Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Ok, I’ve read all of the comments in this thread. Some are quite compelling and make a ton of sense. Now I’m asking a different question. This a purely speculative question. If invited to join the Big 12 next year, what do you think UConn WILL do? Not should do, but will do? :eek:
Without question - accept the invite!!

Reaction Score
OK, After chewing on this for 4 days, what's the consensus here? Do we join if offered, or wait for a possible better offer to come along? :rolleyes:
There are some good arguments on both sides of the fence.
To answer that maybe we need to first understand why UConn left AAC, and what has changed that makes joining the Big 12 the best path.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was totally against leaving the Big East, but if the Big 12 adds Colorado, Arizona State, Arizona, BYU,, etc as rumored I would support the move then!
But I still believe the typical rivalries will not develop with opponents that far away!
What "typical" rivalries do we have now? Providence?

Reaction Score
I was totally against leaving the Big East, but if the Big 12 adds Colorado, Arizona State, Arizona, BYU,, etc as rumored I would support the move then!
But I still believe the typical rivalries will not develop with opponents that far away!
Well, BYU is already in the 14 members. Of course, two will be leaving next year so call it 12. General wisdom is you have an even number of members. Add Colorado and you need a "mate." That would leave UConn in good position for an invite. The conference could still add a pair like AZ and AZ State to go to 16 members.

The big question is Washington and Oregon. Are they confident enough to wait for the Big10 invite? (Is ND talking to the Big10? Some historic dislike there.) As one of those two, I would be hesitant to wait unless there are some SERIOUS back room discussions taking place.

Cal and Stanford have Tiny fanbases and are probably Mountain bound. California is really not a good college sports market (Too much to do they claim.) Oregon State and WAZZU are probably going to be orphans too.

You can develop rivalries with W. Virginia and Cincy as well as Disney U.

OUTSIDER VIEW: If the opportunity arises, take it! It may not come again.

Reaction Score
Questions: Because they are a football independent would the UConn football team immediately be available to join the conference? How easy would it be to break any commitments to other teams?

Reaction Score
Questions: Because they are a football independent would the UConn football team immediately be available to join the conference? How easy would it be to break any commitments to other teams?
Good question. We probably wouldn't be able to join right away because of how far in advance schedules are made. Big 12 would have to extend an offer like yesterday for us to be able to play in the 24-25 season I think. Earliest probably would be 25-26. It feels like Texas and Oklahoma have been leaving the Big 12 forever and they still have more than a year to go before they start play in the SEC.

Reaction Score
Good question. We probably wouldn't be able to join right away because of how far in advance schedules are made. Big 12 would have to extend an offer like yesterday for us to be able to play in the 24-25 season I think. Earliest probably would be 25-26. It feels like Texas and Oklahoma have been leaving the Big 12 forever and they still have more than a year to go before they start play in the SEC.
Thank you for the info. Someone needs to tell Gov. Lamont to get his checkbook ready to expedite the renovations and expansion of Pratt and Whitney stadium.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Questions: Because they are a football independent would the UConn football team immediately be available to join the conference?
Interesting question. Why couldn't FB go first?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Someone needs to tell Gov. Lamont to get his checkbook ready to expedite the renovations and expansion of Pratt and Whitney stadium.
I don't think that's necessary. He's been part of the process.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To answer that maybe we need to first understand why UConn left AAC, and what has changed that makes joining the Big 12 the best path.
Sure, happy to help.

UConn left the American because Aresco negotiated a broadcast right deal that included football, but was actually less valuable, on a net basis, than the media distribution we could get from the Big East. The new deal also required that member schools produce their own content for everything but football which meant in immediate investment in production facilities and staff. The new deal also would have taken Connecticut women's basketball off of linear TV. Remember that Connecticut received, at that time, about $1 million a year from SNY to broadcast women's games. The new American/ESPN deal would have largely made that ESPN + content, dramatically reducing exposure.

None of those factors will exist in the big 12 and our distribution will total approximately $50 million a year rather than the less than $10 million we were getting in the American.

Shooting Star GIF

CL82

Reaction Score
Thank you for the info. Someone needs to tell Gov. Lamont to get his checkbook ready to expedite the renovations and expansion of Pratt and Whitney stadium.
Absolutely, except those renovations are going to actually be situated in Storrs and will be an entirely new stadium.

Reaction Score
Sure, happy to help.

UConn left the American because Aresco negotiated a broadcast right deal that included football, but was actually less valuable, on a net basis, than the media distribution we could get from the Big East. The new deal also required that member schools produce their own content for everything but football which meant in immediate investment in production facilities and staff. The new deal also would have taken Connecticut women's basketball off of linear TV. Remember that Connecticut received, at that time, about $1 million a year from SNY to broadcast women's games. The new American/ESPN deal would have largely made that ESPN + content, dramatically reducing exposure.

None of those factors will exist in the big 12 and our distribution will total approximately $50 million a year rather than the less than $10 million we were getting in the American.

Shooting Star GIF
I believe that following the example of new Big 12 teams, UConn could not expect to receive a full share of TV money for at least the first three years. Do you know how that will work?

Reaction Score
Absolutely, except those renovations are going to actually be situated in Storrs and will be an entirely new stadium.
Nothing wrong with scenario. In fact, it might cost about the same as the renovations and expansion of Pratt and Whitney stadium.

CL82

Reaction Score
I believe that following the example of new Big 12 teams, UConn could not expect to receive a full share of TV money for at least the first three years. Do you know how that will work?
Not for certain, because there is no public deal. My understanding is that no increase was given by the broadcast partners for the four American teams. The existing members of the conference agreed to take less money so that they could give those four teams some small distribution, I think it's in the $15 million range, during the period after their joining but prior to the new contract going in place. After the new contract they will receive full shares.

The big 12 contract provides that any additional "P5" members to the conference cause the conference broadcast contract to be increased by a pro rata share. Brett Yormark has indicated that their broadcast partners have a greed to treat certain G5 additions as if they were P5 additions and give them a pro rata share. Yormark expressly indicated that Connecticut is in an institution that would receive a full pro rata share.

The three-year period that you've referenced appears to approximate the deal that the American school Scott, I actually believe it's only two years and not three years of receiving a partial share. But the engine that drove them getting that reduced chair doesn't apply to Connecticut. So theoretically we should receive our full share. Now, it is possible that even though the conference will receive a full share from the broadcast partners, they could conceivably pay us less than a full share. I don't believe that will happen. To the extent we get a reduced share of payout at all, I think it's possible we may get a reduced share of the college football playoff money.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the big 12 starts a new contract in 2025 and at that point all teams, including the four American teams will get a full share. There's a rumor floating around that Connecticut football may actually move to the big 12 next season. I don't know if that is correct. I wouldn't expect basketball to move prior to 2025.

The big take away is that the American teams distributions is actually getting paid for by the other big 12 teams agreeing to reduced share. That isn't the case for the addition of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Except the millions invested in facilities. I'm sorry but your first sentence is nonsense. College Sports is down to a Big 3. And the Big 12 is one of the three. It's UConn's best shot to remain relevant long-term.
We can't compete in football. Never will. It's money down the drain. Taxpayers' money down the drain, because it is Connecticut taxpayers who are shelling out tens of millions of dollars every year for the ever-deepening deficit in the sports department. We can compete in basketball and minor sports. But football? Never.

Reaction Score
We can't compete in football. Never will. It's money down the drain. Taxpayers' money down the drain, because it is Connecticut taxpayers who are shelling out tens of millions of dollars every year for the ever-deepening deficit in the sports department. We can compete in basketball and minor sports. But football? Never.
Why not? Is there a law against it? Only southern schools allowed to be good?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Have you been paying any attention at all to the football team?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
FYI.......................

ACC, CW strike broadcast deal to air 50 football and basketball games

This fall, the ACC will begin airing football and basketball events on the CW Network, a new addition to the league's Saturday broadcast schedule.

The CW has secured the rights to 50 ACC games, beginning Sept. 9 with Pitt's football game against Cincinnati. Thirteen ACC football games will air Saturdays on the CW, which will broadcast 28 ACC men's and women's basketball games throughout December, January, and February. The ACC will have men's basketball doubleheaders on the CW every Saturday, and women's basketball doubleheaders on Sunday afternoons.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with scenario. In fact, it might cost about the same as the renovations and expansion of Pratt and Whitney stadium.

Spend 500 million for an edifice that gets used 6 times a year? Great for the construction co. that gets the contract.
There were reasons that the old P&W land was used and many were non-football.

The state has been flush with revenue lately and this looks like the perfect time to convince the public that UConn football is more entertaining than either the Pats or the NYFG's.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I guess we don't have to speculate any further about “if” UConn should/will join the BIG 12 in the near future. Sounds like it's a “done deal.” I'll take what comes. IMO, it's easier to enjoy collegiate sports from the inside–looking-out, rather than the outside-looking-in. Head bang Life in the BIG 12 has got to be better financially than in the AAC or Big East. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Have you been paying any attention at all to the football team?

Spend 500 million for an edifice that gets used 6 times a year? Great for the construction co. that gets the contract.
There were reasons that the old P&W land was used and many were non-football.

The state has been flush with revenue lately and this looks like the perfect time to convince the public that UConn football is more entertaining than either the Pats or the NYFG's.

The edifice gets a retractable roof for basketball, ice cream fest, pizza fest, and concerts too, lol

Reaction Score
So what’s your next step in this crusade? Hold the Board of Trustee’s hostage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom