Big East - Big 12 Challenge Going Away After This Upcoming Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East - Big 12 Challenge Going Away After This Upcoming Season

Reaction Score
We BETTER get a huge home game this year out of this thing..
If it’s not Houston, they’re colossal idiots. FF-level TV ratings for ESPN or FS1, whoever gets it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think it was a mutual decision: the Big 12 expanded and is going to 20 conference games and apparently the Big East coaches wanted to end it as well.

I think it's time to add Gonzaga and go to a 22-game schedule. We lost the two challenges so adding Gonzaga would replace them.
The only way adding Gonzaga would work would be if we could somehow add a western wing and end up with two divisions so they wouldn't have to play six conference road games on the east coast, one in Cincinnati, one in Indianapolis, one in Milwaukee, one in Chicago and one in Omaha every year.

Reaction Score
Continuing to push non power football conferences to the side. As much as the Big East has been great for UConn. This is why our survival requires us to leave and beg for a spot in one of the big 4. However, it's always looked bleak.
I think the ACC would take us for the men’s and women’s basketball programs alone. Scheduling two regular season games each with BC, Pitt and Cuse would do wonders for those schools. Football comes along for the ride too, not to mention baseball, soccer, and softball and lacrosse.

Reaction Score
If we continue our success and remain as a top 5 program in the country every year going forward with Hurley, then I refuse to believe that we won't get picked up by at least the Big 12 or the ACC, regardless of how football performs in the coming years.
And that's the rub right there. UConn basketball, men and women, are so elite, the football simply has to show some entertainment and winning adequacy where the stands can fill up 85% or more (35K or more) and one of the bigger conferences will want UConn. What I am trying to say is the basketball is so good that it actually lowers the burden for football to win at a level that it would have to if UConn basketball was merely excellent. Get between 6-7 wins a year with some entertaining and modern passing offense would be enough. Needless to say, I need UConn football to show me something like the state of Missouri would say.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
yormark to the pcl:
See Ya GIF

Reaction Score
lol. No we don’t.
How is it possible to be this short sighted? How do big east teams keep up with teams from the SEC and BIG 10 or BIG 12 when they get pennies in tv revenue compared to the Big East teams? Hurley has always talked about needing resources to do his job well. We get a hell of a lot more resources in a power conference.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
How is it possible to be this short sighted? How do big east teams keep up with teams from the SEC and BIG 10 or BIG 12 when they get pennies in tv revenue compared to the Big East teams? Hurley has always talked about needing resources to do his job well. We get a hell of a lot more resources in a power conference.
This is a misnomer. Check out basketball operating budgets for the top schools. All 11 Big East schools (yep, including DePaul) are in the top-86 of basketball budgets. The big football schools have to spend most of their money on football. They do budget well for basketball, but football is where most of the money goes.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I know this is a disappointing result but conference challenges are going away period. This is not a targeted hit on the Big East. The Big 12 and Big Ten also no longer play in any challenges. The only challenge left among major conferences is the ACC-SEC challenge, and I could see that going away if the SEC goes to 20 conference games.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC would take us for the men’s and women’s basketball programs alone. Scheduling two regular season games each with BC, Pitt and Cuse would do wonders for those schools. Football comes along for the ride too, not to mention baseball, soccer, and softball and lacrosse.
They didn't last year after a title, you think they'll change their mind a 5th time?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We will find a way.

I've been hearing this nonsense for 13 years now. In those 13 years we have added 4 more titles to our trophy case. We are right where we need to be.

August_West

Reaction Score
I know this is a disappointing result but conference challenges are going away period. This is not a targeted hit on the Big East. The Big 12 and Big Ten also no longer play in any challenges. The only challenge left among major conferences is the ACC-SEC challenge, and I could see that going away if the SEC goes to 20 conference games.
ESPN is keeping that one afloat. For now. But it's coming. You're right.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
ESPN is keeping that one afloat. For now. But it's coming. You're right.
Not to mention the Big Ten is possibly going to 22 games. They have absolutely no room for a conference challenge.

August_West

Reaction Score
I want Kansas.
It's possible but doubtful they throw that up there 2 years in a row.

Id be OK with Baylor and Houston would be great. Iowa State could be really cool. We just can't get saddled with bottom feeders like Cincinnati or UCF.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
It's possible but doubtful they throw that up there 2 years in a row.

Id be OK with Baylor and Houston would be great. Iowa State could be really cool. We just can't get saddled with bottom feeders like Cincinnati or UCF.
If we don't get Kansas, I want Arizona. I would take Houston, but I want Arizona.

August_West

Reaction Score
If we don't get Kansas, I want Arizona. I would take Houston, but I want Arizona.

I could see the Big12 trying to "protect" a few of their projected top teams and leave them off the dais for road games, in favor of them staying at home and bludgeoning a q4 team, and try to get some of the middle teams a chance to steal a road win and boost the conference.

Reaction Score
I would like to see a totally new conference form. UConn plus former Big East peers and some ACC leftovers. UConn bans BC from joining.

Reaction Score
I would like to see a totally new conference form. UConn plus former Big East peers and some ACC leftovers. UConn bans BC from joining.
Let Bc in and humiliate them

Reaction Score
Impossible for UConn, there to be something in it for football as well as basketball. The possible landing spots are the ACC or the Big 12. A slight chance for the B1G, but I’d be wary of any rumors. Another possibility would be a new conference formed from the PAC 12 and Mountain West teams. Football has to be included in any new conference, banning BC would be a big mistake.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Why are we worrying about this stuff again? Seems like some people are always looking for some mystical boogeyman to worry about.

The cancelation of this event which we participated in one time means absolutely nothing.

We will continue to get invites to every major in season tournament. We will continue to get margee matchups in MSG. We're going to start getting our very best made for TV home and home matchups

Our coach, who soooooo many people argued we couldn't afford to keep is staying

C'mon people, ENJOY THE RIDE

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom