OT: - Best individual Husky performance of all time? | The Boneyard

OT: Best individual Husky performance of all time?

Reaction Score
Slow day at the office.

I’ll go first: Kemba in Big East tourney vs Syracuse. 33 pts 12 boards 5 assists 6 steals. 50% from the field, 33% from 3 13-14 from the line. Played every minute of game including ot, Cuse guards shot 12-40 (Triche, Jardine, Waiters)

I LOVE MARCH GO DAWGS

Reaction Score
For a tournament :
Kemba in New York for the BE Tourney was beyond belief. Averaged 30 plus made clutch shot after clutch shot.
For a game :
*Donyell 40 pts vs St Johns
Guys have scored more but not against as formidably opponent.
Notable NCAA heroics in a losing cause
Ray vs UCLA in 1995 36 pts 9 reb. or Caron vs Maryland 34 pts
Toby Kinmball 28 rebounds vs St
Joes in the NCAA tournament
*Bill Corley 51 Pts vs record
For a Season:
The most unbelievable year that is beyond comprehension.
Art Quimby 1954-55
Averaged
23 pts 24 rebounds per game
. Although guys in his day were smaller he was probably a little below average in height..
He also once got 40 rebounds in a game against BU . How is that possible in the days before a shot clock.
Navav’s
138 steals in one year
Burrell’s 300+ for a career are also notable

Reaction Score
Even tho it was in a losing effort , Caron’s monster second half against Maryland in the elite 8 in I believe 2002.
Totally agree. Lucky to be at that game. Caron and Juan Dixon putting their teams on their backs in that second half in the Carrier Dome. Unforgettable game, this regional final loss didn't hurt as much as it should have since it was such a great game.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Lucky to be at that game. Caron and Juan Dixon putting their teams on their backs in that second half in the Carrier Dome. Unforgettable game, this regional final loss didn't hurt as much as it should have since it was such a great game.
I remember driving home 5 hours after that one in 2002 with my head held high knowing we gave it our best shot and just weren’t quite good enough. Very different than the drive home from DC 4 years later when we lost to Mason.

Reaction Score
I don’t know if they qualify as great games but my 2 favorite performances are the game that Ricky Moore played against Duke to win our first national championship and the combined efforts of Shabazz & Boat, 2 sub-6 footers vs the 6-6 Harrison twins of Kentucky to win our last NC. In both cases, David vs Goliath.

Reaction Score
I’ll just go Rip in the 99 final. By far the biggest game in program history at that point. 27 pts, 7 reb, 3 asst, 2 stls, 0 turnovers, 1 foul. Dominated in that game. Duke had Battier and Chris Carawell and he made them look like a joke.

Reaction Score
Kemba in the sweet 16 road game against San Diego State. He gets intentionally bumped with 9 minutes left in the game with SDSU up 4 points and the home crowd in a frenzy. Kemba proceeds to score 16 points in the final 9 minutes to give him 36 for the game. He destroys Kawhi in the superstar matchup and the Huskies move on...

Reaction Score
I don’t know if they qualify as great games but my 2 favorite performances are the game that Ricky Moore played against Duke to win our first national championship and the combined efforts of Shabazz & Boat, 2 sub-6 footers vs the 6-6 Harrison twins of Kentucky to win our last NC. In both cases, David vs Goliath.
Boat has two of the most memorable things .
1. When he turned the Kentucky kid completely around looking for him. To me UK knew they we in over they’re heads after that play.
2. His quote after we beat a top 10 Cuse team in our final BE game with them . We were banned from the BE tournament.
when he was asked what he thought about them leaving
“ they’re ( Syracuse ) are leaving the Big East with a bad taste of UConn in their mouths”

Reaction Score
For a tournament :
Kemba in New York for the BE Tourney was beyond belief. Averaged 30 plus made clutch shot after clutch shot.
For a game :
*Donyell 40 pts vs St Johns
Guys have scored more but not against as formidably opponent.
Notable NCAA heroics in a losing cause
Ray vs UCLA in 1995 36 pts 9 reb. or Caron vs Maryland 34 pts
Toby Kinmball 28 rebounds vs St
Joes in the NCAA tournament
*Bill Corley 51 Pts vs record
For a Season:
The most unbelievable year that is beyond comprehension.
Art Quimby 1954-55
Averaged
23 pts 24 rebounds per game
. Although guys in his day were smaller he was probably a little below average in height..
He also once got 40 rebounds in a game against BU . How is that possible in the days before a shot clock.
Navav’s
138 steals in one year
Burrell’s 300+ for a career are also notable

Good call on all of these. Well stated on ‘Yells 40 the Red Storm were very good then. Also Caron and Ray both did their best to keep our Huskies alive versus eventual national champs.

Reaction Score
I’ll submit two that tend to get overlooked in these convos:

Kemba’s second half against Wichita State in the 2010 Maui opener. He scored 2 in the first half … and then came back with 29 in the second half, basically playing 1 on 5, and we needed every one of them. He was absolutely unstoppable for 20 minutes of getting to the hoop at will. That was really when the rest of the nation found out we might have something special going, as we came back and took out Michigan State and Kentucky with Kemba dropping around 30 on both.

Ben Gordon dropped the smoothest 36 you will ever see on Bama in the 2004 Elite Eight. And it could have easily been a whole lot more if we weren’t up 53-29 after BG and Rashad just completely dominated the first half and the second half was basically just a countdown to the Final Four.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This one probably doesn’t belong anywhere near the top, but I want to recognize my main man, Chris Smith, for his 37-point effort against St. John’s at Gampel in ‘92. Great game for the Huskies. And any game which involves Scott Burrell makes me smile. He’s the nicest guy in the history of UConn basketball.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Kemba in the sweet 16 road game against San Diego State. He gets intentionally bumped with 9 minutes left in the game with SDSU up 4 points and the home crowd in a frenzy. Kemba proceeds to score 16 points in the final 9 minutes to give him 36 for the game. He destroys Kawhi in the superstar matchup and the Huskies move on...
That bump was at 1/2 time I believe.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Ricky in the first NC. Not flashy, but SO impactful, in the game, and to the program.
His first half takeover of the game at the offensive end righted what appeared to be a foundering Husky ship. We were down 9 to 2, then Ricky started taking it to the rack, and suddenly, it was a 13 to 11 game. Even more important, a key element in JC's game plan was taking the ball inside, all the way to the iron. The team had somehow forgotten it in the heat of the moment, despite JC's vocal urging and pleading from the sideline. It was Ricky who singlehandedly put the team back on the course JC had plotted for them.
moore2.jpg

And I can't forget the 5 seconds of defense on Trajan Langdon that forced the turnover that ended Duke's chances of coming back?
Oh yeah... and 8 boards. From the off-guard spot, while defending Langdon. Note too, that if the travel hadn't been called on Langdon at the end, Ricky was the one who rebounded the brick he bounced off the rim, so it would have been 9.
Many pundits pointed to Rip's "knife in the heart" three at the 2-1/2 minute mark as the decisive moment of the game, and credited it as being the deciding factor in voting for Rip as MVP. Everyone forgets that three came off Ricky's steal from Avery at the other end.

Reaction Score
Slow day at the office.

I’ll go first: Kemba in Big East tourney vs Syracuse. 33 pts 12 boards 5 assists 6 steals. 50% from the field, 33% from 3 13-14 from the line. Played every minute of game including ot, Cuse guards shot 12-40 (Triche, Jardine, Waiters)

I LOVE MARCH GO DAWGS
I’ll say Wes Bialosuknia in 1966-67, averaged 28ppg (still a UConn record) and at one point made 43 foul shots in a row. Spring 1967 he was the MVP of the annual North South College All-Star game. I believe he still holds the career ppg average as well.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
My fav performance was AJ Price vs Marquette 08’-09’ season, he destroyed Jerel McNeal, that was the same game Sticks outplayed jimmy butler as well

Love that inside out dribble and point at McNeal while he lays there helplessly. I remember arguing with Sticks about this play cause he thought it was the crossover that broke him, I had to tell him it was a nasty lefty inside out dribble. AJ confirmed for us as did the highlights. Sticks was an absolute monster down the stretch of that season. Put back dunk after put back dunk. And the scream.

But to answer the question it was Kemba in the BET taking souls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom