Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
I absolutely do not want to move to the Big 12. We will lose more as a program than we could possibly gain. Including…..

1. MSG being filled with UCONN fans. No matter where in the middle of nowhere they decide to play their conference tournament, UCONN fans will not travel that far to attend. The conference tournament ceses to be special.

2. UCONN goes from being a major player in an excellent basketball conference to a small fish in a huge football dominated conference. For those who think that UCONN is going to have a meteoric rise in football by playing teams that are light years ahead of them and that they are going to listen to us the same as they do the more established football programs….wake up!!!! They have 0 respect for our football program. They just want to get in the New York market. Once in the Big 12 we would have zero influence because football rules.

3) We lose our home court advantage in recruiting in the North East. In the Big 12 there are no easy trips for the families to see their kids play and there is no guarantee of playing in the Mecca if Basketball MSG. All we will be able to get is paid mercenaries which puts us in the same boat with everyone else, constant roster turnover.

Money doesn’t solve everything and Benedict shouldn’t mess with what’s working. Being greedy will only make UCONN lose what makes it special. Just ask Cuse, Pitt and BC.
Re: #2. There is no reason we can’t compete now that we have a coach. It’s not like kids at other schools stay for 10 years.

And yes, money never solves everything, but it sure beats not having it.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If you think we leave the conference and our current conference-mates line up to play us afterwards you are off your rocker. There will be heavy opposition to us.
Didn’t we continue to play Syracuse after they left for the ACC?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
P5 schools are falling over each other trying to compete to get into the Big 10 or SEC. There is absolutely no chance the Big 10 is taking a school that hasn’t proven to be competitive in football in a P5 conference. Any remote hope of the Big 10 for us would be showing 5+ years of sustained success in a P5 conference for football and investment/commitment in football from the university.

Pure poppycock, a work of fiction. A bunch or words strung together in an attempt to make an argument but really lead to nowhere

Now here's the cold hard truth. We're in uncharted territory, and nobody knows how the dominoes will fall. I actually think it's silly to suggest we have to go to the Big12 to get into the Big10, but good and smart people can and do disagree

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey guys, new to the forum. My opinion is that it would be foolish to leave the Big East for the Big12. So many of you have already mentioned the multiple downsides. Travel, lack of natural rivals, and being stuck in a league with teams we have no allegiance to. But there is really farorw upside in staying put until some other solution comes along. Didn’t we live in basketball limbo for how many years in the AAC, winning one title but really becoming irrelevant as recruiting was woeful, our fan base wasn’t engaged and the games were not nationally televised. NOW, we are returning to our roots, we’re a legacy franchise in the Big East again, St. John’s is upgrading with Pitino, our league is seeing a resurgence in street credibility potentially having the most teams in the NCAA tourney next year. Forget getting top talent to come here if we move to the boondocks. Star recruits want to play in MSG, Philly, Storrs. We have a reputation as a premier league.

So should we listen to the outcry to grab the millions and leave the league we left a decade ago only to come back in the 3rd year and hoist a national title banner? Screw the money. Our football team will never be anything but fodder for a real division 1 league. Good luck getting kicked every Saturday. All I have to point to is the Game last year with Michigan. 60 something to 7? So entertaining. What an embarrassment. Where does our up and coming hockey go? To the Big12? Do they even play hockey there? While the Big East is never in its current state going to have competitive football, perhaps what makes more sense is to meet with the ACC schools that have storied basketball teams, that also play decent division 1 football, invite other schools like Syracuse and form a new ACC league.

Moving to the BIG12 would not guarantee us a full member yearly share of the revenue and we would pay huge exit fees from the Big East. As they say, be careful what you wish for.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
So Cincy and UCF bring down the conference slightly which is why the Big 12 needs UConn to offset them.

Amirite @kobe
Yormark is an absolute bozo if he thinks a church league school will get approval from the presidents. UConn to the Big 12 never has and never will be a thing.

Reaction Score
Yormark is an absolute bozo if he thinks a church league school will get approval from the presidents. UConn to the Big 12 never has and never will be a thing

Do you not find it kind of pathetic to go onto other school’s boards on a Monday evening to go talk ? Like just in general. Doesn’t that seem like kind of a sad way for an adult man to spend his time?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yormark is an absolute bozo if he thinks a church league school will get approval from the presidents. UConn to the Big 12 never has and never will be a thing.
Well, I think having put in four schools at a discount as filler, he needs a marquee school to make up for them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Do you not find it kind of pathetic to go onto other school’s boards on a Monday evening to go talk ? Like just in general. Doesn’t that seem like kind of a sad way for an adult man to spend his time?
He's a Cincinnati Bearcat fan. Kind of sad is his comfort zone.

Reaction Score
Hey guys, new to the forum. My opinion is that it would be foolish to leave the Big East for the Big12. So many of you have already mentioned the multiple downsides. Travel, lack of natural rivals, and being stuck in a league with teams we have no allegiance to. But there is really farorw upside in staying put until some other solution comes along. Didn’t we live in basketball limbo for how many years in the AAC, winning one title but really becoming irrelevant as recruiting was woeful, our fan base wasn’t engaged and the games were not nationally televised. NOW, we are returning to our roots, we’re a legacy franchise in the Big East again, St. John’s is upgrading with Pitino, our league is seeing a resurgence in street credibility potentially having the most teams in the NCAA tourney next year. Forget getting top talent to come here if we move to the boondocks. Star recruits want to play in MSG, Philly, Storrs. We have a reputation as a premier league.

So should we listen to the outcry to grab the millions and leave the league we left a decade ago only to come back in the 3rd year and hoist a national title banner? Screw the money. Our football team will never be anything but fodder for a real division 1 league. Good luck getting kicked every Saturday. All I have to point to is the Game last year with Michigan. 60 something to 7? So entertaining. What an embarrassment. Where does our up and coming hockey go? To the Big12? Do they even play hockey there? While the Big East is never in its current state going to have competitive football, perhaps what makes more sense is to meet with the ACC schools that have storied basketball teams, that also play decent division 1 football, invite other schools like Syracuse and form a new ACC league.

Moving to the BIG12 would not guarantee us a full member yearly share of the revenue and we would pay huge exit fees from the Big East. As they say, be careful what you wish for.
We never left any league a decade ago.

Reaction Score
Pure poppycock, a work of fiction. A bunch or words strung together in an attempt to make an argument but really lead to nowhere

Now here's the cold hard truth. We're in uncharted territory, and nobody knows how the dominoes will fall. I actually think it's silly to suggest we have to go to the Big12 to get into the Big10, but good and smart people can and do disagree
To be honest, I don’t think we’ll ever get into the Big 10. There are just too many schools that offer more. The ACC is loaded and the Big 10 is just waiting out their GOR. The Big 10 cares about one thing: football. Our basketball program means nothing to them. Our other sports mean nothing to them. They care about football. IMO they will never add a school with our football history no matter how Mora manages to turn things around. They got their NY market in Rutgers, they have no need for us.

But if there is any infinitesimally small chance they would, they absolutely would not accept a G5 school. That is below them. We are G5 in football whether we like it or not. The Big 10 and SEC are in another realm of existence. If we stay in the Big East we are hoping the college sports landscape remains in such a way that the Big East is somehow able to remain a power conference in basketball. I think it’s unlikely, but I could be wrong. I think a lot hinges on Villanova remaining strong. But if we stay in the Big East, we are not able to build a full “power” schedule as an independent and the Big 10 will never show an interest in us. We are not Notre Dame.

You can disagree if you want, but you’ve shown to have a complete lack of understanding of how this whole process works.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I don’t think we’ll ever get into the Big 10. There are just too many schools that offer more. The ACC is loaded and the Big 10 is just waiting out their GOR. The Big 10 cares about one thing: football. Our basketball program means nothing to them. Our other sports mean nothing to them. They care about football. IMO they will never add a school with our football history no matter how Mora manages to turn things around. They got their NY market in Rutgers, they have no need for us.

But if there is any infinitesimally small chance they would, they absolutely would not accept a G5 school. That is below them. We are G5 in football whether we like it or not. The Big 10 and SEC are in another realm of existence. If we stay in the Big East we are hoping the college sports landscape remains in such a way that the Big East is somehow able to remain a power conference in basketball. I think it’s unlikely, but I could be wrong. I think a lot hinges on Villanova remaining strong. But if we stay in the Big East, we are not able to build a full “power” schedule as an independent and the Big 10 will never show an interest in us. We are not Notre Dame.

You can disagree if you want, but you’ve shown to have a complete lack of understanding of how this whole process works.
I disagree. Saying Rutgers has the New York market means you don't know what's going on. It would be like ACC saying glad we have BC. We locked up Boston market, which is laughable. No one in NYC cares about Rutgers. It's actually a negative. It's embarrassing if you went to Rutgers. We will be big 10s only option. Maryland and Rutgers is where the big 10 screwed up. They had to get two LA teams because it was such a disaster. We are in perfect position. Big 12 is so lame. No thanks. Just be patient.

Reaction Score
1 - Where is Kansas going?
2 - You left out Baylor (they won a title not long ago.
3 - Top to bottom the B-12 (with UConn) is a far better men's basketball conference than the BE (with UConn).
4 - Any current BE schools that we want to continue a relationship with will be more than happy to schedule games with us. When we were in the AAC we scheduled a series with Nova (when they were at their highest point ever and we were at our lowest since Perno). They obviously were the only BE school we felt an important enough connection with to continue playing at that time. If things have changed I'm confident that an agreement can be reached with other BE schools.
Nonsense. Every school in big east is better than big 12 equivalent. Uconn vs Kansas. UConn by a huge margin. Villanova vs Baylor. Villanova by huge margin. Then what? Pitino, Marquette, Georgetown coach from Providence. Butler is the worst team in the league and they went back to back finals. MSG matters. We basically run MSG. Big 12 sucks. Aac all over again. We are literally playing the only team that matters anyway from Big 12. Biggest game of regular season is uconn vs Kansas. We are the show. Every game we play this year will be other teams biggest game by far. Just be patient, big 10 will be calling.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. Every school in big east is better than big 12 equivalent. Uconn vs Kansas. UConn by a huge margin. Villanova vs Baylor. Villanova by huge margin. Then what? Pitino, Marquette, Georgetown coach from Providence. Butler is the worst team in the league and they went back to back finals. MSG matters. We basically run MSG. Big 12 sucks. Aac all over again. We are literally playing the only team that matters anyway from Big 12. Biggest game of regular season is uconn vs Kansas. We are the show. Every game we play this year will be other teams biggest game by far. Just be patient, big 10 will be calling.
Kansas is 3-0 against UConn

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Please read what I wrote again as you obviously missed (not only) what I pointed out (but also a critical part of the transaction).

If we were to move to the B-12 we cannot be viewed as being a BE program that is better than its B-12 counterpart. The comparisons would be (as I pointed out) the BE without us vs the B-12 without us.

Which BE program (not including UConn) is better than Kansas? After removing those two, who in the BE is better than Baylor? Working down the list, pick whoever you believe is better of the next schools.

Call me silly but I personally would like to wait and see Pitino and Cooley actually do something (at St John's and Georgetown respectively) before declaring this 1985 again.

I do see the B-10 as the goal for our ultimate destination (and I am more confident than most here that a path to this exists) but that offer isn't materializing before 2032-2035 and it won't happen if we cannot improve on a number of levels. Improvement on those levels won't happen without improving our financial situation by a considerable amount and a step from the B-12 to the B-10 is far more reasonable than a step from the BE (a decade from now) to the B-10.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Villanova has showed out better at MSG than we have since 2014. I wouldn’t necessarily say we own NYC. We just board trains well and go to games.

Reaction Score
Villanova has showed out better at MSG than we have since 2014. I wouldn’t necessarily say we own NYC. We just board trains well and go to games.
Exactly. UConn travels well. To MSG, we travel really well. Go back and watch the elite 8 game vs Michigan state.The atmosphere there was as good as it gets for college basketball. We owned MSG. It’s called Storrs South for good reason.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

In the fairly recent past, UConn has had the highest TV ratings for college basketball teams in NYC

Have not seen such articles recently

Reaction Score
Please read what I wrote again as you obviously missed (not only) what I pointed out (but also a critical part of the transaction).

If we were to move to the B-12 we cannot be viewed as being a BE program that is better than its B-12 counterpart. The comparisons would be (as I pointed out) the BE without us vs the B-12 without us.

Which BE program (not including UConn) is better than Kansas? After removing those two, who in the BE is better than Baylor? Working down the list, pick whoever you believe is better of the next schools.

Call me silly but I personally would like to wait and see Pitino and Cooley actually do something (at St John's and Georgetown respectively) before declaring this 1985 again.

I do see the B-10 as the goal for our ultimate destination (and I am more confident than most here that a path to this exists) but that offer isn't materializing before 2032-2035 and it won't happen if we cannot improve on a number of levels. Improvement on those levels won't happen without improving our financial situation by a considerable amount and a step from the B-12 to the B-10 is far more reasonable than a step from the BE (a decade from now) to the B-10.
With Houston coming in also, B12 seems very well represented in any top 50 ratings or ranking criteria even with the loss of Texas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom