Best Deep Dish Pizza In Chicago? | The Boneyard

Best Deep Dish Pizza In Chicago?

Reaction Score
I'll be in Chicago this weekend. I've been to Lou Malnati's. Which is good, but I'm looking for less of a chain. Recommendations on Deep Dish Pizza in Chicago?

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
My wife and I were there last weekend and were recommended to go to Oven Grinders on the north side. It was good, waited about an hr to get in, but walked over to the zoo and walked around for a bit.

Reaction Score
Most of them are similar and good. Pequod's is different and the best. Can't go wrong with a sausage pie from Pequod's.
I like the look of Pequod's. Definitely looks authentic. Going to attempt to have lunch there on Saturday. Followed by Yankees vs White Sox. I've been to Wrigley. Never to White Sox stadium... whatever it's called.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Pequod's is great and would be my first choice. Then pizzeria Uno or Due. Touristy and crowded but excellent deep dish. Giordano's is a small chain but their pizza is true deep dish. I live in the burbs and when we want deep dish we order Lou Malnati's but it is not what I consider true Chicago deep dish. Malnati's is delicious but kind of deep dish lite. Lou's is run by the sons now and son Rick Malnati basketball played ball at my alma mater Bradley University. He was the super sub, energy off the bench guy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Most of them are similar and good. Pequod's is different and the best. Can't go wrong with a sausage pie from Pequod's.
Years ago, when Uno branched out and opened a store in CT, I had one. Didn't care for it. But I thought, "Maybe it's better in Chicago". So at some point in the late 80s I had one from Lou's. Nope. Didn't care for that either.

So, with that info in hand, next time I'm in Chicago, would you suggest I try Pequod's and give deep dish another try at the risk of missing out on a good Mexican meal, or should I just bag it?

Reaction Score
My Pi is 100 yards away from me. It's good but they only do takeout. I used to love the My Pi on Clark Street.

You live within something like 4 or 5 blocks of where my mother grew up depending on which direction you're in from My Pi. Small world.

Reaction Score
Years ago, when Uno branched out and opened a store in CT, I had one. Didn't care for it. But I thought, "Maybe it's better in Chicago". So at some point in the late 80s I had one from Lou's. Nope. Didn't care for that either.

So, with that info in hand, next time I'm in Chicago, would you suggest I try Pequod's and give deep dish another try at the risk of missing out on a good Mexican meal, or should I just bag it?

I like deep dish, it's the thin crust I don't like out here except for a couple of places. Pequod's is different than most other deep dish as it doesn't have the biscuity or buttery crust. It's much more well done and has a dark caramelized crust.

Mexican, we do it as well or better than anyone in the country.

Reaction Score
I’ve had Mexican all over the country and I think Chicago (best I’ve had) is better than what I’ve had in Arizona, Cali, Texas
Some of the best eating you can do is just pulling up a stool in one of the many small grocery stores around the city where they cook up some al pastor/barbacoa/lengua tacos for you or go to any of the birrierias.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
My Pi is 100 yards away from me. It's good but they only do takeout. I used to love the My Pi on Clark Street.
There was actually a My Pi in Norwalk in the late 1970's -early 1980's.

Previous Locations | mypipizza

Location then became Bobby Vs Norwalk (280 CT Ave aka US 1). Not a huge fan of Chicago style, but it was heads and tails a million times better than the Uno that used to be in Fairfield.

Reaction Score
Gino's East is the best of the "chains" there.

But you want the locals spot, that's Pequod's. +1 to everyone here who suggested it, it's phenomenal.

Reaction Score
Big fan of Detroit style. We don’t have a ton of options for it in CT but I had it at Joey Garlic’s recently. Hits the spot!
I have been talking their Detroit pie up for a year now. Glad you liked it.

Reaction Score
Come on - forget the casserole and go for Lem’s BBQ.
Harold's Chicken Shack in Chicago.......best fried chicken ever........even though its take out with bullet proof windows and a circular window at the counter to protect the employees

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom