Big East expansion odds | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big East expansion odds

Reaction Score
Absolutely not. Dumbest idea ever
Trust me, I wouldn’t want that. Absolutely love the BE. Which is why I don’t want it bastardized by teams outside of the East. However, I find it ironic you don’t think it would be a dumb idea to still call it the BE and have teams from all over the country in the conference.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Don’t add anyone of lesser value. Or west coast teams, they would prefer the MWC anyways.

Reaction Score
Trust me, I wouldn’t want that. Absolutely love the BE. Which is why I don’t want it bastardized by teams outside of the East. However, I find it ironic you don’t think it would be a dumb idea to still call it the BE and have teams from all over the country in the conference.
Dude the big 10 has 18 teams
The big 12 has 16
And the Atlantic Coast Conference has 3 team thousands of miles away from the Atlantic

Reaction Score
Dude the big 10 has 18 teams
The big 12 has 16
And the Atlantic Coast Conference has 3 team thousands of miles away from the Atlantic
I'm aware. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em I guess.

Thumbs Ok GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
I doubt Fox is looking for more middling Big East games to air. They already of plenty of crappy B1G and Big XII games they are paying a hefty price for.
Plus they have to carry Georgetown DePaul twice and DePaul-anybody 16 more.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Damn, you're fast... beat me to the edit. Anyway, B12 and B10 don't have a geographic region in their name. If you're going to bring in schools from all over the place, change the name.
Like the ACC becoming the BCC (Bi-Coastal Conf).

Reaction Score
I don’t want to expand. Double round robin rocks.

But if we had to, Gonzaga, VCU, and Dayton make the most sense to me despite their significant shortcomings. If all were to provide the same monetary value (unlikely) my preferred order would be VCU > Zags > Dayton

Reaction Score
Absolutely not. Dumbest idea ever
Right. If this league wasn’t considered the successor to or called the Big East, would we have ever joined it after the AAC? I doubt it. Joining a league made up of a portion of the non football playing section of the old Big East that doesn’t have the cache, marketing opportunities, return to our glory days, would not have moved the needle enough to deal with such a small shared revenue. I’m not saying it would have been bad for us but it certainly wouldn’t have generated the same level of excitement.

Reaction Score
The Big East is wayyyy more likely to try to recobble the FB/BB model should the ACC implode than and anyone short of Notre Dame to a BB only league. There is simply no school even in the leagues expanded footprint that would add any value and I include a soon to be Mark Few-less Gonzaga.

BC/Cuse/Pitt/ Wake have zero value to the B1G, SEC or B12 and not much more to a ACC leftover conference (which would make UConn it's first call).

In a world where the B1G grabs UNC (with Duke), UVA (with VT), GATech; the SEC grabs Clemson/FSU while UL, NCST, Miami beg into the B12 or some combo thereof, ND rejoins the BE as a FB independent and a decision will have to be made especially if more that those 4 are leftover.

Does UConn bolt for a FB league with BC/Cuse/Pitt/Wake/Duke/UL/NCST or something like it? As of right now, I think the answer is a hard no. Better for UConn to split the FB schedule between those schools, the AAC, MAC, and FCS as a independent? The ACC defections would need to be limited to only the top FB schools to bring the total under 12. Every one of those schools would jump to join the BE assuming FB isn't going to be a factor.

A breakout FB division or a regional realignment of non-FB sports would facilitate such a move.
UConn would absolutely leave the Big East for an all sports league involving BC, Cuse, Pitt, Louisville... all former conference-mates where there was some semblance of rivalry with, plus Duke a blue-blood and filler. It's not much different than the current Big East or the Big East that existed or UConn expected to exist when it went to 1A.

The Big East schools might consider inviting the ACC remnants and reconstituting the hybrid model they loathed enough to leave... but it's more likely if there is going to be a hybrid conference that the rump-ACC picks and chooses which schools (if anything) from the Big East they want and leave the DePaul, Butler, etc crew behind. It's more likely that the rump-ACC chooses no basketball onlies and backfills from whatever's left out there with marginal value.... and UConn would still leave in that scenario.

From a hoops appeal scenario just swapping teams out:

BC replaces PC (local rival who hates UConn because of being passed by)
Cuse replaces St. John's (NY state rival)
Pitt replaces Villanova (Long-term opponent whose success at the same time as UConn made them a rival)
Louisville replaces Marquette (2004 add who had some success)
Duke replaces Creighton (Team that's been good, with whom UConn never shared a conference)

In fact, you could argue that the rump ACC has more attractive rivals/rivalries. They certainly have bigger brands meaning better content for TV/streaming services.

Reaction Score
Damn, you're fast... beat me to the edit. Anyway, B12 and B10 don't have a geographic region in their name. If you're going to bring in schools from all over the place, change the name.
How about the NEWBIE or NOOB?

Reaction Score
No Gonzaga b/c of geography (and will be irrelevant once Few leaves) and no A-10 teams as that's pure dilution. If they weren't an OBE member or currently sitting in a P5 conference, hard pass.

The BE NEEDS to do something, but diluting or ignoring geography ain't it.

Dream scenario: ACC collapse, we can add Cuse/Pitt at minimum, probably give BC a life line (I want them BEGGING though). Some of the other scraps, maybe some of the better Carolina schools (Duke, NCST) are left. If we have to dip in the AAC, no problem with Memphis.

The problem I see is the non-football schools not wanting to go down the road and add more football schools again.
They enjoy being able to compete again. By the time the Big East exploded, only Villanova was really competitive with UConn, Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame and Cincinnati. If those schools came back, maybe replacing Cincy with NC State, St Johns, Providence, Seton Hall, et Al return to the position of holding up the league.

Reaction Score
You forgot Vandy and Northwestern ;)

I'd add Dayton and VCU now. If St Louis decides to be more regularly competitive, down the line. Gotta stay aggressive to prosper and quality games, product size, adds contract leverage. Staying small for the sake of history is a losing proposition in the long run.
Yeah the only two schools listed in the OPs wish list were VCU and Dayton.

I think Gonzaga is a great program but it would make no sense for either party. What would Gonzaga have to gain? The leagues shares revenue difference (whatever it is) won’t have a significant impact. They would lose a rival, their standing in the league, and any potential trip for their fans to travel to a road game would probably require giving up vacation days. They aren’t having any trouble recruiting, getting national recognition or success by any measure where they are now.

Reaction Score
Though it wouldn’t be my first choice, a gutted ACC starts to look more appealing if we bring some of the Big East with us. Assuming BC, Cuse, Duke, Wake, SMU are left behind. Add Memphis, USF, and us for all sports. Army and Navy for football. And then most importantly Nova, St John’s, Georgetown, and possibly even PC for non-football. Maybe that’s enough for Notre Dame to stick around for non-football

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Though it wouldn’t be my first choice, a gutted ACC starts to look more appealing if we bring some of the Big East with us. Assuming BC, Cuse, Duke, Wake, SMU are left behind. Add Memphis, USF, and us for all sports. Army and Navy for football. And then most importantly Nova, St John’s, Georgetown, and possibly even PC for non-football. Maybe that’s enough for Notre Dame to stick around for non-football
To hell with ND
They are poison to whatever conference they are affiliated
They act like they are the chosen one but their athletic program isn't as powerful as they see it.
No thanks to the egotistical Notre Dame.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom