Bench Gibbs. Start Adams. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bench Gibbs. Start Adams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
this isn't even an argument worth having anymore, they both play together like 95% of the time. adams can play either guard slot and with the rotation recently cut ( no cassell, he is injured i guess...) theres a ton of minutes to go around.

Reaction Score
Jalen has been struggling for a few games now, not much going on there but he'll be fine. Gibbs has been fine and he kind of threw some crow into some mouths tonight, good for him (Pcktnfiels)
He had a good game against Texas but was bad against CCSU.

Reaction Score
Gibbs is better than what he has shown this last month. We just got a glimpse of what he can be tonight. He's a clutch shooter that is one of the better 3 pt shooters in the nation. With that being said, I still like Hamilton bringing the ball up. Purvis and Gibbs are both good on the wings, off the ball.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Gibbs is better than what he has shown this last month. We just got a glimpse of what he can be tonight. He's a clutch shooter that is one of the better 3 pt shooters in the nation. With that being said, I still like Hamilton bringing the ball up. Purvis and Gibbs are both good on the wings, off the ball.
Both Gibbs and Adams are better than they have shown. This can only bode well for us when both of them find their footing.

They both had pretty large expectations from our fan base although somewhat unfair. Gibbs can be that veteran backcourt leader that we had envisioned and Adams that spark off the bench but one is a grad student and one is a true freshman and both are trying to fit in to a whole new system. It should really come as no surprise that both weren't playing their best ball so far.

As per usual the BY has created the loftiness of expectations and only to throw their (my) arms up in protest when those expectations aren't met...immediately at that

Reaction Score
serious question: is JA fit to be a 2nd guard?

I think he plays much better when he is the clear point (when he is not on the floor with Gibbs). I like them both as players and really want to see them both flourish, but it seems like when they are in together, Gibbs has the ball up top more often than not. He is the one initiating the offense (when DHam isnt). JA has not been knocking down 3s very well and it would seem to make a whole lot more sense to have Gibbs looking for 3s that are set up by JA getting in the lane.

Reaction Score
I was never in favor of removing Gibbs from the starting lineup, mostly because we were dealing with a small sample of statistics that everybody knew would regress to the mean. He was an elite offensive player at Seton Hall, and even with his recent uptick, he's been nowhere near that level this season (0 for 6 on two-point field goals tonight, IIRC). I imagine he's only going to get better as the season goes on, and in recent games, I have thought that his defense has been a lot better.

That being said, it was far from outrageous to suggest that Adams ought to supplant Gibbs in the starting rotation. The on/off numbers between Adams and Gibbs were stark and impossible to ignore.

As @James says, with Brimah out, this is mostly a moot point...for now. Adams/Purvis/Hamilton/Miller/Brimah has been our best lineup this season. A peak Gibbs is a transformative offensive player who certainly figures to warrant inclusion in any crunch-time lineup, but things are far from settled. We have no idea how Adams will look in February.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
So we beat Tulane University and now everyone that suggested Adams should start is an idiot?

Reaction Score
So we beat Tulane University and now everyone that suggested Adams should start is an idiot?
Pretty much but it was more than Tulane.

Adams has more upside, he will eventually be a better player than Gibbs. But right now, Adams is as likely to disappear or make a big mistake as he is to take responsibility for running the team. Anyone who thinks he should start over Gibbs hasn't been watching

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
KO didn't pursue SG and SG didn't chose UConn to be coming off the bench UNLESS he gets injured or someone else proves game in and game out that they are flat out better
SG has played a lot of D1 BB and has the feel - JA doesn't have that yet
Will JA be better in the future? I hope so but at this point he is not
Was I disappointed in SG up to this point - yes but what he did vs Tulane without scoring proved to me that he can handle the PG duties and he is still clutch.
If SG, RP, and JA all get equal playing time, hopefully that means all are playing well and that will be a pleasant dilemma.

Reaction Score
I like what Gibbs did against Tulane, but is he going to continue to come up embarrassingly short on layups? At times he looks out of shape or coming off some kind of injury. I don't think either is the case. I appreciate the fact that Gibbs is still attacking the basket, but thus far attacking the lane looks like a real weekness in his game. Did Gibbs do this better at Seton Hall?

Reaction Score
Gibbs reminds me of old Purvis where you hear about the hype, see the flashes of brilliance... but ultimately underwhelms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom