Big Bubble Night Discussion | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Big Bubble Night Discussion

Reaction Score
Anybody watching the Duke GT game? Neither of these teams passing any eye test tonight. Sloppy, weak defense. ACC assuming the winner of this hot mess makes the tourney?

Reaction Score
Great point. The Selection Committee only cares about numbers, the fact that UConn only has 1 win over a Tournament team won't hurt our seedings at all.

BTW, if UConn loses to Seton Hall, you will have been proven catastrophically wrong about UConn's NCAA strategy. I can't remember the last time a poster's credibility was as all in on one game as yours is.
You still think the Big East is only getting 2 teams in, lol.

Reaction Score
You still think the Big East is only getting 2 teams in, lol.
And that's besides the fact that the argument has been we needed to go 3-1 with the loss being to Seton Hall to feel good with our chances. So it would prove nothing

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And that's besides the fact that the argument has been we needed to go 3-1 with the loss being to Seton Hall to feel good with our chances. So it would prove nothing

Calhoun used to play tough schedules. Why do you think Calhoun is an idiot?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You keep accusing me of calling coaches idiots when I haven't. Jim Calhoun wasn't coaching UConn basketball in the 2020-21 basketball season in the middle of Covid so I don't care how he scheduled basketball games

You and most of this board are beyond wrong on this. UConn has now found itself in the position of desperately needing a win over Seton Hall or we could be in danger of not going to the dance, and a win only gets us a crappy seed. This despite having a team that has Sweet 16 talent.

SJ's argument is that the Big East is going to get at least 3 bids no matter what. He may be right, but now the Big East is a 3 bid league when it hits the recruiting trail. Didn't UConn just leave a 3 bid league? Each season is not an island. They impact the seasons that come afterward. There is no upside and all downside for how UConn has managed its schedule this season, and rather than just acknowledge it, most of you are defending it as if it was brilliant.

None of you can put together a remotely coherent rationale for why barely making the Tournament is a great accomplishment for this team.

Reaction Score
Worrying about UConn's NCAA chances has become a personality trait of mine at this point despite our solid metrics. Only tournament team we've beaten is USC, 0-4 vs the 3 teams in the Big East that have a winning record in conference play besides us, and 75% of our total wins are against teams that are sub .500 on the season. Please beat Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
And one of the worst games ever played goes to OT. I'm done. They cant be serious about either of these teams.

Reaction Score
Worrying about UConn's NCAA chances has become a personality trait of mine at this point despite our solid metrics. Only tournament team we've beaten is USC, 0-4 vs the 3 teams in the Big East that have a winning record in conference play besides us, and 75% of our total wins are against teams that are sub .500 on the season. Please beat Seton Hall.
Yes NEED a win tomorrow for seeding purposes. Without that there’s no way we can get 7 or lower.

Reaction Score

I agree. Tomorrow night is huge.

Reaction Score
Butler missed 11 of their last 14 free throws against Nova....but guard play and a defense that held Nova scoreless for seven minutes made that a moot point.

Maybe Butler is better than given credit for being.

Reaction Score
Its a safer world. Down goes Indiana. Down goes Boise St. Down goes Duke. Down goes Xavier. And for spite - Down goes Toledo - (to Central Mich), and maybe Ky down again trailing Ole Miss. Aahh. Its a shame.

Reaction Score
You and most of this board are beyond wrong on this. UConn has now found itself in the position of desperately needing a win over Seton Hall or we could be in danger of not going to the dance, and a win only gets us a crappy seed. This despite having a team that has Sweet 16 talent.

SJ's argument is that the Big East is going to get at least 3 bids no matter what. He may be right, but now the Big East is a 3 bid league when it hits the recruiting trail. Didn't UConn just leave a 3 bid league? Each season is not an island. They impact the seasons that come afterward. There is no upside and all downside for how UConn has managed its schedule this season, and rather than just acknowledge it, most of you are defending it as if it was brilliant.

None of you can put together a remotely coherent rationale for why barely making the Tournament is a great accomplishment for this team.
Here’s the thing, you don’t know what could have been done better. You can’t say with absolute certainty that we didn’t try to get games, especially games that would have helped our metrics. I think in an ideal situation everyone agrees with the premise, but that doesn’t mean a workable situation came up.

Reaction Score

First, explain your observation that UConn is barely making the tournament. There's two games left in the regular season plus the Big East tournament and none of us know how that will turn out or how teams in other leagues will finish their seasons and their conference tournaments. Look at Michigan tonight, or Duke.

Next, if the team has Sweet 16 talent and is, in your eyes, doing so poorly that must be an indictment of DH. Is that your evaluation of the coach?

Lastly, have you considered three shutdowns for the virus (courtesy of the state's political leaders, not the coach or the AD) might have impacted the schedule?

Reaction Score
Boise State, Xavier, Duke, and Indiana all lose pushing UConn further into the bracket.

Tomorrow is UConn gameday so that takes priority but things to keep an eye on before and after the game:

Syracuse (NET 55) v. Clemson at 5 on ACCN
  • A must win for a Cuse squad that is 0-6 in Q1 games. I hope they lose by 1,000. This is a Q2 game but would be a good scalp for them to get and maybe give them a shot of making it in without necessarily winning the ACC Tourney (but still at minimum need a deep run)
Wichita State (NET 66) v. Tulane at 6 on ESPN+ (LOL)
  • A no win game for the Shockers. Nothing like a nice Q3 game on the road in conference when you need to keep your head above water on the bubble. A loss ends the Shockers season.
Your University of Connecticut Huskies (NET 34) v. Seton Hall (NET 52) at 6:30 on FS1
  • A win for UConn likely cements a tourney bid for the first time since 2016. A loss is not ideal but should be OK (really hoping for revenge here). Seton Hall needs this game badly. They sit in the Last Four In of most brackets. A loss at home doesn't sink them but would require them to beat SJU over the weekend and probably win at least 2 in the Big East tourney and even then it's no guarantee.
Colorado State (NET 39) v. New Mexico at 8 on MW Network???
  • Judging by the fact I'm not even sure how to watch this game, it's a no win game for CSU. A win does nothing, a loss puts them in dangerous territory.
Maryland (NET 28) v. Northwestern at 9 on BTN
  • Terrapins are off the bubble, but losing this game is a good way to get back on it

Stanford (NET 61) v. USC at 10:30 on FS1
  • UConn's best win of the season takes on a Cardinal team on the outside looking in. Stanford needs this win or else a PAC 12 Tourney Title to go dancing.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

That is some mighty strong self-scaffolding to build your argument. It gets stronger and stronger with each unchecked assumption.

There ought to be a link at the bottom, so people can sign up for the whole course.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

So, by your logic,
1) The B1G is the greatest conference in the history of all sports, and can recruit off of that. Call me April 10th on that one.
2) UNC's loss against Marquette never happened, or couldn't possibly happen to us.
3) The numbers / metrics / circumstances for this season are just like any other. I'll enjoy Colgate as a protected seed, i guess.

Bring on another useless strawman response...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Boise State, Xavier, Duke, and Indiana all lose pushing UConn further into the bracket.

Tomorrow is UConn gameday so that takes priority but things to keep an eye on before and after the game:

Syracuse (NET 55) v. Clemson at 5 on ACCN
  • A must win for a Cuse squad that is 0-6 in Q1 games. I hope they lose by 1,000. This is a Q2 game but would be a good scalp for them to get and maybe give them a shot of making it in without necessarily winning the ACC Tourney (but still at minimum need a deep run)
Wichita State (NET 66) v. Tulane at 6 on ESPN+ (LOL)
  • A no win game for the Shockers. Nothing like a nice Q3 game on the road in conference when you need to keep your head above water on the bubble. A loss ends the Shockers season.
Your University of Connecticut Huskies (NET 34) v. Seton Hall (NET 52) at 6:30 on FS1
  • A win for UConn likely cements a tourney bid for the first time since 2016. A loss is not ideal but should be OK (really hoping for revenge here). Seton Hall needs this game badly. They sit in the Last Four In of most brackets. A loss at home doesn't sink them but would require them to beat SJU over the weekend and probably win at least 2 in the Big East tourney and even then it's no guarantee.
Colorado State (NET 39) v. New Mexico at 8 on MW Network???
  • Judging by the fact I'm not even sure how to watch this game, it's a no win game for CSU. A win does nothing, a loss puts them in dangerous territory.
Maryland (NET 28) v. Northwestern at 9 on BTN
  • Terrapins are off the bubble, but losing this game is a good way to get back on it

Stanford (NET 61) v. USC at 10:30 on FS1
  • UConn's best win of the season takes on a Cardinal team on the outside looking in. Stanford needs this win or else a PAC 12 Tourney Title to go dancing.

A perfect night would be Clemson, Tulane, UConn, UNM, NW, and USC. i waffle a bit on Wichita for AG, but not much.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So, by your logic,
1) The B1G is the greatest conference in the history of all sports, and can recruit off of that. Call me April 10th on that one.
2) UNC's loss against Marquette never happened, or couldn't possibly happen to us.
3) The numbers / metrics / circumstances for this season are just like any other. I'll enjoy Colgate as a protected seed, i guess.

Bring on another useless strawman response...

I think the Big 10 is overrated, but they actually played some games out of conference and the Big East, for the most part, didn't. This is especially true of UConn.

As for the strawman argument, you are the one defending not playing any games, not me, yet neither you nor anyone else can make a coherent, affirmative argument for why playing 3 non-conference games is a good idea. So you make strawman arguments like the one above.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I think the Big 10 is overrated, but they actually played some games out of conference and the Big East, for the most part, didn't. This is especially true of UConn.

As for the strawman argument, you are the one defending not playing any games, not me, yet neither you nor anyone else can make a coherent, affirmative argument for why playing 3 non-conference games is a good idea. So you make strawman arguments like the one above.

I'm defending not adding games right now. You're the one who isn't making the distinction between the B1G's earlier OOC games and the ones being added now. Big difference.

UConn should have a game against NC State and Nova on the board. If those 2 happened, this wouldn't even be worth discussing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom