Best big man | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best big man

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
the fact that Jake Voskuhl is not getting a nod is shocking!
I will state without question that no player at UConn improved more over the course of one season than freshman year Jake.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
No conversation of UConn big men is complete with mentioning Toby Kimball.

Averaged 18+ PPG and 17+ RPG over a three year career at UConn followed by a 9 year NBA career.

Scored 18 points and pulled down 14 boards in the 1964 NCAA regional final versus Duke.

Or Uncle Cliff

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
In no particular order, because I can't

Toby
Corny
Meka
Thabeet
Sanogo
Clingan
Chaz
Cliff

I don't consider Donyell a big, and I suppose AD would be on the list if he stayed more than one year

Reaction Score
I don't think you can blame the "pieces". His junior year they won the NIT and he wasn't the leader, he was just a piece of the puzzle. His senior year that team was good enough to dance but he just never came through, though he was a volume shooter. They go back to the NIT and bomb out. The next season, UConn basically just swaps out Cliff for Henefeld and it's the "Dream Season".
I think Cliff was a big part of UConn's transition from a bottom half Big East team to a national power. I respect every name that people have listed on this thread (it shows how well the program is doing), but Cliff is one of the first names I think of when the topic of great UConn big men comes up.

Reaction Score
Meka
Thabeet
Clingan

If Dyson doesn’t get hurt, we play NC in the national title game in 09 and Thabeet handles Hansbrough

Hasheem was an elite defender and a good scorer by his last season here

2x BE DPOY
BE POY
All American

He, Adrian, and Stanley deserved a shot a championship. 08-09 still bugs me

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Cliff Robinson put Uconn on the national map. He deserves more respect.
Cliff was awesome but I don't know if I would call him a center, even as a college player, and at least my interpretation views this as a center discussion.

Reaction Score
Palatine is right. You guys are dissing one of the best we ever had. You have recency bias.

Records are made to be broken. In the case of rebounds in college basketball though, the record in NCAA Tournament Games hasn’t been topped in almost 70 years.

Most Rebounds Ever in an NCAA Tournament Game. (Records still hold as of 2024)

#2 Nate Thurmond, Bowl Green 31 vs Miss St 1963
#3 Jerry Lucas, Ohio St 30 v Ky 1961
#4 Toby Kimball, UConn 29 v St Joes 1965
#5 Elvin Hayes, Houston 28 v Pacific 1966

And #1 Fred Cohen, Temple 34 v UConn 1956

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Okafor by a fair margin.

He did what Clingan did last night for two straight seasons, plus he was a hell of a defender as a freshman. He was absolutely unbelievable defensively despite being only 6'9. He made other top bigs like Sean May and Sheldon Williams look like scrubs, while averaging 18 & 12.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Agree re Emeka but I don’t agree re Hash. Call Illinois crazy for testing Clingan but by the end of his career teams weren’t even going into the lane against Thabeet. I distinctly remember playing Louisville and their guys were scared to shoot from inside 10 feet. It was like there was a force field.

Clingan’s more mobile and fluid than Thabeet but Hash was an eraser and by the end of his career an efficient scorer. I feel like his awful NBA career is making people forget how incredible he was. He went as high as he did for a reason.
Maybe I need a refresher in Thabeet games, but I don’t remember teams straight up not scoring at the rim like we’ve seen this tourney.

Love a good reason to go back and watch those games though.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Meka
Thabeet
Clingan

If Dyson doesn’t get hurt, we play NC in the national title game in 09 and Thabeet handles Hansbrough

2x BE DPOY
BE POY
All American

I wanted that Hansborough vs Adrien and Thabeet matchup so bad. 09 was really a complete team with Dyson.

Not much shooting outside of AJ, but they would lock you up defensively and run you out the gym. Fastbreaks with AJ, Kemba, Dyson, and Sticks were a blur.

Reaction Score
Meka
Thabeet
Clingan

2x BE DPOY
BE POY
All American

They ran into Izzo and Draymond Green.

Reaction Score
In no particular order, because I can't

Toby
Corny
Meka
Thabeet
Sanogo
Clingan
Chaz
Cliff

I don't consider Donyell a big, and I suppose AD would be on the list if he stayed more than one year
I here yah, but you kind of have to. He lead the Team in rebounding, clearing the next Guy by 3.4 a game. He was our Center, with Travis Knight buried on the bench playing less than Samson.

Donyell was a stretch forward by trade, but he's without a doubt one of the best "Bigs" in Uconn history--25.1 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 3.3bpg in a very competitive Big East.

Reaction Score
Okafor by a fair margin.

He did what Clingan did last night for two straight seasons, plus he was a hell of a defender as a freshman. He was absolutely unbelievable defensively despite being only 6'9. He made other top bigs like Sean May and Sheldon Williams look like scrubs, while averaging 18 & 12.
I love Clingan, but Okafor would have made Ledee look like Joel Soriano from start to finish.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Toby, Bill Corley, Chuck A., Okafor, Sonogo, Jake, DC, Donyell,

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Maybe I need a refresher in Thabeet games, but I don’t remember teams straight up not scoring at the rim like we’ve seen this tourney.

Love a good reason to go back and watch those games though.

Start with this one — should be a fun watch:

UConn emphatically ended Louisville's nine-game winning streak by dictating the pace and using Thabeet's massive 7-foot-3 wingspan to hold Louisville to a season-low point total. The junior's defensive dominance was so complete UConn coach Jim Calhoun looked surprised when he found out his center was credited with just four blocks.

"Thabeet had four blocks? Come on," Calhoun said. "It doesn't matter if he has four or 40. Just his presence in there was intimidating."

The Cardinals shot 34 percent from the floor -- including 5-of-17 3-pointers -- and rarely challenged one of the nation's leading shotblockers. Louisville shot two free throws and the Cardinals were so reticent to get in the lane that they sometimes pulled up for jumpers on the fastbreak rather than try and get to the basket.

"It's February and it's time to get better," Thabeet said. "Coach told me to control the middle and not let them get into the offense and not give up uncontested shots. After I got a couple of blocks they stopped bringing it in there."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom