Big East Cancels Non-Conference Fall Schedule | The Boneyard

Big East Cancels Non-Conference Fall Schedule

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Does anyone really believe that we will even have a season? I don't.

While I could definitely see the canceling of all regular season games with the unavoidable dangers of travel and off campus interactions, I think it might be possible to run conference tournaments (on a single site under bubble conditions) and then a single site NCAA Tournament under bubble conditions (maybe 32 teams?) (like the recently successfully completed 24 team TBT tournament). I would hate to devise a system to even resemble fairness (only the biggest conferences with enough resources?) but who knows?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Still a ways away, but the rate things are going it looks unlikely unless a vaccine is on the horizon for widespread production by end of year. NBA/WNBA are making it work since their leagues are quite small....college sports is an entirely different story, especially when you factor in the academic piece of it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If they figured out a way to re-open Disney theme parks can't they figure out a way to play sports..lol o foreign business
It might be stupid to open Disney for a bunch of reasons. Time will tell. They also won’t be getting much in the way of visitors who are too far away to drive there and pretty much no foreign visitors. And when my kids were about middle school age we went there this time of year and it was brutally hot..

Reaction Score
For clarification, this cancellation only applies to fall sports. "Winter sports, including basketball, as well as spring sports are unaffected as of now. "

Reaction Score
The conferences would be smart to all get on the same page by agreeing that basketball and football will run from February through May. Plan on a normal OOC schedule, which can be dialed back if need be. This would buy some time, let the athlete's concentrate on acedemics during the fall semester and maximize the chances of having a safe and full 20-21 season.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Still a ways away, but the rate things are going it looks unlikely unless a vaccine is on the horizon for widespread production by end of year. NBA/WNBA are making it work since their leagues are quite small....college sports is an entirely different story, especially when you factor in the academic piece of it.
NBA / WNBA can make it work by having the bubble. I suppose other pro sports can actually make it work with smart decisions as to what sort of contacts players and other involved employees are allowed to have, although I remain a bit skeptical about the NFL. Lots of testing for sure.

OTH, college athletes are students. I'm not arguing the merits or truth of that statement on a deep level, I'm simply saying that these unpaid athletes have to go to school. And be on a campus with a bunch of non-athletes. And there are limits to the restrictions you can place, bearing in mind that "preferential treatment" won't work. That to me is the crux of the problem. And without an audience (or a very limited one) - I'm not running out and buying "this year's" apparel when I'm not going to games. Just saying the financial model is increasingly difficult, I think, as well.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but Covid 19 is here for a significant period of time....the season should and probably will be cancelled. Is the health of the kids and personnel worth it?.....I don't think so.
Who could possibly know where college kids go....and possibly bring virus home to family. $ is the only reason the conferences are maneuvering. I would not allow my daughter to play. Give the kids the option to play the additional year. Grad school should be attractive to many. Yes, we will lose some to the pros, but gambling with people's lives is a no-no. I am a big husky fan and want to see the girls together, so I guess I am just a concerned senior.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I came to that conclusion last week. Too many athletes across the board in other sports still testing positive in mid-July. :( I'd really hate to see this season go down the tubes. Conference only games would be better than no games at all.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While I could definitely see the canceling of all regular season games with the unavoidable dangers of travel and off campus interactions, I think it might be possible to run conference tournaments (on a single site under bubble conditions) and then a single site NCAA Tournament under bubble conditions (maybe 32 teams?) (like the recently successfully completed 24 team TBT tournament). I would hate to devise a system to even resemble fairness (only the biggest conferences with enough resources?) but who knows?
How many conferences have a team that could realistically win a national Championship? Probably 6.5. For those conferences that don't have a legit shot what would be the purpose of having no regular season and then a conference tournament. I'm probably being too pessimistic here, not only do I not think there will be no basketball season I also believe that most colleges campuses will be mostly empty this fall and winter. The SEC football money and NCAA men's basketball tournament money are the only things causing people to stall right now. Philadelphia announced no fans at Eagles or Phillies games until Feb 2021. The Sixers are trying to resume the season in a bubble. These are professional athletes with billionaire owners than can make millions from just the broadcast rights. Contrast that with the typical NCAA Division 1 WCBB team where you are lucky to get 100 fans that are not parents. What parent in their right mind is going to take that risk?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How many conferences have a team that could realistically win a national Championship? Probably 6.5. For those conferences that don't have a legit shot what would be the purpose of having no regular season and then a conference tournament. I'm probably being too pessimistic here, not only do I not think there will be no basketball season I also believe that most colleges campuses will be mostly empty this fall and winter. The SEC football money and NCAA men's basketball tournament money are the only things causing people to stall right now. Philadelphia announced no fans at Eagles or Phillies games until Feb 2021. The Sixers are trying to resume the season in a bubble. These are professional athletes with billionaire owners than can make millions from just the broadcast rights. Contrast that with the typical NCAA Division 1 WCBB team where you are lucky to get 100 fans that are not parents. What parent in their right mind is going to take that risk?
No drunken fans at the Linc!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While there is no Big East football per se, UConn football is in its own precarious situation. The Big 10’s decision cost the team games with IL & IN. Today Gov Lamont indicated his reluctance to have the team travel to hotspots. UConn has away games vs UVA, San Jose St, MS & UNC. Lamont pointed out that CT currently requires a 14 day quarantine for anyone traveling from several of those states, and he would be unlikely to grant a waiver for the football team if it were to travel to say CA, and subsequently return to CT.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I believe there will be a BB season. Schools are losing to much money from room and board and they have contracts with TV radio etc which pay alot of money to the schools. The schools need the money because they are loosing it by not having students on campus. Doctors, stores, food, drinks, room and board and classes. They need media money. I am confident they will open sports and figure out a way to bring kids back from Sept - Thanksgiving and then something similar after January. I have ideas on how to make it work.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
The Covid numbers are far worse in Florida when Disneyworld opened than when it closed. I'm still scratching my head over that.

I agree with you completely that the re-opening was premature and will eventually have an effect on covid numbers.
However, the reopening dates for the first 2 parks was July 11 and the next 2 July 15. That's simply too short a a time period for a cause and effect increase in covid statistics. The current rise in Florida's covid cases and deaths are the result of backing off the safety measures (masks, social distancing large group gatherings), that we are still using. In 2 -3 weeks it will be worse with the parks re-opening.
Isn't that sad?

Reaction Score
I agree with you completely that the re-opening was premature and will eventually have an effect on covid numbers.
However, the reopening dates for the first 2 parks was July 11 and the next 2 July 15. That's simply too short a a time period for a cause and effect increase in covid statistics. The current rise in Florida's covid cases and deaths are the result of backing off the safety measures (masks, social distancing large group gatherings), that we are still using. In 2 -3 weeks it will be worse with the parks re-opening.
Isn't that sad?
Nothing makes sense in Florida which as you probably know is the closest foreign country to the U.S.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
How many conferences have a team that could realistically win a national Championship? Probably 6.5.
ok, I will bite, after the P5 and UConn in the Big East, who the heck else is there to even remotely consider a national contender?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom