• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I ought to do Pittsburgh but nothing inspires me
Pittsburgh doesn't have a Treehouse. But it does have a bunch of other places I'd consider far more interesting than some of the others you've mentioned. I'd add Brew Gentlemen to this list to make it an even dozen.

And how in hell is Marlowe in Nyack not on your to-do list?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My map I have pencils on a couple of Manchester CT locations
I like 2nd Bridge, it's hole in the wall and they are big soccer fans. And Elicit might be worth a stop, it's right near the highway. It's a big beer hall that does their own beer as well as having many guest taps that include plenty of CT beer. They usually have a selection from Great Falls, owned by a Boneyard alum.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sometimes I pick up random places and they turn out good (Paddle Creek I really liked)
I was happy to read this. It's a cool little place, I was surprised to see it on your list. They have a tap line at the Yard Goats.

Reaction Score
I was happy to read this. It's a cool little place, I was surprised to see it on your list. They have a tap line at the Yard Goats.
I wanted to stop SOMEWHERE and that seemed to be the most convenient.
And how in hell is Marlowe in Nyack not on your to-do list?
Never heard of them and they're in NY. I mean in theory I should skip CT and go up to Suarez :)

I keep a map...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Never heard of them and they're in NY. I mean in theory I should skip CT and go up to Suarez :)

I keep a map...

@karstenkibbe turned me onto them - there are multiple posts about them in this thread. "Eager to Share" was my favorite beer of 2022.

I'm out in Pgh so I'm not all that familiar with everything in CT, although I visit CT once or twice a year and have tried beers from a number of the breweries you mentioned. Marlowe is better than all of them. I don't know what you're referring to vis a vis Suarez. but I'd highly recommend making that beeline over the Tappan Zee (or Cuomo, I guess now).

Also, in Pgh, Church Brew Works is pretty much the worst microbrewery in town. There was a time 20 years ago when it was decent, but it also had almost no competition. I'd take it off your list. OTOH, I have some Helltown "Buffy" in my fridge right now - it's a solid, if unspectacular, non-fruity hazy, and priced reasonably (sixer for $13).

Reaction Score
@karstenkibbe turned me onto them - there are multiple posts about them in this thread. "Eager to Share" was my favorite beer of 2022.

I'm out in Pgh so I'm not all that familiar with everything in CT, although I visit CT once or twice a year and have tried beers from a number of the breweries you mentioned. Marlowe is better than all of them. I don't know what you're referring to vis a vis Suarez. but I'd highly recommend making that beeline over the Tappan Zee (or Cuomo, I guess now).

Also, in Pgh, Church Brew Works is pretty much the worst microbrewery in town. There was a time 20 years ago when it was decent, but it also had almost no competition. I'd take it off your list. OTOH, I have some Helltown "Buffy" in my fridge right now - it's a solid, if unspectacular, non-fruity hazy, and priced reasonably (sixer for $13).
Church was 10 years ago at the Frozen Four. Suarez Family Brewing is in Hudson, NY and is supposed to be highly regarded but also out of the way to the spawning grounds.

edit: I'm not against Pittsburgh, but it isn't even they don't have somebody elite like treehouse. I just did Raleigh-Durham in July and nobody OMG is there either. Red is places I have gone. Blue is ideas.

edit #2: Helltown was a one-off stop when I did a Ohio swing. Moron driving while using phone looking for a one-off. I keep wanting to do a larger road trip but something keeps getting in the way. So yeah I did Jackie O's to C'bus for the night, up through Hoppin' Frog and into Cleveland then back to DC.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Church was 10 years ago at the Frozen Four. Suarez Family Brewing is in Hudson, NY and is supposed to be highly regarded but also out of the way to the spawning grounds.

edit: I'm not against Pittsburgh, but it isn't even they don't have somebody elite like treehouse. I just did Raleigh-Durham in July and nobody OMG is there either.
I couldn't tell if the blue were ones you'd been to and red was your wish list or vice verse.

10 years ago, you would've been better off going to Penn Brewery or East End ;)

Also, it seems Marlowe has something going on in Mamaroneck, which would be much easier for you.

fwiw, Necromancer and Strange Roots are interesting enough to make Pgh a destination because of their relative oddness. Add in the "normal" ones and you've got quite a decent selection in one city. Granted, I live here, but I'm a transplant, and hardly a "homer" for all things Pgh.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I keep wanting to do a larger road trip but something keeps getting in the way. So yeah I did Jackie O's to C'bus for the night, up through Hoppin' Frog and into Cleveland then back to DC.
It's an impressive map. Saw you hit up Great Lakes in Cleveland. Been thinking about visiting since I buy a lot of their stuff - anything you remember about it that stands out? Also, FatHeads is brewed in CLE, but Fathead's restaurant is here in Pgh and you can get anything they make on tap there. They do Primantis better than Primantis.

Reaction Score
It's an impressive map. Saw you hit up Great Lakes in Cleveland. Been thinking about visiting since I buy a lot of their stuff - anything you remember about it that stands out? Also, FatHeads is brewed in CLE, but Fathead's restaurant is here in Pgh and you can get anything they make on tap there. They do Primantis better than Primantis.
I thought Fatheads was below average and Great Lakes what you see is what you get. So they were kind of disappointing. However. Getting to there even where you are... Wooly Pig is a target for the greater lower midwest loop. There's another one that isn't hoppin' frog near hoppin' frog (might have been Lock15? trying to find it again... sorry) and then hoppin' frog itself is the making of a nice 3 brewery swing.

Reaction Score
I couldn't tell if the blue were ones you'd been to and red was your wish list or vice verse.

10 years ago, you would've been better off going to Penn Brewery or East End ;)

Also, it seems Marlowe has something going on in Mamaroneck, which would be much easier for you.

fwiw, Necromancer and Strange Roots are interesting enough to make Pgh a destination because of their relative oddness. Add in the "normal" ones and you've got quite a decent selection in one city. Granted, I live here, but I'm a transplant, and hardly a "homer" for all things Pgh.
Yessir. Marlowe has moved into the former Decadent Ales location in Mamaroneck, right off 95 and a block from the Mamaroneck metro north station. It’s also connected to Half Time Beverage, which has an insane selection.

Reaction Score
I thought Fatheads was below average and Great Lakes what you see is what you get. So they were kind of disappointing. However. Getting to there even where you are... Wooly Pig is a target for the greater lower midwest loop. There's another one that isn't hoppin' frog near hoppin' frog (might have been Lock15? trying to find it again... sorry) and then hoppin' frog itself is the making of a nice 3 brewery swing.
I would recommend a Hudson Valley trip. Start in Rockland at District 96 in New City, the. Head back across the Tappan Zee Bridge and head up the Taconic. You can hit Hudson Valley Brewery in Beacon and then visit Ober Creek in Wappingers Falls 10 min away. Continue north to Poughkeepsie’s Plan Bee, an awesome farm brewery, then up to Hudson to visit Suarez. If you’ve still got any energy left in the tank, head north to Albany and visit Fidens.

Reaction Score
I would recommend a Hudson Valley trip. Start in Rockland at District 96 in New City, the. Head back across the Tappan Zee Bridge and head up the Taconic. You can hit Hudson Valley Brewery in Beacon and then visit Ober Creek in Wappingers Falls 10 min away. Continue north to Poughkeepsie’s Plan Bee, an awesome farm brewery, then up to Hudson to visit Suarez. If you’ve still got any energy left in the tank, head north to Albany and visit Fidens.
sounds like an idea. I'm not a big IPA guy but I'm willing to listen (District 96's website was a difficult read).

Reaction Score
Thank you all for your beer suggestions and being the one forum on boneyard that never disappoints and to paraphrase some county songs "beer never breaks you heart".

I'm on the Space Coast in FL and wondering if anyone has any recommendations for micro breweries in that area? There are quite a few around.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am having some stupid thoughts of doing travel during a government shutdown. Updating my CT targets (my real preferred trip is a multicity swing through the lower-midwest DC-Louisville-STL-KC-STL-IND-CIN-DC).

So I've been to Aspetuck, Two Roads, Black Hog, NEBCO, Relic, and Paddle Creek out of those that still exist.

I have pencils on Tox, Fox Farm, Counter Weight, and Beer'd. My map I have pencils on a couple of Manchester CT locations but anything on that I-84 plan has always been preferable as I'm targeting North Central Mass usually. Sometimes I pick up random places and they turn out good (Paddle Creek I really liked)

----

I keep penciling in trip ideas. New England I still havent done any real time in Western MA, Vermont, and Rhode Island and then there's one offs I haven't gotten to like Schilling in northern NH and Lamplighter in Cambridge. I want to do extended weekend trips to Greensboro/Winston Salem, Charlotte, and Asheville as separate trips. Then there's return visits into Central Pennsylvania, I ought to do Pittsburgh but nothing inspires me, and then there's a return trip to Roanoke and points further down. Still some trips are more elusive than others. i also want to sketch out an upper midwest plan.
Avoid Elicit and Urban Lodge. Labyrinth is pretty good.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yessir. Marlowe has moved into the former Decadent Ales location in Mamaroneck, right off 95 and a block from the Mamaroneck metro north station. It’s also connected to Half Time Beverage, which has an insane selection.
@karstenkibbe I intend to go to Zac's 4th Anniversary shindig. Are you privy to the target date?

Reaction Score
@karstenkibbe I intend to go to Zac's 4th Anniversary shindig. Are you privy to the target date?
Hopefully, I will see you there. Last time I spoke with him, he was considering 10/21 or 10/28 - leaning toward the 28th. Hoping to see him tomorrow. Will get some clarity and report back to you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Beervana is this Saturday. Anything specific I should look for from these breweries (I know most of them). Tickets remain available, which is unusual.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 081229.png

Reaction Score
Beervana is this Saturday. Anything specific I should look for from these breweries (I know most of them). Tickets remain available, which is unusual.

View attachment 91715
Really depends on what they are all pouring. I’m sure you know who you want to target in the hazy category, but if the mood strikes you, any stout poured by Timber Ales is an absolute must try. Forest & Main from Philly brews exceptional traditional styles. I have major love for Bissell. I haven’t had Belleflower, but @Dove loves them and I’ve heard positive things. If you have TUMS on you, then get a pour from 3 Fonteinen. Equilibrium IPAs have fallen off a bit the last few years, but their stouts are still great. Enjoy!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Really depends on what they are all pouring. I’m sure you know who you want to target in the hazy category, but if the mood strikes you, any stout poured by Timber Ales is an absolute must try. Forest & Main from Philly brews exceptional traditional styles. I have major love for Bissell. I haven’t had Belleflower, but @Dove loves them and I’ve heard positive things. If you have TUMS on you, then get a pour from 3 Fonteinen. Equilibrium IPAs have fallen off a bit the last few years, but their stouts are still great. Enjoy!
Thanks! What about 12 Percent? Never had anything from them.

I know Upper Pass, Vitamin Sea, Proclamation, Long Live, Beerd, Grimm, Finback, Little Willow Allagash, Mast Landing, Fat Orange Cat and Westbrook quite well. Parents live near Westbook. I'll try Mexican Cake if they have it. Nikki's will have some old vintage beers and we usually have Cantillon and some other Belgian stuff from the distributors.

Reaction Score
Thanks! What about 12 Percent? Never had anything from them.

I know Upper Pass, Vitamin Sea, Proclamation, Long Live, Beerd, Grimm, Finback, Little Willow Allagash, Mast Landing, Fat Orange Cat and Westbrook quite well. Parents live near Westbook. I'll try Mexican Cake if they have it. Nikki's will have some old vintage beers and we usually have Cantillon and some other Belgian stuff from the distributors.
Schenker and Eredita both make solid IPAs, pales and pilsners/lagers out of Twelve Percent. I no longer drink fruited kettle sour sugar slop, so I won’t recommend Skygazer or Abomination - although the latter makes some tasty heavily adjuncted stouts too. But Twelve Percent does a lot of one-offs these days too, so they could bring one or two from breweries that aren’t in their regular brew schedule rotation.

Reaction Score
Avoid Elicit and Urban Lodge. Labyrinth is pretty good.
Agree 100%. Big fan of Labyrinth's Wail of the Banshee Scotch Ale. They make excellent stouts too.

Urban Lodge's beer is OK, but it's cool that they are opening up a tap room in Hartford on Pratt Street.

Ellicit is in the old Adams Mill and can get rowdy (fights) late. Didn't care for their beer either.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

View attachment 91715
Warning, if you start with Belleflower, you won't bother with anyone else. If they are pouring either The Sun, or The Moon...whoa.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Warning, if you start with Belleflower, you won't bother with anyone else. If they are pouring either The Sun, or The Moon...whoa.
Impossible for me to believe that given who else is there, but I’m looking forward to trying it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hey @Dove Wild Winds just landed at my small local shop. Have you had that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom