Bench minutes. | The Boneyard

Bench minutes.

Reaction Score
It means those coaches are idiots. If they actually knew what they were doing, they would follow this board’s advice and let their bench players play through their mistakes to gain experience. Instead they are stupidly playing their best players as much as possible so they can maximize the number of games they win.

Reaction Score
Often times we as fans forget that coaches want job security or promotional advancement opportunities. Why risk your nice source of income on a 19 year old project or conducting in-game experiments which could cost victories?

With that said you can't win a whole lot of games without a contributing bench either.

Reaction Score
I’d say generally it proves you can develop elaborate analyses of things that don’t really lead to anything meaningful. Gosh willerkers, teams that go 8 men deep in the regular season often play fewer when it’s one and done. Imagine that. Teams play their best 5 for as long as possible in the national championship tournament!

Reaction Score
I’d say generally it proves you can develop elaborate analyses of things that don’t really lead to anything meaningful. Gosh willerkers, teams that go 8 men deep in the regular season often play fewer when it’s one and done. Imagine that. Teams play their best 5 for as long as possible in the national championship tournament!
It depends how the "bench minutes" metric is calculated. You seem to be saying that you interpret these numbers to indicate that teams in the Final 4 were not necessarily outliers in terms of bench minutes before the tournament, and then they leaned more heavily on starters in the tournament. Presumably you are implying that these 4 tournament games with reduced reliance on the bench players were enough to send these 4 teams plummeting down in the rankings for this metric.

I don't think that's the case. I understand the finding to be that teams with low reliance on bench players all season long do better in the tournament.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
During the season you should coach with a bench
During single elimination tournament you normally stick with your 6 or 7 best
Not really rocket science
This Waddell guy must have a lot of time on his hands - lucky him

Reaction Score
Except those were the rankings for the whole year.

Reaction Score
  • You can only play 5 at a time
  • Having fewer players means everyone can get comfortable in a role and not have to adjust when someone with different skills comes into the lineup

Reaction Score
I suspect the correlation flows in the opposite direction as expected.

It's not that the best coaches play less guys. It's that if you're a coach, you're more likely to want to play players a ton of minutes if those players happen to be really good. Teams with a lot of really good players win games in the tournament. The best coaches get and develop more really good guys.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
It means those coaches are idiots. If they actually knew what they were doing, they would follow this board’s advice and let their bench players play through their mistakes to gain experience. Instead they are stupidly playing their best players as much as possible so they can maximize the number of games they win.
It's crazy that people who have been doing their jobs for decades making millions per year know what they are doing and random accountants on a message board do not. It's shocking isnt it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The good news is I'm not sure we'll have enough guys to sit on the bench next year.
For the good of the team, I am willing to. I could be like one of those award show seat fillers.

Reaction Score
Often times we as fans forget that coaches want job security or promotional advancement opportunities. Why risk your nice source of income on a 19 year old project or conducting in-game experiments which could cost victories?

With that said you can't win a whole lot of games without a contributing bench either.
Lots of extra timeouts in FF play.

Reaction Score
As a coach I can say from experience, that it's much harder to coach too many players than too few. Obviously, you need a few bench guys, but it's hard finding minutes for 10 or 12 players.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

This.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's crazy that people who have been doing their jobs for decades making millions per year know what they are doing and random accountants on a message board do not. It's shocking isnt it.
You are really shoving it all into the pot on this, aren’t you? Shizzle will probably beat you with a quad of deuces on the river . :)

Kevin Ollie just got 11 million to not coach this team.

Reaction Score
The problem UConn faced this year was too few games were decided by more than 11 points, only 4, so it was hard to give extended time to bench players. I guess UConn could have lost 3 or 4 more games this year to develop the bench, but I don’t think that would have beneficial to the season.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
You are really shoving it all into the pot on this, aren’t you? Shizzle will probably beat you with a quad of deuces on the river . :)

Speaking of which, now that gambling is legal in CT, a certain bet which shall not be named is overdue.

Reaction Score
While I would intuitively agree...that's not what this data shows at all, since this data is year round, not tournament specific.

Reaction Score
The problem UConn faced this year was too few games were decided by more than 11 points, only 4, so it was hard to give extended time to bench players. I guess UConn could have lost 3 or 4 more games this year to develop the bench, but I don’t think that would have beneficial to the season.
By my count, 8 games were won by more than 11 points.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

ha. You know I'm right that the coaches who have been doing it for many decades know what they are doing. I'm not referencing the KOs of the world.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom