched them do it. They signed Akok (247 composite rank 31), Bouknight (composite rank 65), and Gaffney (composite rank 105). Not much different from this year’s class, and as long as we won on the court and put guys in the league, I’m not sure why that would change.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“Coach Hurley, the coaching staff over there is a really good coaching staff. I feel like those guys bring the best out of me. The Big East is a great conference. I feel like the conference is best for me. They got a good recruiting class going there. Me and Rahsool Diggins, we can be one of the top backcourts in the country. We can make some noise.”

Nope, never mentioned the conference. Lol

Reaction Score
I just reread that article and honestly he didn't get into too many specifics on why he chose UConn besides the general points that he loved the coaching staff, they understood his desire to be in college only 1-2 years before going to the NBA and the talent in the program and coming into the program. So things you mentioned as important, but just because he didn't mention the Big East in that one article doesn't mean it wasn't very important to him. He did mention it in other interviews as pointed out above.

I don't think conference affiliation is the most important aspect that goes into most recruits' decisions, but it does seem to be one of the many. And all recruits don't look at the many selling points to a school the same way. But because most or all of the recent commitments mentioned the Big East, it has to be at the very least one of the aspects they used in their decision or else they wouldn't have mentioned it at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“Coach Hurley, the coaching staff over there is a really good coaching staff. I feel like those guys bring the best out of me. The Big East is a great conference. I feel like the conference is best for me. They got a good recruiting class going there. Me and Rahsool Diggins, we can be one of the top backcourts in the country. We can make some noise.”

Nope, never mentioned the conference. Lol
Well that’s a different article. The one I linked was written by Jordan himself, not Zags. And I already agreed that conference made a difference. And even this article mentions Hurley and the staff first.

Good one though.

Reaction Score

I have a feeling UConn's numbers are included in the AAC and not Big East #s based on the conference size there.

Have to at least subtract UConn's numbers from AAC if just wanting to judge independently of us, or add us to Big East if you want to compare new situation to old.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's currently not a problem (and don't really expect it to be a big one going forward) but do we know if Hurley will be able to recruit nationally? So far it seems like we are doing great in the Mid-Atlantic area (MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, etc.). But will we be able to pull guys from FL, TX, CA, etc. in the future?

Reaction Score
Zagsblog quote from Hawkins:

“The Big East played a big part because the Big East is a great conference,” he said. “It’s a perfect conference for me and my playing style. Playing against top competition like Villanova, Marquette, Seton Hall, it’s definitely big.”

Reaction Score
Well that’s a different article. The one I linked was written by Jordan himself, not Zags. And I already agreed that conference made a difference. And even this article mentions Hurley and the staff first.

Good one though.
Dude, come on. Now you're just being ridiculous to stick to your point that he didn't mention it in that one article. So Zagoria made up the quote? If you want to die on that hill then go right ahead. You might be dead after reading these quotes. Lol

You're going to make me do this, aren't you? (sigh) Yes he mentions coaches prominently in each article but I never said that wasn't a major aspect in the decision making. I just said that most of UConn's recruits mention the Big East in their decision so it must be a major reason in their decisions. You said it's way down the list.

247Sports article:
Another big factor in Hawkins decision was Connecticut’s recent inclusion in the Big East. After several years away, the Huskies are now back in their familiar league, and that played a big role in what Hawkins ultimately decided.

“Playing in the Big East was big for me,” said Hawkins. “I feel it is the perfect conference for me and my playing style. I am going to go against the top teams and the top players in the country every single game.”

Courant article:
“Coach Hurley, coach Hunter were the best coaches for me,” Hawkins told the Courant after making his decision. “UConn was the best place, style wise, the Big East Conference is a great conference. Connecticut is a great place, a great state. I can’t wait to play in front of the fans.”

Reaction Score
I have a feeling UConn's numbers are included in the AAC and not Big East #s based on the conference size there.

Have to at least subtract UConn's numbers from AAC if just wanting to judge independently of us, or add us to Big East if you want to compare new situation to old.
They are (included in AAC). This is from beginning of 2019-20 NBA season so also doesn't account for roster turnover over the course of the season.

I think this argument is stupid I'm merely throwing some numbers into the mix and then sitting back with my popcorn

Reaction Score
Dude, come on. Now you're just being ridiculous to stick to your point that he didn't mention it in that one article. So Zagoria made up the quote? If you want to die on that hill then go right ahead. You might be dead after reading these quotes. Lol

You're going to make me do this, aren't you? (sigh) Yes he mentions coaches prominently in each article but I never said that wasn't a major aspect in the decision making. I just said that most of UConn's recruits mention the Big East in their decision so it must be a major reason in their decisions. You said it's way down the list.

247Sports article:
Another big factor in Hawkins decision was Connecticut’s recent inclusion in the Big East. After several years away, the Huskies are now back in their familiar league, and that played a big role in what Hawkins ultimately decided.

“Playing in the Big East was big for me,” said Hawkins. “I feel it is the perfect conference for me and my playing style. I am going to go against the top teams and the top players in the country every single game.”

Courant article:
“Coach Hurley, coach Hunter were the best coaches for me,” Hawkins told the Courant after making his decision. “UConn was the best place, style wise, the Big East Conference is a great conference. Connecticut is a great place, a great state. I can’t wait to play in front of the fans.”

You keep saying "that one article", as if there is not a massive difference between an article HE WROTE HIMSELF to talk about why he committed, vs. all the other articles that have quotes based upon questions he was asked by reporters.

Of course I don't think Zags made up the quote, I think he asked Jordan what role the Big East played in his decision, or how big a factor the Big East was, or what do you think of the Big East, and he gave those quotes, like literally everyone would, because they are true and because there is zero value in saying anything else.

I'm sure the Big East was a big factor, just not as big a factor as the things he brought up in the article he wrote, which is the point.

Reaction Score
You keep saying "that one article", as if there is not a massive difference between an article HE WROTE HIMSELF to talk about why he committed, vs. all the other articles that have quotes based upon questions he was asked by reporters.

Of course I don't think Zags made up the quote, I think he asked Jordan what role the Big East played in his decision, or how big a factor the Big East was, or what do you think of the Big East, and he gave those quotes, like literally everyone would, because they are true and because there is zero value in saying anything else.

I'm sure the Big East was a big factor, just not as big a factor as the things he brought up in the article he wrote, which is the point.
Actually you're the one who keeps bringing up the ONE ARTICLE HE WROTE HIMSELF as the sole evidence that the Big East was not a factor in his decision. So exactly what did he bring up in that article as the biggest factors in his decision? You haven't said. I've pointed out that declaration is more important than omission as evidence.

Are you a lawyer? Most of the lawyers I know who when they're wrong but think they're right, on even the littlest things, will not give up in their position despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

I can't believe I jumped in on this thread by saying, "Not that I want to get in the middle of this debate....." Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coaches constantly recruit on the strengths of their conference and also negative recruit against other programs because of the "weaknesses" of their competition's conference. Conference affiliation also has an impact on how easy it will be for your friends and family to see you play live which is a huge factor for many recruits. Conference affiliation even will impact your TV exposure and even how your games are marketed by whichever network, which is another factor for high level recruits. No way it's that low a priority for the majority of recruits.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually you're the one who keeps bringing up the ONE ARTICLE HE WROTE HIMSELF as the sole evidence that the Big East was not a factor in his decision. So exactly what did he bring up in that article as the biggest factors in his decision? You haven't said. I've pointed out that declaration is more important than omission as evidence.

Are you a lawyer? Most of the lawyers I know who when they're wrong but think they're right, on even the littlest things, will not give up in their position despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
You know I've said multiple times that the Big East was a factor in his decision right? I mean you have to be able to grasp that mulitple times in this thread I've stated it was a postive factor, just not one of the most important ones.

You already brought up all the factors he mentioned in his article. I really need to repeat them even though you already stated them in this thread? I guess I can, but you already said them, so.....maybe just look at that post. It was the one where you were pretending his article was "vague".

No I'm not a lawyer. And no, there is not overwhelming evidence that conference is incredibly important. Daniel Hamilton, Jalen Adams, Alternique Gilbert, Akok Akok, James Bouknight, etc. wouldn't have signed with us if it was.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Daniel Hamilton, Jalen Adams, Alternique Gilbert, Akok Akok, James Bouknight, etc. wouldn't have signed with us if it was.

I love all of those guys, but think of the players we missed out on because of the conference.

You’re taking shots right now and it’s not tequila. There’s no shame in conceding.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You know I've said multiple times that the Big East was a factor in his decision right? I mean you have to be able to grasp that mulitple times in this thread I've stated it was a postive factor, just not one of the most important ones.

You already brought up all the factors he mentioned in his article. I really need to repeat them even though you already stated them in this thread? I guess I can, but you already said them, so.....maybe just look at that post. It was the one where you were pretending his article was "vague".

No I'm not a lawyer. And no, there is not overwhelming evidence that conference is incredibly important. Daniel Hamilton, Jalen Adams, Alternique Gilbert, Akok Akok, James Bouknight, etc. wouldn't have signed with us if it was.
It's impossible to argue on the internet when you're not being logical or responding to evidence. Think whatever you want. I can't argue with a crazy person.

Reaction Score
It's impossible to argue on the internet when you're not being logical or responding to evidence. Think whatever you want. I can't argue with a crazy person.
I'm the only one being logical. You're wondering if we could have gotten our foot in the door with this year's recruits if we were in the AAC, even though Hurley signed the exact same level of recruits when we were in the AAC.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm the only one being logical. You're wondering if we could have gotten our foot in the door with this year's recruits if we were in the AAC, even though Hurley signed the exact same level of recruits when we were in the AAC.
You’re using a good recruiting class as the baseline, saying it would be the norm. But you’re failing to consider the players we didn’t get. Also, who’s to say this years class all comes here if we’re in the American? Hurley can recruit, yes, but it’s unrealistic to assume that our recruiting would have been just as good, if not better, in the AAC vs the BE, long-run and overall. And are you really the only one being logical?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why I'm doing this but here goes. I started out politely but then you wouldn't acknowledge a quote from Hawkins because it's not what you believe.

You posted that Jordan Hawkins didn't commit to UConn using the Big East as one of the reasons because in that article he wrote he didn't mention the Big East. So in your mind that clearly means he didn't care about the Big East.

I posted an article where he clearly said the Big East was "big" for him. But you're so entrenched in your view that you refuse to acknowledge what Hawkins did say and instead cling to what he didn't say.

You're sticking to your guns no matter what anyone says, or what evidence anyone presents, so it's not worth arguing with you.

Reaction Score
Zagsblog quote from Hawkins:

“The Big East played a big part because the Big East is a great conference,” he said. “It’s a perfect conference for me and my playing style. Playing against top competition like Villanova, Marquette, Seton Hall, it’s definitely big.”
Zagoria made Hawkins say that with how he framed the question. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom