OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 235 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Hahahaha awesome man yeah I too was expecting to watch our huskies last night but instead we were treated to more Providence tears which entertaining as well.

Im in awe of your dough process for of two reasons. 1. Salt and yeast don't like each other and you add the yeast in with the salt without any sort of buffer. 2. You refrigerate only for an hour or two and then use? How do you get the the airy bubbly crust? The temperature in your fridge should severely slow down the rising process which should then prohibit the nice and bubbly dough after only an hour or two.

I should have been clear and I apologize that I wasn't but that is my process for my 48hr cold ferment dough. So after I knead the dough and portion them out I stick them in the fridge for 48 hours and then use them. Also hydration plays a big role in the crust. Its crazy how 4-6 ingredients (i usually don't put oil or sugar) can produce such different results. I'll have to try your method out one day! Would love to see what others do as well
'You refrigerate only for an hour or two and then use? How do you get the the airy bubbly crust?'
i too was unclear in my description. i should have said that overnight in the fridge brings best result, tho you can have pretty good results just leaving it there for an hour or two, then punching it down, and leaving it out at room temp for an hour or so. my bad.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
CPTV (Ct Public Television) is showing Pizza A Love Story now and a number of times over the next six plus days. This is a documentary on the Holy Trinity (Pepe's, Sally's, Modern) and well worth the watch. I saw it's initial release (almost exactly) two years ago in a theater in New Haven (covid put an end to that) and recommend this to anyone who enjoys history, the background on how city's populations developed through migration/immigration and/or pizza.

Reaction Score
grew up in nw haven
all restaurants have coal ovens, you gotta find them. bar pizza is still great. the idiot from boston doesn't know anything about real pizza.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
grew up in nw haven
all restaurants have coal ovens, you gotta find them. bar pizza is still great. the idiot from boston doesn't know anything about real pizza.
Among the reasons we are so blessed here. Our 'B' list pizza joints are far better than most could ever find anywhere else.

I've said for decades that I can from New Haven to northern NJ and find at least 20 small, family run pizza places that make a great pie. It may not quite be at Pepe/Sally/Modern level but will be closer than many alleged great places from elsewhere.

The heavy (southern)Italian-American population, the understanding of the benefits of quality ingredients and the simplicity of making a basic pie has a lot to do with it.

Reaction Score
grew up in nw haven
If you take a step back you will realize that "idiot from Boston" has had more great pizzas than anyone alive AND he is profiting substantially from his tasty endeavor. I applaud the guy and his success.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Among the reasons we are so blessed here. Our 'B' list pizza joints are far better than most could ever find anywhere else.

I've said for decades that I can from New Haven to northern NJ and find at least 20 small, family run pizza places that make a great pie. It may not quite be at Pepe/Sally/Modern level but will be closer than many alleged great places from elsewhere.

The heavy (southern)Italian-American population, the understanding of the benefits of quality ingredients and the simplicity of making a basic pie has a lot to do with it.
I've thought this for a long time but never put it into words like you did here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
grew up in nw haven
My wife makes her own South Shore bar pizza now. Makes her own sauce, dough, and bought special pans for it. Comes out great I must say. Perhaps because she is from the South Shore.

I'm going to call out what I call the fake Neapolitan style. Had this recently. Restaurant tries to be fancy and makes a pie with too little sauce, not much cheese and it's like an imitation of the real thing. That is the worst pizza imaginable. Bland, tasteless. Had one recently. I'd eat "house of" Greek style over that anytime. Papa Ginos crushes those pies.

I think Dave P knows pizza fairly well, even if he doesn't share the biases of the folks here. Lots of pizza can be good. There is a place at Patriot Place that does Roman sheet style pizza, and damned if it isn't good. Very unlike NH style. Perhaps a bit like what I've seen as Detroit style (though I've never had that).

Reaction Score
grew up in nw haven
Well he did call New Haven the "Pizza Capital of the World." So he does know something about pizza. :)

Starting about 0:35 of this video you can hear him say it.

Reaction Score
Well he did call New Haven the "Pizza Capital of the World." So he does know something about pizza. :)

Starting about 0:35 of this video you can hear him say it.

And the truth shall set you free....

Reaction Score
Well, Stamford already had way too many perfectly enjoyable, yet completely forgettable pizza places before Sally’s came to town… and I’ve really enjoyed Sally’s, although it’s not the same as Wooster St. But based on my experiences at other Frank Pepe satellite locations, I’m a bit more skeptical of this one…

Reaction Score
Pony up boys... Grand Apizza for sale: 111 Grand Avenue - New Haven, CT 06513 - MLS #170469122 | Alicia Mahon

"111 Grand Avenue is an iconic Apizza restaurant and one of the 1st to serve New Haven Style Apizza. Grand Apizza has been serving the community for New Haven since 1955. This long standing business as been extremely lucrative over the years. The stand alone building has recently been completely remodeled which makes for a seamless transition to new owners. New roof, flooring, bathrooms, windows paved driveway with 25+ parking spots is perfect to keep up with busy nights. ++ Selling willing to hold financing ++ Please note that the business and building are being sold as a package."

Reaction Score
Pony up boys... Grand Apizza for sale: 111 Grand Avenue - New Haven, CT 06513 - MLS #170469122 | Alicia Mahon

"Grand Apizza has been serving the community of New Haven since 1955. This long standing business as been extremely lucrative over the years. The stand alone building has recently been completely updated. New flooring in the dining room, 2 updated bathrooms, exterior recently painted with new windows and the parking lot has just been paved. There is additional dry storage space(325 sq/ft) in the basement that is perfect to prepping for the busy nights. Looking to own a piece of history? This is it!

++ Selling willing to hold financing ++ Please note that the business and building are being sold as a package."
Didn't @Deepster at one point want us to buy a pizza place? Start the GoFundMe.

Reaction Score
Didn't @Deepster at one point want us to buy a pizza place? Start the GoFundMe.
Someone forwarded me an opportunity to get in on a slice shop in the Times Square area. I thought it would be a fun Yard experiment. It clearly never went anywhere. I had no vested interest in it outside of this thread.

Reaction Score
grew up in nw haven
which idiot in Boston? there's a lot of them. leading the way are Tony Mazarotti and Dan Shaughnessy.

Reaction Score
the best pizza is angelo's philly

there's a good one in manhattan midtown too

Reaction Score
If you take a step back you will realize that "idiot from Boston" has had more great pizzas than anyone alive AND he is profiting substantially from his tasty endeavor. I applaud the guy and his success.
his scale is foolish. No solid numbers? and Bar a 7.5? Sauce in lower east side Manhattan that he gave a 9+ is trash. He thinks brick oven crisp is the gold standard, nothing wrong with that of course

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ignazio's is opening up a 64 seat place in Mystic next to the Sea Swirl and Nana's Pizza and Bakery. So Brooklyn, Westport and Mystic.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Good read. I am now regretting never having been to Di Fara:

One Pizza at a Time, He Defined the New York Slice
You've been to a lot of places I haven't. He was s-l-o-w and methodical; the line grew while I waited. The slice was an enjoyable capper to the theater...then back on my bicycle.

"Scenes from an Italian Restaurant"
Screenshot_20220319-214359.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom