Best quality speakers - CD and Bluetooth | The Boneyard

Best quality speakers - CD and Bluetooth

Reaction Score
Am looking for a home speaker setup, and want to prioritize sound quality - hence why I’m interested in something that can play CDs. My number one priority is the absolute best sound quality, and I’d also love if it could play Bluetooth.

Is the best option an all-in-one that has speakers and a CD player, or some sort of external CD player that can connect to speakers (and any other equipment). Appreciate any thoughts!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I echo the Sonos love. Surprisingly fantastic sound from smaller form factors. The best part is you can buy an initial setup and easily add to it over time. I’ve put together 2/3 of my setup from FB Marketplace.

Btw, what’s the fascination with CDs anyway? Almost any artist and track is now available via streaming and the sound quality is still damn good with the right speakers.

Reaction Score
Love my Sonos system. Not that expensive, and a great sound.

If you have Spotify Playlists created or Playlists from Amazon Music, Sonos will recognize them. Also, it will play Sirius, TuneIn, Pandora and local and non-local radio stations, and Podcasts too.

Their Tech Support is pretty good too.

Reaction Score
Am looking for a home speaker setup, and want to prioritize sound quality - hence why I’m interested in something that can play CDs. My number one priority is the absolute best sound quality, and I’d also love if it could play Bluetooth.

Is the best option an all-in-one that has speakers and a CD player, or some sort of external CD player that can connect to speakers (and any other equipment). Appreciate any thoughts!
I feel like you’re going to have to narrow your requirements quite a bit and the Boneyard may not be your best place for answers. Simple setup and somewhat reasonably priced? Sonos is a great bet. If you really are looking for the best sound quality, there’s tons of audiophile-quality towers and even larger bookshelf speakers, which will blow sonos out of the water, but that takes a much larger space, setup, and $$$$ commitment.

Reaction Score
Uh
I feel like you’re going to have to narrow your requirements quite a bit and the Boneyard may not be your best place for answers. Simple setup and somewhat reasonably priced? Sonos is a great bet. If you really are looking for the best sound quality, there’s tons of audiophile-quality towers and even larger bookshelf speakers, which will blow sonos out of the water, but that takes a much larger space, setup, and $$$$ commitment.
I used to be very into home audio. I’ve had McIntosh equipment, Bowers and Wilkins speakers. Martin Logan, Klipsch Cornwalls etc so I was initially skeptical of Sonos and competitors. I started with 2 smaller Play One speakers and was blown away by the quality of sound. For maybe 5-10% of the listeners out there, they may not be sufficient but I don’t consider myself an easy critic and they’re perfectly fine for me now. I recommend getting the sub too. Unless someone has the Connect Amp, using a non Sonos turntable isn’t an option.

Reaction Score
Uh

I used to be very into home audio. I’ve had McIntosh equipment, Bowers and Wilkins speakers. Martin Logan, Klipsch Cornwalls etc so I was initially skeptical of Sonos and competitors. I started with 2 smaller Play One speakers and was blown away by the quality of sound. For maybe 5-10% of the listeners out there, they may not be sufficient but I don’t consider myself an easy critic and they’re perfectly fine for me now. I recommend getting the sub too. Unless someone has the Connect Amp, using a non Sonos turntable isn’t an option.
Oh I fully agree with you. For the vast majority of consumers, Sonos will be perfect for their needs. They sound great and are phenomenally easy to set up. They are not as good sound quality as a mid-to-high end traditional setup but most consumers won’t really tell the difference and the trade offs are generally not worth it to them. That’s the point of my initial post though when the OP is saying sound quality above else.

Reaction Score
I have Niles HD 9.5"s installed in the ceiling in most of the rooms in my house including a 5:1 setup in the family/entertainment room. I have a SONOS sound bar in the dowstairs Man Cave. Both can be controlled via bluetooth/WiFi mesh.

Of the two components I prefer the SONOS sound bar; Samsung also makes a great product and IMO you can't go wrong with either if you're looking for something that would not be part of the home's physical architecture (e.g. my ceiling speakers).

I bought my wife a set of wireless Beatz noise cancelling headphones and she absolutely positively loves them. Wears 'em around the house while cooking, cleaning, or just hanging around. They are by far the best gift I've ever gotten her. ~$300 well spent.

Reaction Score
I got a Sonos One for my mother as a Christmas gift and set it up this week. Its a single bluetooth speaker Alexa compatible (which she used before). It can be linked to a second speaker and they sell in bundles around $400. For a $15 Best Buy Apple App Store Gift card you can get 6 months Apple Music along with the gift card. If you don't need the Apple gift card who cares. Linked both the Sonos App and the Alexa App to Apple Music (had to reboot everything and re-link Alexa because it prefers Amazon Music). Apple music seems to have a huge selection and is said to have higher streaming quality than Spotify/Amazon etc.. I didn't have time to adjust the sound but listening to a little Bocelli, Joss Stone it sounded pretty good for the living room-dining room. I think the bundle of 2 would enhance the sound greatly with the right speaker placement and audio adjustments.

I'm sure there are other great options out there but even without an actual wired CD this seems pretty satisfactory both from a musical and an aesthetic standpoint. If you're really looking for near audiophile sound be prepared to spend at least $1500++++

Simple has started to look better for me unless we're talking Home Theater in which case I'd be looking at the Sony HT-A9 still simple (wireless except for power to speakers) but has great reviews at around $2000-2500 with sub? That's my .02 fwiw.

Reaction Score
Oh I fully agree with you. For the vast majority of consumers, Sonos will be perfect for their needs. They sound great and are phenomenally easy to set up. They are not as good sound quality as a mid-to-high end traditional setup but most consumers won’t really tell the difference and the trade offs are generally not worth it to them. That’s the point of my initial post though when the OP is saying sound quality above else.
Not to sound like a Sonos commercial but I also love how each speaker has its own stereo sound so you can get good sound out of just one and add it to it throughout the house. I bought my sub, Playbar and 3 others used, at very reasonably prices.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
My sound system is straight out of the 90s/00s other than a Google music device hooked in to one of the receiver inputs for streaming music from YT or wherever. Klipsch floorspeakers, a Denon receiver, and a Teac CD player. There's an Audio Technica record player as well, but you weren't asking about LPs. Sounds great. Plays basically anything I would want to listen to. You can also get a Bluetooth receiver and plug that in to listen to anything in Bluetooth. If you have an older system, it's not very difficult or expensive to modernize it a bit.

Reaction Score
Not to sound like a Sonos commercial but I also love how each speaker has its own stereo sound so you can get good sound out of just one and add it to it throughout the house. I bought my sub, Playbar and 3 others used, at very reasonably prices.
I benefit in that my music listening area is generally where my full HT setup is and the kitchen is right behind it, so that still works well. If I had to get a secondary setup just for music, I’d probably go the Sonos route as well. I agree with your point on a sub though. That is the largest drawback of most sonos systems I see. They just do not have the bass to keep up with a set of higher end towers/bookshelves with a dedicated sub.

Reaction Score
My sound system is straight out of the 90s/00s other than a Google music device hooked in to one of the receiver inputs for streaming music from YT or wherever. Klipsch floorspeakers, a Denon receiver, and a Teac CD player. There's an Audio Technica record player as well, but you weren't asking about LPs. Sounds great. Plays basically anything I would want to listen to. You can also get a Bluetooth receiver and plug that in to listen to anything in Bluetooth. If you have an older system, it's not very difficult or expensive to modernize it a bit.
The 5.1 HT mashup I have today is also from the 80's 90's 2000's with rear speakers in the ceiling. It sounds pretty darn good plus a lot of work went into wire management etc. so not changing any time soon. But if I was starting fresh would go a whole different route.

Reaction Score
I echo the Sonos love. Surprisingly fantastic sound from smaller form factors. The best part is you can buy an initial setup and easily add to it over time. I’ve put together 2/3 of my setup from FB Marketplace.

Btw, what’s the fascination with CDs anyway? Almost any artist and track is now available via streaming and the sound quality is still damn good with the right speakers.
I like the tangible nature of having something on hand, but prefer the sound quality of a CD to a record or streaming. Plus most of the music I listen to (90s) isn’t really on vinyl

Reaction Score
I have 2 Play 5 speakers which give off great sound. Other posters refer to the Play1 which is not as powerful but still highly rated. One is in my basement/gym, and the other in the main level living room. Each is more than enough for me.

I see Sonos has home theater options for a Sub or Soundbar which should greatly enhance the listening experience.

Reaction Score
Have owned many sound systems in my many years, built new house which was completed in October 2020, bought the Sonos ARC, Sub and two One(s), even at my advanced age was able to correctly set up and balance the system, the sound is very extremely high quality, since I have behaved the last 12 months will probably receive another speaker or 2 for Christmas for the lanai and pool area, Sonos would be a great 'cant miss' choice.

Reaction Score
Go have a look around on Crutchfield's site. They offer a fair amount of gear and have good buying guides. You sound like you're new to this, so, if you don't just go Sonos, look at the Crutchfield buying guides to get an idea what you're getting into. If you do go components, I recommend a decent A/V receiver (Denon, Onkyo, NAD) and a Blu ray player (it'll also play CDs). The Blu ray player should support at least 4k video. It doesn't need to be top-of-the-line though. The A/V receiver will do the important digital-to-analog conversion step for your music CDs.

As for speakers, you have to go listen to some to see what kind of sound you like. Bring a CD of your own that you know really well and has a wide range of audio on it. I like something with some piano passages and/or acoustic guitar and clear vocals that aren't buried in the mix. Then, A-B compare two sets of speakers at a time. Most of the staff in the Magnolia section of your local Best Buy will let you do this. If you've picked your receiver already, tell the salesperson so you can use something similar for your speaker auditions. Be sure to move around the room to see how the speakers reproduce stereo/surround in different spots. They'll all do well when you're midway between them. Speakers have different levels of efficiency in turning electrical signals into sound. Be careful not to just pick the ones that are louder. But, if you like loud and aren't spending pretty big on the receiver (>$1k), more efficient (louder) may be important.

Spend about 10% of your budget on the Blu ray player, 30-35% on the receiver, and 55-60% on the speakers. If you're buying speakers (and subwoofer) for a 5.1 setup, the split is more like 5%/20%/75%. Good luck and have fun!

Reaction Score
I set up my EV Evolve 30M in the living room last weekend. The kids loved it and it sounded phenomenal. Probably a little overkill.

Reaction Score
Go have a look around on Crutchfield's site. They offer a fair amount of gear and have good buying guides. You sound like you're new to this, so, if you don't just go Sonos, look at the Crutchfield buying guides to get an idea what you're getting into. If you do go components, I recommend a decent A/V receiver (Denon, Onkyo, NAD) and a Blu ray player (it'll also play CDs). The Blu ray player should support at least 4k video. It doesn't need to be top-of-the-line though. The A/V receiver will do the important digital-to-analog conversion step for your music CDs.

As for speakers, you have to go listen to some to see what kind of sound you like. Bring a CD of your own that you know really well and has a wide range of audio on it. I like something with some piano passages and/or acoustic guitar and clear vocals that aren't buried in the mix. Then, A-B compare two sets of speakers at a time. Most of the staff in the Magnolia section of your local Best Buy will let you do this. If you've picked your receiver already, tell the salesperson so you can use something similar for your speaker auditions. Be sure to move around the room to see how the speakers reproduce stereo/surround in different spots. They'll all do well when you're midway between them. Speakers have different levels of efficiency in turning electrical signals into sound. Be careful not to just pick the ones that are louder. But, if you like loud and aren't spending pretty big on the receiver (>$1k), more efficient (louder) may be important.

Spend about 10% of your budget on the Blu ray player, 30-35% on the receiver, and 55-60% on the speakers. If you're buying speakers (and subwoofer) for a 5.1 setup, the split is more like 5%/20%/75%. Good luck and have fun!
Incredibly helpful - thanks so much

Reaction Score
Following this.. I bought a wireless turntable last year and would love a better Bluetooth speaker setup than I have.
My wife got me this two years ago and it's my favorite birthday present ever.

I mostly use it to practice bass along w/ songs from my phone, but it also works great for a bluetooth adaptor I have for my turntable. I'm not a picky audiophile, but I'm a music lover with keen ears and I'm super happy w/ the quality for the price point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom