Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
I have not seen much support from any Big 12 President or AD, just from the Commissioner.

I think we can all stipulate that in the arena of college sports, this is a precarious time for schools, conferences, media companies, and governing entities. Given all the moving parts, new paradigms, needed guardrails and the risks of getting it wrong, it would be fortunate to have a commissioner with the insights and vision to steer your conference through lots of choppy, uncharted waters. It’s literally grow or die time.The old shibboleths are fading. That’s why I remain convinced that if Yormark wants (needs) UConn to help fulfill his vision of a revitalized Big12, the Presidents and AD’s, having hitched their wagon to him, will ultimately acquiesce.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how adding nobody is preferable to adding UConn as a stand alone, that makes no sense IMO.

The B12 just added four G5 schools and it has been received well, what is the harm with adding the hottest basketball program in the country (Men's and Women's)?

and UConn football has proven that when given the opportunity to compete in a P5 level conference that it can succeed, and that was before the advent of the transfer portal and NIL, both of which will give UConn football recruiting prowess it did not have in the old Big East football conference.
It’s really not that hard. You led with basketball. Basketball is a footnote. The revenue, and thus the driving force, is overwhelmingly based upon football.

Reaction Score
It's not UConn as much as the perception of adding only G5. I know you guys don't want to hear that stuff, but it's reality. That's why UConn pairing with a PAC school matters so much. It shouldn't but it does.
Yup, G5. But a G5 with 24 national championships, 16 of which are in revenue sports. Yes, I know that FB revenues are 3 times BB revenues. But UConn has been pretty good in the past in FB and will be again.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Connecticut is a wealthy, mid-sized state with lots of corporate headquarters located here, and we will never have a professional sports team because it is too close to Boston and New York. UConn is the state's pro team, and always has been. That means the fan base extends well beyond just the alumni.

In an NIL world, where anyone can buy a team, UConn is a couple of hedge funds away from building an NIL powerhouse. The University of Connecticut is well-positioned for success, either within the Big 12 or the Big East. Yormark sees that, and that is why he is pushing for UConn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Connecticut is a wealthy, mid-sized state with lots of corporate headquarters located here, and we will never have a professional sports team because it is too close to Boston and New York. UConn is the state's pro team, and always has been. That means the fan base extends well beyond just the alumni.

In an NIL world, where anyone can buy a team, UConn is a couple of hedge funds away from building an NIL powerhouse. The University of Connecticut is well-positioned for success, either within the Big 12 or the Big East. Yormark sees that, and that is why he is pushing for UConn.
Boomer is a better look than adult basement dweller.

Exit is angry that I made a positive post about UConn.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Exit is angry that I made a positive post about UConn.
So not going to deny the basement charge. Very well.

Who knows where you are going today on this board. Can’t respond to all of it. I can only waste so much time.

Reaction Score
You sound like more of a boomer with every post.

2002 called. They want their rationale for realignment back.
As soon as you realize that age does not matter in debate the better off you will be. You are coming across as someone who is out of his league. And oh, btw, in debate, the first participant to call his opponent a name has performed a concession and has identified homself as the loser. It means you have no other rational argument to make in your quiver. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

We likely would only need one hedge fund but I don't know which one that would be.

I'm surrounded by a number of them here, one is run by a UVA grad who happens to be a massive donor to that school. Most of the remaining funds are run by ivy league grads who very likely have little interest in advancing UConn athletics (although a couple have made large contributions specified for certain academic fields).

Reaction Score
It hasn't been confirmed that we would be a prorated add, which can be the hold up.

There might also be some AD who don't see our addition in good light cause they would be even further down the pecking order (couch Cincinnati cough)
It might be a bit early to predict UConn's place in the Big 12 pecking order, not only with regard to (cough, Cincinnati, cough), but also with regard to any of the other schools. First, UConn has yet to receive and accept a formal public invitation to join that conference. And so, I'm reminded of another poultry analogy: Don't count your chickens until they hatch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As soon as you realize that age does not matter in debate the better off you will be. You are coming across as someone who is out of his league. And oh, btw, in debate, the first participant to call his opponent a name has performed a concession and has identified homself as the loser. It means you have no other rational argument to make in your quiver. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

This is possibly the worst internet comeback ever.

BLawyer is a big boy who can handle his own defense. I have gone back and forth with him on the Boneyard for about 2 decades. We have called each other a lot worse than "boomer".

It is not great that I have to explain this to you, but "boomer" is a way of thinking as much as an age. It means that you have dated yourself somehow. 2/3's of the CR board are boomers when it comes to how they think of realignment.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We likely would only need one hedge fund but I don't know which one that would be.

I'm surrounded by a number of them here, one is run by a UVA grad who happens to be a massive donor to that school. Most of the remaining funds are run by ivy league grads who very likely have little interest in advancing UConn athletics (although a couple have made large contributions specified for certain academic fields).

I know plenty of wealthy small school graduates that are big fans of UConn athletics. People like sports, and UConn is the only big-time college sports show in town for Connecticut.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Exactly. We will see what the next couple decades brings as UConn grads matriculate in the workforce- but the immediate term the hedge funds remain dominated by Ivies and sub Ivies.

Reaction Score
This is possibly the worst internet comeback ever.
Ever more opinion. Which in the context of a discussion boards is just bs. Why? Because opinions are like rectums. Everyone has one. In your case 4 or 12. Learn to make your case and let it go on the merits. You will be taken more seriously.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Exactly. We will see what the next couple decades brings as UConn grads matriculate in the workforce- but the immediate term the hedge funds remain dominated by Ivies and sub Ivies.

Can you make a post that is not a slap at UConn?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ever more opinion. Which in the context of a discussion boards is just bs. Why? Because opinions are like rectums. Everyone has one. In your case 4 or 12. Learn to make your case and let it go on the merits. You will be taken more seriously.

It is really bad form to selectively grab a portion of a post to change the meaning. Also, don't use trite cliches.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I know plenty of wealthy small school graduates that are big fans of UConn athletics. People like sports, and UConn is the only big-time college sports show in town for Connecticut.
Are they donating? Are they donating at a level within shouting distance of what Jones has done with UVA?

Your initial comment about hedge fund donations is a level many tiers higher than anything UConn has seen. There is nothing I I would love more than to have a handful of people down here making contributions that would tower over what Schenkman and Burton spent in the early days of our football upgrade. Hoping for something to happen isn't an effective strategy.

Reaction Score
You sound like more of a boomer with every post.

2002 called. They want their rationale for realignment back.
You need me to pretend I'm younger than I am?

I'll make you a deal -- the first time that a power conference adds a school to its football league for primarily basketball reasons, I will compliment you for being ahead of trends. (Because I'm a boomer, as I've said for years I don't plan on seeing that day unless the NCAA stops funding itself and its subsidies for member schools solely through hoops but makes football pay its share). Until then, however, please quit pretending that you thinking something new will happen in the future is the same as it actually having happened.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Can you make a post that is not a slap at UConn?
How can anyone converse with someone that sees the above basic observation as a slap? You aren’t serious- we get it.

In the meantime I’ll wait for your long list of hedge funds lead by UConn grads. And pretty much only founders have the level of coin that matters.

Reaction Score
You need me to pretend I'm younger than I am?

I'll make you a deal -- the first time that a power conference adds a school to its football league for primarily basketball reasons, I will compliment you for being ahead of trends. (Because I'm a boomer, as I've said for years I don't plan on seeing that day unless the NCAA stops funding itself and its subsidies for member schools solely through hoops but makes football pay its share). Until then, however, please quit pretending that you thinking something new will happen in the future is the same as it actually having happened.
How about basketball being one of the top two reasons?? For this big 12 thing to work for us, basketball has to be a driver. Of course geography (Northeast / NY market) is reason 1 by a mile, basketball is #2 right now. Or at least football is not top anything.

Exception to the football first rule? Absolutely, but we need that to work for us.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how adding nobody is preferable to adding UConn as a stand alone, that makes no sense IMO.

It doesn’t make sense as far as a unified strategy. But if a number of big 12 schools are skeptical about adding UConn and just want p5 schools and there’s another group that cares about all the reasons that we would be added, taking one of each might be a compromise that makes it more likely to happen

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom