Best way to create more space for Martin? | The Boneyard

Best way to create more space for Martin?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Good things happen for us when Tyrese gets in lanes. He gets a high percentage look or gets fouled. Even when he misses he’ll often get his own rebound and put it back. Players are afraid to step in front of him. Running him off screens getting him heading downhill is my favorite play we run. But with the Whaley-Jackson lineup there is no space for him to operate as teams play Whaley and Jackson as non-shooters. He’s much more effective when Polley and/or Hawkins is on the floor. Kid should be Jarrod Cumberland consistently but it’s just too cramped.

Would you start Hawkins in place of Whaley or Jackson? It’s a really tough choice because Whaley and Jackson are the 2 best defenders we have and with Jackson you get the added benefit of passing, namely entry passes to Sanogo.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've suggested for last week or so UConn is playing better with a four out, one in lineup.

I'd move Whaley to the bench and start Hawkins. Martin becomes the de facto stretch 4 in a lineup with Cole, Jax, Hawkins, Martin and Sanogo. Lane should be much more clear, especially if Jax penetrates and kicks the ball out to Cole or Hawkins.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Martin is a beast. I like his game. Does he have a nickname?

Reaction Score
Good things happen for us when Tyrese gets in lanes. He gets a high percentage look or gets fouled. Even when he misses he’ll often get his own rebound and put it back. Players are afraid to step in front of him. Running him off screens getting him heading downhill is my favorite play we run. But with the Whaley-Jackson lineup there is no space for him to operate as teams play Whaley and Jackson as non-shooters. He’s much more effective when Polley and/or Hawkins is on the floor. Kid should be Jarrod Cumberland consistently but it’s just too cramped.

Would you start Hawkins in place of Whaley or Jackson? It’s a really tough choice because Whaley and Jackson are the 2 best defenders we have and with Jackson you get the added benefit of passing, namely entry passes to Sanogo.

We look like we'll be finishing the season with a seven player rotation. All 7 will be playing plenty. With that small a rotation I don't think it matters who starts. What matters is that Hurley figures out in any particular game if we have to be playing smaller or longer and adjust minutes accordingly to the extent he can.

Reaction Score
Every player on the floor has to use their BB IQ and understand the concept of spacing within the offensive scheme of the coaching staff. You can't bring your guy (the defender) to one of your teammates so that they don't have space to create their shot.. Defeats the purpose. Nova understands spacing

Kind of like lacrosse or soccer ..You have to create space to allow your play makers to do their thing. BTW--By doing so- You might find yourself wide open to do your thing if they reverse the ball on the backside.

Sanogo is still learning some of the nuances of the game.. Like spacing-- So its a work in progress.

Reaction Score
We look like we'll be finishing the season with a seven player rotation. All 7 will be playing plenty. With that small a rotation I don't think it matters who starts. What matters is that Hurley figures out in any particular game if we have to be playing smaller or longer and adjust minutes accordingly to the extent he can.
7 man rotation is ok but we still need depth just in that short list of key players gets onto foul trouble or injuries. Hopefully, the other 5 or so players sitting the majority of time on the bench can provide is forced to be called upon.

Reaction Score
Starting Hawkins instead of Whaley does a couple of interesting things. It keeps Whaley out of early foul trouble. It opens the floor for Sanogo on offense. BUT... it does put Adama in more danger of foul trouble on the defenisve end. Of course, if AS does collect an early foul, Whaley can replace him.

If Sanogo stays foul free, the move allows Hurley to sub Whaley against the opposing player that needs attention whether he is subbed for Martin or Jackon or Hawkins. It also force feeds minutes to Hawkins and speeds up his development which can pay BIG dividends.

It is something to consider.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Bingo.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
7 man rotation is ok but we still need depth just in that short list of key players gets onto foul trouble or injuries. Hopefully, the other 5 or so players sitting the majority of time on the bench can provide is forced to be called upon.

It's a 7.25 person rotation.

Gaff has been reduced to spot minutes and Akok can't stay healthy.

Springs, Johnson and Diggins emergency use only.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Martin also has more of a post up game than Whaley. If we aren’t missing shots, Whaley isn’t scoring. Whaley can provide size for us at the four but offers nothing in offense.

It will also lessen the chances of both our bigs getting fouls so early like against nova. I wish akok gets healthy bc we’re going to need him going forward.

You can’t take Jackson out of the starting lineup. For all his shooting woes, the kid is what you want in a player. Never takes a play off, rebounds with the best of them, attacks the rim, can handle the ball, etc.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of bringing AJ in as the point forward to run the offense and give Cole a break but before the season I was clamoring for a small ball lineup of

Cole/Hawk/AJ/Martin/Sanogo

Its as good of a small ball rebounding unit as you could ask for

Reaction Score
I've suggested for last week or so UConn is playing better with a four out, one in lineup.

I'd move Whaley to the bench and start Hawkins. Martin becomes the de facto stretch 4 in a lineup with Cole, Jax, Hawkins, Martin and Sanogo. Lane should be much more clear, especially if Jax penetrates and kicks the ball out to Cole or Hawkins.
Exact thing I said. Bring Whaley off the bench.

Reaction Score

I love it when Martin pulls the 3-point trigger from the left side of the basket in the corner. Money all day.

pj

Reaction Score
Hawkins for Whaley seems the logical move, and Hawkins may be stepping up his game just in time to make it happen.

If Hawkins does take minutes from Whaley, by earning them, then I like this team's chances in March.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We beat Marquette with post play, and Martin played a good game. Taking both Jackson and Whalley out would greatly diminish the strength of this team. Giving Hawk more minutes helps the offense. I guess it depends on matchups and production.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of bringing AJ in as the point forward to run the offense and give Cole a break but before the season I was clamoring for a small ball lineup of

Cole/Hawk/AJ/Martin/Sanogo

Its as good of a small ball rebounding unit as you could ask for
We played this lineup for decent stretches against both Marquette and Nova. Faired okay in both, not outstandingly, but that's tough competition.

We've played the same lineup with Polley in for Hawkins a bit more throughout the season and it has been quite good, possibly our best lineup. (The same lineup with Whaley in for Sanogo also has been excellent).

The 1 big + Martin lineup with both Polley+Hawkins without AJ combo has been really bad all season, though. Jackson makes the 1 big lineup work.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I love the idea of starting Hawkins for Whaley. Get more spacing and let Martin play the 4. Can still be defensively stout and rebound well. Let Whaley come off the bench to save the fouls and I think he plays better under the rim anyways. He had his best year playing the 5 and now we're asking him to play stretch 4 and wonder why he has games where he disappears. Develop Hawk, let Whaley play is natural position, and keep shooters on the floor. No 2 big man lineups unless the matchup calls for it please. Between Martin, Jackson, and Polley we have plenty of guys who can play that 4 spot. If only we had an extra guard/ballhandler.

Reaction Score
Hawkins for AJ. Keep Whaley in the starting lineup to protect Adama from early foul trouble on the defensive end. Run sets Hawkins for him to add spacing.

AJ is now our defacto back up point guard. When he stays in control he looks good. Against Marquette, AJ ran point with Cole on the bunch when Hurley took Gaffney out. Save some of his minutes played in the starting lineup for when Cole needs a breather. Having AJ run point with Martin as the secondary ball handler work much better than relying on Gaffney to be serviceable when Cole sits.

Reaction Score
Hawkins for AJ. Keep Whaley in the starting lineup to protect Adama from early foul trouble on the defensive end. Run sets Hawkins for him to add spacing.

AJ is now our defacto back up point guard. When he stays in control he looks good. Against Marquette, AJ ran point with Cole on the bunch when Hurley took Gaffney out. Save some of his minutes played in the starting lineup for when Cole needs a breather. Having AJ run point with Martin as the secondary ball handler work much better than relying on Gaffney to be serviceable when Cole sits.
This is the lineup I thought might be the starting lineup in the pre-season. We've only played it 21 possessions this year (Auburn, St. John's, Nova, Marquette), but Hurley has started using it more the last 2 games (13 possessions of the 21 in last 2 games). It was our best lineup against Nova, but didn't score very well against Marquette. Sample sizes so far though.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wasn’t Whaley our best player against Nova?
He was against Creighton. 20 pts, 4-8 from 3. Against Nova he only took 3 shots, IIRC all putbacks,

Reaction Score

Good thoughts on freeing up Tyrese, another is to gets plays for him early or when he needs a jolt, always keep him involved, he has a high motor.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Starting Hawkins instead of Whaley does a couple of interesting things. It keeps Whaley out of early foul trouble. It opens the floor for Sanogo on offense. BUT... it does put Adama in more danger of foul trouble on the defenisve end. Of course, if AS does collect an early foul, Whaley can replace him.

If Sanogo stays foul free, the move allows Hurley to sub Whaley against the opposing player that needs attention whether he is subbed for Martin or Jackon or Hawkins. It also force feeds minutes to Hawkins and speeds up his development which can pay BIG dividends.

It is something to consider.

This is why I wanted Akok to start for Whaley. He's enough of a shooting threat that defenders will need to go guard him outside, and he's going to offer 90% of the interior paint defense help that Whaley did (he's actually a better weak side shotblocker). But that's out of play.

I can see starting Whaley, but he needs to come out for Hawkins within 3-5 minutes. This whole 10 minutes no subs thing has to stop. Get Whaley an early rest, so he'd fresh to rest Adama. I really hate seeing Polley at the 4 though, he's better as a 3. Often miscast due to his height, but both Jackson and Martin are better defenders (everywhere actually) in the paint and rebounders.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom