Best big man | The Boneyard

Best big man

Reaction Score
OK, . Many of us go back to the days of the Field House, even some of you go back further to Hawley Armoury. 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's, and halfway into the 2020's. The big men that wore the CONNECTCIUT UNIFORM are many, and impressive. Let's hear your choices. 10 is not enough, 20 may not even be enough. Let's hear YOUR CHOICES. Have at it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Emeka is the best because of both ends.

Donovan is the most impactful defensively though. Thabeet, who won national defensive player of the year, didn’t even look like this.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yes, Emeka ended the doughnut hole mantra and started the Reign of block parties. Won a Title, too.

Reaction Score
No conversation of UConn big men is complete with mentioning Toby Kimball.

Averaged 18+ PPG and 17+ RPG over a three year career at UConn followed by a 9 year NBA career.

Scored 18 points and pulled down 14 boards in the 1964 NCAA regional final versus Duke.

Reaction Score
Emeka is clearly the best we’ve had, but after last night, DC is inching up. He should not stay if he’s in the lottery, but next year, DC may overtake the #1 spot if he were here.

Reaction Score
Cliff Robinson gets no respect
He's in my top 5. Also a big fan of toughness Rod Sellers provided in that era of Big East big men, like Mourning, Mutombo, Derrick Coleman, Robert Werdan. Sellers would not be intimadated. Even when we played Shaq. Rod was the man, he also dribbled Laetner's head off the ground which carries bonus points.

Reaction Score
No conversation of UConn big men is complete with mentioning Toby Kimball.

Averaged 18+ PPG and 17+ RPG over a three year career at UConn followed by a 9 year NBA career.

Scored 18 points and pulled down 14 boards in the 1964 NCAA regional final versus Duke.
Great player, who became a Pro, and carried Uconn farther than the Team had ever been, so i may have to reconsider Him on my list.

However, to play Devil's advocate:
  1. Uconn was 15-11 that year
  2. Lost to Duke 101-54
  3. Yankees conference consisted of: Uconn, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, UMass, and New Hampshire.
  4. Was ranked the 11th best Conference that year, 13th by winning % and last by strength of schedule.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Haha, ok feel free to place Jake Voskhul and Alex Oriakhi above my #3 and #5. Much respect...
Is UConn about winning in the big spot or putting up individual numbers?

Reaction Score
He wasn't that good in college.
I don't know. He just didn't have enough pieces around him. Willie McCloud, Murray Williams, Phil Gamble, and Tate George were the guys who started alongside him his junior year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't know. He just didn't have enough pieces around him. Willie McCloud, Murray Williams, Phil Gamble, and Tate George were the guys who started alongside him his junior year.
I don't think you can blame the "pieces". His junior year they won the NIT and he wasn't the leader, he was just a piece of the puzzle. His senior year that team was good enough to dance but he just never came through, though he was a volume shooter. They go back to the NIT and bomb out. The next season, UConn basically just swaps out Cliff for Henefeld and it's the "Dream Season".

Reaction Score
I don't think you can blame the "pieces". His junior year they won the NIT and he wasn't the leader, he was just a piece of the puzzle. His senior year that team was good enough to dance but he just never came through, though he was a volume shooter. They go back to the NIT and bomb out. The next season, UConn basically just swaps out Cliff for Henefeld and it's the "Dream Season".
Yeah, but Chris Smith was a freshman his Sr. Year, and don't discount the impact of Burrell. I do blame the pieces more than i do Cliff. He had very little help, especially down low.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nah, we're at the point now that if you didn't make the Final Four, you don't get on the list.
Well then, Tyler "Two Rings" Orlander!

Obviously Emeka is #1. We can argue the rest.

I'm wondering if Dainja went to bed last night thinking, "I wanna play for those guys next year."

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Emeka is the best because of both ends.

Donovan is the most impactful defensively though. Thabeet, who won national defensive player of the year, didn’t even look like this.

Agree re Emeka but I don’t agree re Hash. Call Illinois crazy for testing Clingan but by the end of his career teams weren’t even going into the lane against Thabeet. I distinctly remember playing Louisville and their guys were scared to shoot from inside 10 feet. It was like there was a force field.

Clingan’s more mobile and fluid than Thabeet but Hash was an eraser and by the end of his career an efficient scorer. I feel like his awful NBA career is making people forget how incredible he was. He went as high as he did for a reason.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom