OT: - Best Places To Get A Drink After An XL Game? | The Boneyard

OT: Best Places To Get A Drink After An XL Game?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Vaughn's, yes. Check out Pigs Eye Pub too, which is on the park, on the other side of XL. Also, if you walk all the way down Pratt, past Vaughn's, you'll come to City Steam, which has been upping their beer game considerably, has plenty of food options, and is huge, so there's plenty of room and rarely a wait for a table. It's my go-to. Vaughn's is narrow, and can get cramped before/after games...but it is a great spot. And man I'm going to miss The Federal...RIP.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Recliner, same place I watched it.
Honestly, when I attend XL Center games, Middletown is my favorite spot to stop for a drink.

It’s also my favorite spot to stop en route to a game, especially at O’Rourke’s for breakfast if it’s a midday game.

Reaction Score
Miss the old Civic Pub, JPs, Russian Lady, Challengers, Federal days.
I miss those spots too. Russian Lady, Civic Pub and Federal specifically.
The Fed was a classic city bar from another time. Russian Lady and Civic Pub were really convenient for games. I think I missed the best days of Russian Lady. Younger people went to the Brickyard, Standing Stone and Bourbon Street in my partying prime.

However, if I could have one restaurant and bar back from the 80’s/90’s, it would be Brown Thompson When that closed, downtown was forever changed in my eyes. Good food, cool clientele and great building. I think I only had a couple beers there once I was of age and they closed. For years I went with my friends or parents for burgers, steak etc. Always loved it.

Reaction Score
Loved the Fed. The tavern is a convenient place to go. And Vaughan’s is great too.
Anyone remember the Original Cafe? Vague memories from when the Whale were still here. Place got fired up after big whaler wins (not that there were many)

Reaction Score
I miss those spots too. Russian Lady, Civic Pub and Federal specifically.
The Fed was a classic city bar from another time. Russian Lady and Civic Pub were really convenient for games. I think I missed the best days of Russian Lady. Younger people went to the Brickyard, Standing Stone and Bourbon Street in my partying prime.

However, if I could have one restaurant and bar back from the 80’s/90’s, it would be Brown Thompson When that closed, downtown was forever changed in my eyes. Good food, cool clientele and great building. I think I only had a couple beers there once I was of age and they closed. For years I went with my friends or parents for burgers, steak etc. Always loved it.

Yeah good call on Brown Thompson’s as well. Didn’t they try a BT II in West Hartford by the mall. Later to be Joes American Bar & Grill?

Reaction Score
Yeah good call on Brown Thompson’s as well. Didn’t they try a BT II in West Hartford by the mall. Later to be Joes American Bar & Grill?
I think that's right. Joe's was very good, then quality slid and that was gone too.

Reaction Score
BTII across from Westfarms wasn't especially great. I did like Joe's!

Reaction Score
Miss the old Civic Pub, JPs, Russian Lady, Challengers, Federal days.
I've been to all those but was surprised to see Russian Lady on the list. Are you just being nostalgic or did it close like the rest? We also used to go to The Rising Sun in the Civic Center after games especially Whaler's games. We would go there and then eat at Reins Deli where I think you could get a beer as well.

More recently, (Early 2000's) we would go to Lord Jim's before games. Not that it was so great but it was close to 280 Trumbull where I worked and the bartenders knew us. They would even reserve tables for us during March Madness.

Reaction Score
I've been to all those but was surprised to see Russian Lady on the list. Are you just being nostalgic or did it close like the rest? We also used to go to The Rising Sun in the Civic Center after games especially Whaler's games. We would go there and then eat at Reins Deli where I think you could get a beer as well.

More recently, (Early 2000's) we would go to Lord Jim's before games. Not that it was so great but it was close to 280 Trumbull where I worked and the bartenders knew us. They would even reserve tables for us during March Madness.
Russian Lady still exists.

I'm a younger guy that lives downtown. If any of you geezers haven't checked out Parkville Market, it's definitely worth the short drive from XL. There's a full bar upstairs where you can bring in whatever food you decided to get from the market.

Reaction Score
Rockinghorse Cafe right next door to the Russian Lady. Outdoor patio with a view of the Capitol too for those warm early season evenings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom