Big East expansion odds | The Boneyard

Big East expansion odds

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I believe the Big East is the major basketball conference most likely to expand in the next 24 months due to three factors: needing more inventory for TV, keeping up with the Joneses (other four leagues all have at least 16 members), and avoiding again the disaster that was three bids this season.

I don't think the Big East will go past 14, but I think the two likely expansion points are to 12 and 14.

Who are your favorites (1-5) if the league expands to 12? Mine:
1. Gonzaga
2. Dayton
3. St. Louis
4. VCU
5. Davidson

Who are your favorites (1-5) if the league expands to 14? Mine:
1. Gonzaga
2. St. Mary's
3. Dayton
4. St. Louis
5. VCU

shizzle787

Reaction Score
do you get a commission every time you post about Gonzaga?
No, but it is inevitable the league will need to expand. Gonzaga should be first choice. They are a top-10 brand.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
png.jpg

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Don’t want west coast teams. It makes no sense.
If the league is forced to expand by virtue of the shifting landscape of the sport and TV, Gonzaga has to be the #1 choice. The travel issue is a bigger deal for them than the other 11 BE teams.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if the BE were actually only teams in the East. I understand everything else that goes into it, and ultimately my vote is whatever's best for our program. BUT, it's already bad enough calling it the BE and having teams in Wisconsin, Nebraska and Illinois.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
It would be nice if the BE were actually only teams in the East.
Sure. But keep in mind: Creighton is in Nebraska. Four other BE schools are in the Midwest. The Big 12 has schools in Ohio and Florida. The Big Ten has schools on the west coast. This is the way this thing is going. You have to be proactive in conference realignment. If you are not, you get left behind.

Reaction Score
No, but it is inevitable the league will need to expand. Gonzaga should be first choice. They are a top-10 brand.
they're another mid-major basketball-only. No thanks.

Reaction Score
Sure. But keep in mind: Creighton is in Nebraska. Four other BE schools are in the Midwest. The Big 12 has schools in Ohio and Florida. The Big Ten has schools on the west coast. This is the way this thing is going. You have to be proactive in conference realignment. If you are not, you get left behind.
Damn, you're fast... beat me to the edit. Anyway, B12 and B10 don't have a geographic region in their name. If you're going to bring in schools from all over the place, change the name.

Reaction Score
they're another mid-major basketball-only. No thanks.
They're the upper echelon of that though. With all the blue blood talk, Gonzaga are kings in the sport. Where as we are its Emperor. Gonzaga would be a huge pull if we could make it happen.

Reaction Score
No to every A10 school. Maybe Dayton has a chance? But definitely not any other school.

Gonzaga is the only school that would really add any sort of value. And if you’re adding Gonzaga and are trying to add more schools, then I would think the conference would look west rather than east to get some geographical fits for Gonzaga. San Francisco? St Mary’s? Idk much about their underlying factors like facilities, academics, etc. but they seem to be consistently good at basketball at least.

Reaction Score
Damn, you're fast... beat me to the edit. Anyway, B12 and B10 don't have a geographic region in their name. If you're going to bring in schools from all over the place, change the name.
The reason the Big East succeeded where as the AAC failed though is the power of names. Its why McDonald's will always be more successful than Wendy's despite having an inferior burger.

Reaction Score
Not a single one of them, excepting Gonzaga, adds anything to the value of the TV deal besides inventory that is at best network filler. They would be dilutive to the TV deal for the existing teams and potentially lessen the number of actually valuable games to networks (with the loss of the home/home).

The Big East had a bad season because they didn't game the NET enough on a year where the committee valued NET gamesmanship above all else; this coupled with a year where there were a lot more "bid thieves" than usual.

Reaction Score
No Gonzaga b/c of geography (and will be irrelevant once Few leaves) and no A-10 teams as that's pure dilution. If they weren't an OBE member or currently sitting in a P5 conference, hard pass.

The BE NEEDS to do something, but diluting or ignoring geography ain't it.

Dream scenario: ACC collapse, we can add Cuse/Pitt at minimum, probably give BC a life line (I want them BEGGING though). Some of the other scraps, maybe some of the better Carolina schools (Duke, NCST) are left. If we have to dip in the AAC, no problem with Memphis.

The problem I see is the non-football schools not wanting to go down the road and add more football schools again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The reason the Big East succeeded where as the AAC failed though is the power of names. Its why McDonald's will always be more successful than Wendy's despite having an inferior burger.
Respectfully, I find it hard to believe that the conference wouldn't succeed if you changed the name from the BE to something else - because it no longer made since due to the teams in the conference - but still had UConn, Marquette, Creighton, Gonzaga (hypothetically), 'Nova, etc.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga has a conference deal where only the first NCAA unit it shared because they have an open invite to the MW .
I wish we had the same deal
They’ve earned a bunch of credits through the years .
and are the highest compensated team from tournament money by a bunch .
We would be close to $3 million next year just from the last two years . A 5 or 6 year run could be huge .
Unfortunately we share evenly with Depail
Why would they come for an equal deal unless the next media contract was a killer .or the Big East adopts the same rules for everyone

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom