Best individual season ever by a player? | The Boneyard

Best individual season ever by a player?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Clark has led Iowa back to the Final Four while averaging 32 points, 9 assists and 7+ rebounds on 46/38/86 shooting splits. They won a Big Ten Tournament Championship in dramatic fashion, earned a #1 seed entering the tournament and ousted the defending champs en route to the Final Four, with Clark putting up 41 points and 12 assists in that game. She's broken almost every conceivable record and has a good shot to break the all time NCAA tournament scoring record as well.

Is it the best individual season of all time? I personally am leaning toward yes--we've never seen anyone with this level of production and team success before, but I thought I'd bring up some other contenders of players who had unbelievable individual seasons in past years and start a discussion on where this season ranks all time compared to some of the greats.

2022-23 Caitlin Clark. You could make a case for this one too, highlighted by her 41 triple double in the Elite 8 and her 41 point outburst in Iowa's upset of undefeated South Carolina. Clark averaged 27.8/7.1/8.6 on 47/39/84 shooting splits. Iowa's first Final Four in 30 years, another Big Ten Tournament championship in which she put up a 30 point triple double, and the upset of Indiana featured one of the best buzzer beaters in women's basketball history. Clark swept every major POY award.

2019-20 Sabrina Ionescu. She put up 17.5 points, 9.1 assists and 8.6 rebounds per game on 51/39/92 shooting splits. Oregon was the class of women's basketball that year and considered by many as the favorite entering the NCAA tournament, only for it to be halted by Covid. Sabrina swept every major POY award.

2016-17 Kelsey Plum. She's come the closest to matching Clark's level of production from a statistical perspective. She put up 31.7 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.8 assists with ridiculous shooting splits of 53/43/89. Washington was consistently in the top 10 or top 15 all season, earned a 3 seed in the NCAA tournament and made it to the Sweet 16. Plum swept every major POY award.

2015-16 Breanna Stewart. Stewie as a senior was next level dominant on both ends. She had great stats of 19.4 points, 8.7 rebounds, 4 assists, 3.4 blocks, 1.8 steals and just 1.6 turnovers on 58/43/84 shooting splits. Doesn't get more efficient than that. Her best games were consistently against the best competition too. Connecticut put together arguably the most dominant season in NCAA history, going 38-0. Stewart swept every major award and was MOP for the 4th time.

2011-12 Brittney Griner. BG was the most imposing force women's basketball has ever seen. Her junior season she led Baylor to a 40-0 championship while producing 23.2 points, 9.5 rebounds, 5.2 blocks and shot 60.9% from the field. BG swept every major award and was MOP in the NCAA tournament.

2002-03 Diana Taurasi. After graduating 4 of the top 6 WNBA draft picks, Taurasi led a young group of UCONN players to a 37-1 season that culminated in a National Championship. Her stats are somewhat pedestrian compared to the competition here (18 points, 6 rebounds, 4.4 assists on 47/35/81 shooting splits), but she consistently had her best games against the best teams, had 2 legendary buzzer beaters vs Tennessee and dominated the Final Four. She also swept every POY award and earned MOP.

1997-98 Chamique Holdsclaw. Holdsclaw led a young Tennessee team to a perfect 39-0 season while putting up 23.5 points, 8.4 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 2.8 steals on 54.6% FG efficiency. Like many others, she often had her best games against the best teams and was able to lead a young roster through the tournament unblemished. Holdsclaw swept every major award besides the Wade Trophy (which has a history of making some odd picks) and earned MOP in the Final Four.

1992-93 Sheryl Swoopes. Her college career is often overlooked due to her only played 2 years of D1 basketball, but her 1993 season was next level. Sheryl averaged 28.1 points, 9.2 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 3.4 steals on 54.6/41.0/86.8 shooting splits. She carried an unheralded Texas Tech team to it's first championship, scoring 47 points against Ohio State. Swoopes also swept every major award besides the Wade Trophy (another odd ball pick) and earned MOP in the Final Four.

1985-86 Cheryl Miller. Cheryl carried USC to the title game where they eventually lost to undefeated Texas. Miller on the year put up 25.4 points, 12.2 rebounds, 4.0 steals, 2.9 assists and 2.5 blocks on 60.7% FG. This was before my time but the legend of Cheryl Miller still holds strong today almost 40 years later. A strong case can be made for her 1983-84 season where numbers are similar but slightly less, but her team won the championship that year. I believe Miller swept POY awards in 1986 aside from the Wade Trophy in another oddball pick.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Clark has led Iowa back to the Final Four while averaging 32 points, 9 assists and 7+ rebounds on 46/38/86 shooting splits. They won a Big Ten Tournament Championship in dramatic fashion, earned a #1 seed entering the tournament and ousted the defending champs en route to the Final Four, with Clark putting up 41 points and 12 assists in that game. She's broken almost every conceivable record and has a good shot to break the all time NCAA tournament scoring record as well.

Is it the best individual season of all time? I personally am leaning toward yes--we've never seen anyone with this level of production and team success before, but I thought I'd bring up some other contenders of players who had unbelievable individual seasons in past years and start a discussion on where this season ranks all time compared to some of the greats.

2022-23 Caitlin Clark. You could make a case for this one too, highlighted by her 41 triple double in the Elite 8 and her 41 point outburst in Iowa's upset of undefeated South Carolina. Clark averaged 27.8/7.1/8.6 on 47/39/84 shooting splits. Iowa's first Final Four in 30 years, another Big Ten Tournament championship in which she put up a 30 point triple double, and the upset of Indiana featured one of the best buzzer beaters in women's basketball history. Clark swept every major POY award.

2019-20 Sabrina Ionescu. She put up 17.5 points, 9.1 assists and 8.6 rebounds per game on 51/39/92 shooting splits. Oregon was the class of women's basketball that year and considered by many as the favorite entering the NCAA tournament, only for it to be halted by Covid. Sabrina swept every major POY award.

2016-17 Kelsey Plum. She's come the closest to matching Clark's level of production from a statistical perspective. She put up 31.7 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.8 assists with ridiculous shooting splits of 53/43/89. Washington was consistently in the top 10 or top 15 all season, earned a 3 seed in the NCAA tournament and made it to the Sweet 16. Plum swept every major POY award.

2015-16 Breanna Stewart. Stewie as a senior was next level dominant on both ends. She had great stats of 19.4 points, 8.7 rebounds, 4 assists, 3.4 blocks, 1.8 steals and just 1.6 turnovers on 58/43/84 shooting splits. Doesn't get more efficient than that. Her best games were consistently against the best competition too. Connecticut put together arguably the most dominant season in NCAA history, going 38-0. Stewart swept every major award and was MOP for the 4th time.

2011-12 Brittney Griner. BG was the most imposing force women's basketball has ever seen. Her junior season she led Baylor to a 40-0 championship while producing 23.2 points, 9.5 rebounds, 5.2 blocks and shot 60.9% from the field. BG swept every major award and was MOP in the NCAA tournament.

2002-03 Diana Taurasi. After graduating 4 of the top 6 WNBA draft picks, Taurasi led a young group of UCONN players to a 37-1 season that culminated in a National Championship. Her stats are somewhat pedestrian compared to the competition here (18 points, 6 rebounds, 4.4 assists on 47/35/81 shooting splits), but she consistently had her best games against the best teams, had 2 legendary buzzer beaters vs Tennessee and dominated the Final Four. She also swept every POY award and earned MOP.

1997-98 Chamique Holdsclaw. Holdsclaw led a young Tennessee team to a perfect 39-0 season while putting up 23.5 points, 8.4 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 2.8 steals on 54.6% FG efficiency. Like many others, she often had her best games against the best teams and was able to lead a young roster through the tournament unblemished. Holdsclaw swept every major award besides the Wade Trophy (which has a history of making some odd picks) and earned MOP in the Final Four.

1992-93 Sheryl Swoopes. Her college career is often overlooked due to her only played 2 years of D1 basketball, but her 1993 season was next level. Sheryl averaged 28.1 points, 9.2 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 3.4 steals on 54.6/41.0/86.8 shooting splits. She carried an unheralded Texas Tech team to it's first championship, scoring 47 points against Ohio State. Swoopes also swept every major award besides the Wade Trophy (another odd ball pick) and earned MOP in the Final Four.

1985-86 Cheryl Miller. Cheryl carried USC to the title game where they eventually lost to undefeated Texas. Miller on the year put up 25.4 points, 12.2 rebounds, 4.0 steals, 2.9 assists and 2.5 blocks on 60.7% FG. This was before my time but the legend of Cheryl Miller still holds strong today almost 40 years later. A strong case can be made for her 1983-84 season where numbers are similar but slightly less, but her team won the championship that year. I believe Miller swept POY awards in 1986 aside from the Wade Trophy in another oddball pick.

Interesting list! Thank also for the history list. My knowledge goes back to Holdsclaw, but not really to Swoopes.

Two thoughts: (1) I would like to see Maya included on it. (2) In addition to overall greatness, some special accomplishment really sets a season apart. That could include having a perfect season (Chamique, Britney, or Stewie) or setting some major record (Caitlin).

Reaction Score
2019-20 … Oregon was the class of women's basketball that year and considered by many as the favorite entering the NCAA tournament, only for it to be halted by Covid.
Hmmm…

Attachments

• IMG_0450.jpeg
    IMG_0450.jpeg
    493.7 KB · Views: 36

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Interesting list! Thank also for the history list. My knowledge goes back to Holdsclaw, but not really to Swoopes.

Two thoughts: (1) I would like to see Maya included on it. (2) In addition to overall greatness, some special accomplishment really sets a season apart. That could include having a perfect season (Chamique, Britney, or Stewie) or setting some major record (Caitlin).
I didn’t include Maya or Parker because neither had a particular season that stood out as their best, or that holds up as strong to others on the list. Looking at full college career, both are in the GOAT conversation though.

Reaction Score
Good list tho I’m a bit borderline on plum. Great season but I feel like a phenomenal season would’ve meant pushing her team further in the NCAAs.

And speaking of that I’d put up Jackie Stiles for consideration.

Reaction Score
. . .

Miller's junior year, 1984-85, was her highest average scoring (26.8) and rebounding (15.8) season, albeit with lower efficiency. 1984-85 was also the only season where she swept all 4 POY awards (Naismith, Wade, WBCA [discontinued after WBCA absorbed the Wade in 2001] and Honda). In 1983-84, she won 2/4 POY awards (Janice Lawrence Braxton won the Wade/WBCA). In 1985-86, Miller won 2/4 POY awards (Kamie Ethridge won the Wade/Honda).

Reaction Score
Cheryl Miller was really battered during the 1985-86 season. She had had 4 stitches over her eye, a concussion, and a sprained neck. She played in the title game with a broken ring finger and her hand in a bulky bandage. So it is a wonder that she even played in many of the games, including the championship game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I didn’t include Maya or Parker because neither had a particular season that stood out as their best, or that holds up as strong to others on the list. Looking at full college career, both are in the GOAT conversation though.

Maya was the hallmark of consistency. Given that Tina won the majority of NPOY awards when Maya was a junior, I'd take Maya's sophomore year--a clean sweep of NPOY awards and a perfect season. Maya's "worst" season was better than almost everyone's best season.

Candace was great, but her college career was only 3 years. I personally wouldn't award GOAT status partially because of that.

Reaction Score
The rubric “best individual season” might suggest a stats-based judgment, and then Caitlin might be in the conversation. But this isn’t the only way to approach this, or rather it might depend on what stats you highlight, the simple or the complex. After all, their freshman year Paige edged out Caitlin for NPoY with slightly lower simple stats, which is in itself an argument for not relying too heavily on stats.

If I ask in a different way who was the MVP in the most dazzling or heroic or [insert some better adjective] way, then Stewie’s senior year or Miller’s 85-6 campaign loom largest in my imagination. They dominated in a way that was hard to miss, and did so against the toughest competition. No mere stat-stuffers those two.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom