OT: - Best Pizza award | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza award

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
An Italian group selected the top 50 pizza joints in the USA. New York, Chicago, and San Francisco were the most prolific places. In don't see any Connecticut shops, but I know that many here have a favorite local place in mind.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
An Italian group selected the top 50 pizza joints in the USA. New York, Chicago, and San Francisco were the most prolific places. In don't see any Connecticut shops, but I know that many here have a favorite local place in mind.

Ostensibly a ranking of restaurants not pizzas. Seems a little sketchy to me.

Our ranking is the result of the hard work of the 50 Top Pizza inspectors who, for an entire year, examined an enormous number of pizzerias located throughout the country. Their visits were always anonymous in nature, as is the policy of our guide. The first factor that was assessed was the quality of the dough and the ingredients used for the toppings. The service, the wine and beer selections, and, in general, the attention given to the customer were also all taken into consideration. In cases where it was not possible to visit the venue because of the current health emergency, the delivery service was assessed, also in this case under the guise of anonymity.

So, we are to believe that they under took a year-long test test during Covid? But when they couldn’t sample inside they got takeout? so they were evaluating sit down versus take out?

Also the word Neapolitan appears in all of their top six, which makes me wonder if there taste testing was really just the scanning of names.

Plus, I live in New Jersey. New Jersey pizza is way, way worse than Connecticut pizza, and it’s not even close.

Reaction Score
When I was young we used to go to Riverside Park in Agawam, MA, which I just looked up and found out is Six Flags New England now. There was a pizza place there that we always ate at. I don't know what their recipe was but it had a special tang to it that I've always remembered. Maybe they overloaded on some spice that I'm not qualified to identify. Now that it's six flags I'm sure the pizza place is long gone and replaced by some bland corporate Dominoish version of what they call pizza. But that pizza from long ago is what I always judge pizza against.

Reaction Score
Villa Pizza, in Westfield Brandon Mall in Florida, is as close to NY pizza as it gets.

Reaction Score
They just decided what cities they wanted to see in America and picked their favorite pizza places there. Maybe got a tax break to travel. Not a worthwhile list.

Reaction Score
Not a single Connecticut Pizza place on this "Neapolitan" top 50 list is simply....

Lawyer GIF by memecandy
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Reaction Score
The best pizza in Connecticut is made at Pizza Post on the Post Road (East Putnam Avenue) in Greenwich. I had Frank Pepe's pizza in New Haven recently (twice), and hands down, Pizza Post is vastly better. No comparison. Made by a family of Italian immigrants with three generations making pizza and running the restaurant, Pizza Post is the best.

(Full disclosure- I've been eating their pizza for nearly a quarter century. Great food!)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Gotta go with Slice by Tony adjacent to UNC-Greensboro. Since they are located basically on-campus, they get alot of students plus regular folk like me. There are always quite a few pizzas available by the slice. Plus they are very customer friendly and willing to customize a pizza. Where else in town can you get a pizza with half covered in garlic, meatballs, and ricotta cheese, and the other half with smoked mozzerella, nathan's hot dogs, and french fries. Oh yeah.... he's been known to give me free lemon zeppoles, garlic knots, and or italian donuts. If ever in Greensboro.... check them out. NOW 2 LOCATIONS! Order delivery or pickup from Slices By Tony in Greensboro! View Slices By Tony's January 2021 deals and menus. Support your local restaurants.

giphy.gif

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
To each, his own: if you asked 1 million Americans for their favorite pizza, I'm sure you would get at least 900,000 different answers.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Gotta go with Slice by Tony adjacent to UNC-Greensboro. Since they are located basically on-campus, they get alot of students plus regular folk like me. There are always quite a few pizzas available by the slice. Plus they are very customer friendly and willing to customize a pizza. Where else in town can you get a pizza with half covered in garlic, meatballs, and ricotta cheese, and the other half with smoked mozzerella, nathan's hot dogs, and french fries. Oh yeah.... he's been known to give me free lemon zeppoles, garlic knots, and or italian donuts. If ever in Greensboro.... check them out. NOW 2 LOCATIONS! Order delivery or pickup from Slices By Tony in Greensboro! View Slices By Tony's January 2021 deals and menus. Support your local restaurants.

giphy.gif
No offense, but if you haven't tried Ribalta's here in NYC then you've missed the very best. The one and only.

Reaction Score
I just had pizza from somewhere. It's hot as hades...and it was the BEST. lol

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Plus, I live in New Jersey. New Jersey pizza is way, way worse than Connecticut pizza, and it’s not even close.
I was gonna say something similar. Any list that has a Maryland pizzeria in the list and none from Connecticut can't be taken seriously. I live 10 miles from the one listed in Maryland and work two miles from it, and I've never heard of it.

There also weren't any listed in Hawaii, which has lots of great pizza places. Many of those are run by expat northeasterners.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was gonna say something similar. Any list that has a Maryland pizzeria in the list and none from Connecticut can't be taken seriously. I live 10 miles from the one listed in Maryland and work two miles from it, and I've never heard of it.

There also weren't any listed in Hawaii, which has lots of great pizza places. Many of those are run by expat northeasterners.
Actually there was one Hawaii one, IIRC.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just ate at #7, Keste Fulton. It was incredible. I had the Margherita with (lots of ) Mushrooms and Prosciutto.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

I'm surprised to see that San Diego landed even one (No. 46) pizza joint on the list. I love it here but, sorry, cilantro, artichokes, grapes, avocado, sliced apple, chicory, pears, salmon, walnuts, carrots, pumpkin, Brie, and zucchini do not belong on a pizza.

Reaction Score
When I lived in West Hartford I frequented a couple of pizza joints, Luna and Harry's, and both were good. My job had a territory that included all of CT and Wester MA so I was able to try most of the pizza places that were well known and many, many that weren't. Yes, the quality of pies to be had in New Haven is pretty amazing, but I never had a pizza that was just clearly better than all others.

I was on a job in a smallish town, Monsoon I think, and there was a tiny one woman pizza place across the street. Her topping were the usual suspects, nothing out of the ordinary. Her crusts were absolutely out of the ordinary - fabulous in texture and taste. Just the perfect crispiness outside, tender and not soggy inside. Not overly sweet with the tang of yeast and salt perfectly balanced. I was literally astonished at how good it was. I had a long talk with her about where she learned her crust making skills (a variation on some recipes out of NYC) and even spent time watching her make her dough. She was adamant that her 30 year old dough mixer was largely responsible for how her crusts came out and that she spent months finding it, delaying her opening.

I'm pretty much convinced that great sauce and toppings can't overcome a so-so crust, while a great crust is good with almost anything you put on it.

Reaction Score
Ostensibly a ranking of restaurants not pizzas. Seems a little sketchy to me.

Our ranking is the result of the hard work of the 50 Top Pizza inspectors who, for an entire year, examined an enormous number of pizzerias located throughout the country. Their visits were always anonymous in nature, as is the policy of our guide. The first factor that was assessed was the quality of the dough and the ingredients used for the toppings. The service, the wine and beer selections, and, in general, the attention given to the customer were also all taken into consideration. In cases where it was not possible to visit the venue because of the current health emergency, the delivery service was assessed, also in this case under the guise of anonymity.

So, we are to believe that they under took a year-long test test during Covid? But when they couldn’t sample inside they got takeout? so they were evaluating sit down versus take out?

Also the word Neapolitan appears in all of their top six, which makes me wonder if there taste testing was really just the scanning of names.

yes lot's of fair to mediocre pizza here in NJ but Razza in Jersey City is fantastic.......!!!!!!!!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
There is a pizza joint on the list that is in Mt Lebanon, Pa. It is about a mile from where I lived in the next town when I was young. It was not there during my time in the Pittsburgh area, but I know people there now who swear by it. There were several good shops there years ago, but there is absolutely no good pizza in the greater Birmingham, Al vicinity. Only chain outfits that are lackluster at best. Never ate pizza in New York, or Ct, or Ca. so I cannot compare personally. If I get back to Pittsburgh, I will try the Mt Lebanon place.

Reaction Score

I've been here 20 years and Hawaii pizza is not so good. The best pizza here by far is in my freezer, shipped from Zuppardi's in West Haven.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've been here 20 years and Hawaii pizza is not so good. The best pizza here by far is in my freezer, shipped from Zuppardi's in West Haven.

Yeah, I don't live there, so just the fact that I'm in paradise, and the beer is truly exceptional, may affect my judgment. That said, I had some true brick oven pizza in Volcano that was as good as just about anything in the Pizza Triangle in Connecticut. I also had a great kalua pig pie in a little town in the middle of the Big Island.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom