OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 274 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
East Hampton has a middle school, not a junior high. Be that as it may, I'll ask my kids to compare on Friday.
circa 1977 and '78.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Apparently there's a unique style of pizza catching on south of Pgh. It's called a "red top", but it has nothing in common with similarly named Detroit pizzas. Haven't tried one. Sounds doughy and not too appealing.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Does Ted's still do pizza? There has to be something in The Village.

We had Peoples Choice, Ted's, Sgt. Peps, DaVinci, Domino's and Papa Ginos...Oh... and Ryan Refectory for the really desperate with only points until Dad could send money. What's left?

Reaction Score

We had Peoples Choice, Ted's, Sgt. Peps, DaVinci, Domino's and Papa Ginos...Oh... and Ryan Refectory for the really desperate with only points until Dad could send money. What's left?
Blaze

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Apparently there's a unique style of pizza catching on south of Pgh. It's called a "red top", but it has nothing in common with similarly named Detroit pizzas. Haven't tried one. Sounds doughy and not too appealing.

Interesting. A mom and pop joint in the panhandle of Florida has a C.O.B which they describe as famous upstate New York style. I never knew of this style nor remember hearing any friends talk about this style.
Screenshot_20230502_064735.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Wow. We had Dominoes and Gumby's. I think there was another briefly. Gumby's was the best delivery option. I don't think Ted's had pizza then, just grinders.

Reaction Score
Are there any other pizza places on campus now? Wouldnt recall it being the best pizza but was good when you were drunk and stumbling home from a night out.
Damn. Well. I'm glad I got a calzone from them last year.

Reaction Score
How long has Huskies on King Hill Road been gone? That was a favorite of Wright B residents from the Frats years ago. I haven't been on King Hill Road in 20 years or more.

Husky25

Reaction Score
How long has Huskies on King Hill Road been gone? That was a favorite of Wright B residents from the Frats years ago. I haven't been on King Hill Road in 20 years or more.

The UConn community must have been threatened with something unspeakable in the aughts.

Students stopped calling Northwest and North Frats and The Jungle, respectively cold turkey about two decade ago. Current students have no idea what or where pre-2000s students are talking about when those dorms are referenced in that manner.

Does Hawley Armory still exist? Is there a rack or iron maiden or something that the Administration threatened them with?

She wasn't president until 2011, but I blame Herbst.

Reaction Score
Interesting. A mom and pop joint in the panhandle of Florida has a C.O.B which they describe as famous upstate New York style. I never knew of this style nor remember hearing any friends talk about this style. View attachment 87946
That’s a “Utica Style” pie, otherwise known as an upside down pizza or tomato pie (different than the south Jersey tomato pie). I’ve had a few examples of the style in the Utica area. Some are circular, many are made rectangular in a thicker pan style, and many are served at room temp. Cheese on the bottom, chunky tomato sauce and pecorino on top. It’s solid when made well.

Reaction Score
East Hampton actually has a pretty solid pizza spot in Rossini's. My favorite (excluding Pepe's locations) in greater Hartford at this point

Rossini's is excellent... And my daughter says the East Hampton school pizza is outstanding.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Rossini's is excellent... And my daughter says the East Hampton school pizza is outstanding.
May not be next year. The Town Council basically rubber stamped a $800,000 cut made by the BoF to the education budget, though it looks like they are going to sacrifice some teachers to maintain the pizza quality.

Reaction Score
I’ll add to the ooni conversation that it works best with dry ingredients; heavy, moisture filled toppings like fresh tomatoes, ricotta, etc just don’t do great and make even cooking and removal a pain
cornmeal and an old wooden peel.

Reaction Score
The UConn community must have been threatened with something unspeakable in the aughts.

Students stopped calling Northwest and North Frats and The Jungle, respectively cold turkey about two decade ago. Current students have no idea what or where pre-2000s students are talking about when those dorms are referenced in that manner.

Does Hawley Armory still exist? Is there a rack or iron maiden or something that the Administration threatened them with?

She wasn't president until 2011, but I blame Herbst.
But what happened to Huskies on King Hill Road?

Even Wright B is gone. I believe that is the site of a shared dining hall now for the area formerly known as "The Frats".

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That’s a “Utica Style” pie, otherwise known as an upside down pizza or tomato pie (different than the south Jersey tomato pie). I’ve had a few examples of the style in the Utica area. Some are circular, many are made rectangular in a thicker pan style, and many are served at room temp. Cheese on the bottom, chunky tomato sauce and pecorino on top. It’s solid when made well.

Well that answers that. Part of me always wanted to ask what part of upstate they were referring to since "upstate" has about a hundred different definitions to New Yorkers.

Husky25

Reaction Score
But what happened to Huskies on King Hill Road?

Even Wright B is gone. I believe that is the site of a shared dining hall now for the area formerly known as "The Frats".
Huskies appears to have moved to where The Civic Pub used to be, I think they tore the old Huskies building down not too long ago.

Husky25

Reaction Score
New England. We were neighbors, county-wise.
I'd not seen a round pizza cut in squares until I moved to Connecticut. Even the large Greek House of Pizza style pizzas in Massachusetts were cut pie shaped.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom