Best player on this team is Donovan clingan | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best player on this team is Donovan clingan

Reaction Score
When you say last game you're talking about St John's right? Because what I posted is exactly what happened
I didn’t see the St John’s game yet, it was the last game I saw (sorry), must have of been the Marquette game. In any event it was about 5 or 6 minutes into the game, score was going back and forth, but we built a 12 point lead when Clingan came in, after Clingan sat the lead evaporated and it was tied at halftime.

Reaction Score
..... definetly not our best player. If he is were in serious trouble. I think he's got MAJOR potential. Misses so many layups. No idea why he doesn't just go up hard and tries wild layups. No where near conditioned enough to do 30 minutes a game. So how can you have your best player not even playing 3/4 of a game? There's ya answer you can't. Look at Edey he's a beast and doesn't get winded. Donovan will get there but takes time. Edey can hit the top of the key shot consistently

Reaction Score
..... definetly not our best player. If he is were in serious trouble. I think he's got MAJOR potential. Misses so many layups. No idea why he doesn't just go up hard and tries wild layups. No where near conditioned enough to do 30 minutes a game. So how can you have your best player not even playing 3/4 of a game? There's ya answer you can't. Look at Edey he's a beast and doesn't get winded. Donovan will get there but takes time. Edey can hit the top of the key shot consistently
Who is our best player then and please don't say Sanogo?

Reaction Score
I think we all would agree that DC came in understanding that this was Sanogo's year. He can be ecstatic about how he's playing and thinks he deserves more minutes....but there is ZERO chance (imo) he's soured about playing time.

He understands the vision very well
DC is the future and hope he has the courage to see the dream realized.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Donovan has to start and play as many minutes as he can handle. We're clearly a better team when he's I think the game. He has to do a better job of staying out of foul trouble but that will come with experience. Sanogo should move into the backup role and only play 10-15 minutes at most.

Reaction Score
Donovan has to start and play as many minutes as he can handle. We're clearly a better team when he's I think the game. He has to do a better job of staying out of foul trouble but that will come with experience. Sanogo should move into the backup role and only play 10-15 minutes at most.
That would be a major slap in Sanogo's face and one Hurley is unlikely to do but do many here want that that? What's happening now is not working.

Reaction Score
No. It’s not about benching Adama
It’s about playing a little differently and using both players for as long as as they can go. I think the game is over and we win if we utilize clingan I. The middle on last play ,

Reaction Score
No. It’s not about benching Adama
It’s about playing a little differently and using both players for as long as as they can go. I think the game is over and we win if we utilize clingan I. The middle on last play ,
Well said

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Or it could just be that we are not very good regardless what or who we play. Just another version of a mediocre team who for some reason played out their a** for the first few months. I don’t see this as a correctable issue. They are who they are .

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who is our best player then and please don't say Sanogo?
It's Sanogo, and he's a lot better than Clingan. Hawkins could be, but he seems to lack something. Sanogo was the best player vs Seton Hall and there wasn't a close 2nd really. Doesn't mean he was anywhere near as good as he should be, but that's where we are. Newton and Hawk were the next best players last night. Beyond that, it was pretty bad. Clingan was not good on either end. Karaban was good on one end and horribly bad on the other (rebounding especially). Diarra wasn't good. Alleyne was invisible.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a player more overrated by our fans than Clingan. I think he has a nice future, but people ignore his limitations. Maybe because he's a local kid with an intriguing story.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It's Sanogo, and he's a lot better than Clingan. Hawkins could be, but he seems to lack something. Sanogo was the best player vs Seton Hall and there wasn't a close 2nd really. Doesn't mean he was anywhere near as good as he should be, but that's where we are. Newton and Hawk were the next best players last night. Beyond that, it was pretty bad. Clingan was not good on either end. Karaban was good on one end and horribly bad on the other (rebounding especially). Diarra wasn't good. Alleyne was invisible.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a player more overrated by our fans than Clingan. I think he has a nice future, but people ignore his limitations. Maybe because he's a local kid with an intriguing story.

It's kind of tough for Clingan to shine the way he's being played. He has 3x more blocks, the same number of rebounds in 1/2 the min, same number of pts per min with a 70% FG avg.

Reaction Score
Question for the "play the two bigs together" guys: If you play them together who plays the 5 when they are on the bench getting a rest? Or so you mean just have them overlap a little? Foul trouble?
If he ever gets to play, and if he has any type of decent game to offer after his injury layoff, maybe Samson for spot minutes at the 5?

I know he looks thin , but has length and athleticism.

We'll have to see where he plays and how he plays when he gets back (hopefully soon.)

Reaction Score

This is a truly bizarre opinion. What makes Sanogo "a lot" better than Clingan? Clearly Sanogo's ability to create his own scoring opportunity is much better than Clingan's, but that seems to be his only inarguable advantage. I think reasonable people can disagree as to which player is "better," but to act like anyone who thinks Clingan is better (or at least rejects that Sanogo is better) is crazy, is, well, crazy.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's kind of tough for Clingan to shine the way he's being played. He has 3x more blocks, the same number of rebounds in 1/2 the min, same number of pts per min with a 70% FG avg.
I know. But the fans don't seem to realize that he's being played this way because he's completely incapable of defending a lot of the bigs in this league. It's obvious if you watch the substitution patterns, with the exception of Sanogo foul situations, they are based on who he has to guard. The other team puts a mobile 5 who can shoot out there, and Clingan comes out. Even when he's playing well.

Could Hurley do something to minimize that situation? He could. I think he has tried with half measures, and the result has been that the whole team defense is screwed up. I like Donovan a lot, but if he wasn't a local kid, we wouldn't have recruited him. He'd fit better at Iowa or a similar program. Look at next year's new center...could they be more different? Hurley has a decision to make here. Donovan can be an impact player, but UConn has to fundamentally change the way it plays for that to happen.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I know. But the fans don't seem to realize that he's being played this way because he's completely incapable of defending a lot of the bigs in this league.

Based on what? How many minutes has he had against "the bigs in this league?"

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Based on what?
Footspeed mostly, he's probably the slowest UConn center since Mark Suhr, maybe Carlton. Just watch the substitution patterns. He plays limited minutes against any mobile big with an outside shot, unless Adama has to come out. The moment that guy goes to the bench they sub DC in. Then he comes back out when the other team subs their guy back, and the guys in the chat scream "why are they taking him out". I'm not arguing whether it should be that way, just that it is what the staff has been doing.

Reaction Score

Last night, Sanogo's +/- was -12 in 29 minutes, by far the worst on the team. Clingan's was +11, by far the BEST on the team and only played 11 minutes. I know he was in foul trouble, but the 11 minute part is still coaching malpractice.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Footspeed mostly, he's probably the slowest UConn center since Mark Suhr, maybe Carlton. Just watch the substitution patterns. He plays limited minutes against any mobile big with an outside shot, unless Adama has to come out. The moment that guy goes to the bench they sub DC in. Then he comes back out when the other team subs their guy back, and the guys in the chat scream "why are they taking him out". I'm not arguing whether it should be that way, just that it is what the staff has been doing.

When was involved in tennis I was a USTA verifier. The job was to rate a player from 1 to 7 (usually 2.5 to 5+).

When training to be a verifier we watched dozens of marchers over several hours. The players on the court had years playing in adult leagues, and had a consistently solid rating.

After a few hours we all met and compared our ratings. On most courts most verifiers had person "A" as higher than person "B," mentioning footwork, serve, winners vs errors, etc.

A fair amount of the time I was asked why I disagreed, and how I came up with my rating.

"I kept track of the score, and recorded who won and who lost."

My ratings were damn close to a perfect match to each player's rating based on a computer analysis of the several dozen matched they had played.

Ultimately the bottom line is the bottom line. I don't think Clingan has been given enough minutes to draw the same conclusions you state above.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We KNOW JC would play both guys together
Do we “KNOW” that though?

Personally, I would love to see what Calhoun would do with our guards. He had an innate ability to bring out the best in people by putting them in situations where they had the skills to succeed. I don’t know what the answer is to our guard issues, with our current personnel, but I suspect Calhoun would.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1-3-1 works when you have

Diarra
Jackson. Hawkins. Karaban
Clingan
Aren’t both of the ones typically guards in a 1-3-1?

I’ve never been a huge fan of it, except situationally, because the two “ones” burn a ton of energy in it.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Aren’t both of the ones typically guards in a 1-3-1?

I’ve never been a huge fan of it, except situationally, because the two “ones” burn a ton of energy in it.
In a press you want a big protecting the basket

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think it was Tommy Heinsolm who called it that. With an elite defensive center and shot blocker (Bill Russell), the perimeter guys guard tighter on the perimeter, when their man goes by them, they'd say "hey Bill" and he cleans it up and protects the rim. Works with Bill Russell. Worked with Emeka, Boone and others. Calhoun, huge Celtics fan that he was, used that to great effect at UConn, which is how we lead the country in blocks for like 7-8 years in a row.

The challenge today is that your center is probably going to have to go out to guard an opposing center than can shoot 3s. Rusell didn't have that problem. Emeka didn't have that problem. They could probably recover fast enough to still make it work most of the time. Embiid can, not many others. Few teams play that way today, and shot blocking is way down.

Suffice to say, UConn does not run that D. We do not expect the center to protect the rim against penetrating wings and guards. Instead, UConn's D has tried to cut off that penetration before it starts. So we have Donovan, well suited for that Hey Bill D, not well suited for what UConn has been running. My sense is that the team has to choose to change or not.

Reaction Score
This is not another lets start two bigs post.

I honestly dont care who starts--weve been getting off in games just fine.

But to win games you have to play your best players and donovan is our best.

He cannot be left on an island to set screens 20 feet from the post--this has caused him to get cheap quick fouls

But what he does best is defend the rim and put high force at the basket on offense.
Other teams who scout us are ready to pounce on adama(of course not his fault) and adama still makes a ton of great plays.

But adama doesnt defend the rim on defense anywhere close to DC and we are in defensive crisis mode.

To ensure DC gets 27-32 min--we DO have to play 2 big at points. Were not good enough not to play our best player as much as he can go. We CAN be another level team again if we CAN get those minutes from DC--they guy makes the team that much better.
Spot on and I will add go to
3-2 zone with both bigs in game.
Dribble drives will big men challenging
with offensive player in front of our defender rather than already finishing his cut this cutting down on fouls.
Hawkins is the best player on this team right now. Sanogo is the next best player. It's a big drop off after that. Clingan is tremendous in certain situations, but doesn't fit Hurley's defense at all and can't guard any of the mobile bigs in this league. The attempt to adapt to Clingan is part of why I think it has fallen apart. Hurley just isn't great at adapting his scheme to his players.
Agree with most of your post especially comment about Hurley not being able to adapt away from his scheme.
He already has pieces in place to rectify this current situation; but he must be flexible to change his scheme to make it work with the current players skill sets.
There have been many recommendations already posted that make plain common sense as to possible solutions to fix current problems.
Is Hurley capable to adapt?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think one encouraging thing that came out of yesterday was seeing Newton attack more.

If this season has any chance of turning around we have to base our offense less on Sanogo and more around Newton and Hawkins. Sanogo needs to be a complementary piece who gets his baskets off screen and rolls, offensive rebounds, and the occasional post up. Having the offense center around him helps no one including himself at this point.

Newton has to take over and be the player he was at ECU. It’d be best for everyone.

Also when Joey and DC is in the game the offense needs to be about Joey. No force feeding Clingan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom