Beatles: Get Back | The Boneyard

Beatles: Get Back

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyone watch this?

I watched the first one and it was surprisingly riveting. The documentary was taken from 60 hours of the Beatles prepare for their last performance before a live audience. It is a fascinating look into the dynamics of the break up of this group, but maybe more interestingly, the dynamics of how they would write a song. Pressed to come up with 14 new songs, the group sits down six days a week in a warehouse and starts banging things out. It is fascinating to watch McCartney take a chord or two and and slowly through them together into a song adding nonsense words along the way until finally he chugs out the songs that we all know. Watching Lennon and McCartney interact with each other and throw ideas off each other is fascinating. It's also interesting to see the extent that they are dismissive of George Harrison.

Also interesting to me is the groups ability to play other instruments. McCartney and Lennon take turns on the piano while Harrison takes an occasional turn on the drums. In a different documentary I learned that McCartney doesn't read music so basically he's doing everything by ear. When he plays a song for the rest of the group Lennon would watch his singers on the guitar as he worked to learn the song. Meanwhile McCartney is mouthing drum sounds for Ringo.

Each of these are long, over 2 1/2 hours but I have to say the first one seemingly went pretty quickly. Highly recommend. If there's any drop off in the second I'll come back with a follow up post. I think the third one contains the full rooftop concert.

Reaction Score
I've watched it complete four times. I watched it separately with both of my daughters and twice by myself. Needless to say, I absolutely loved it. I wouldn't even say I'm a huge Beatles fan, but I found it super interesting.

My takeaways:

George is my favorite Beatle and Get Back only reinforced that. Funny, supremely talented and just plain cool. His outfits were amazing! Then he brings his buddy Billy Preston into the room and turns everything on its head for the better. The hole thing with him leaving the band and the McCartney/Lennon recording was pretty wild.

Lennon surprised me. Another amazing talent, but I never really cared for him. I always thought him obnoxious and pretentious but this showed how incredibly funny and human he was.

McCartney writing Let It Be on the fly was jaw-dropping. Like you said, can play any instrument in the room.

Props to Ringo too for just being Ringo. Cool to see him working out Octopuses Garden with George.

"Something in the way she moves, attracts me like a pommy-granate..." I'll never hear the song the same way again.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've watched it complete four times. I watched it separately with both of my daughters and twice by myself. Needless to say, I absolutely loved it. I wouldn't even say I'm a huge Beatles fan, but I found it super interesting.

My takeaways:

George is my favorite Beatle and Get Back only reinforced that. Funny, supremely talented and just plain cool. His outfits were amazing! Then he brings his buddy Billy Preston into the room and turns everything on its head for the better. The hole thing with him leaving the band and the McCartney/Lennon recording was pretty wild.

Lennon surprised me. Another amazing talent, but I never really cared for him. I always thought him obnoxious and pretentious but this showed how incredibly funny and human he was.

McCartney writing Let It Be on the fly was jaw-dropping. Like you said, can play any instrument in the room.

Props to Ringo too for just being Ringo. Cool to see him working out Octopuses Garden with George.

"Something in the way she moves, attracts me like a pommy-granate..." I'll never hear the song the same way again.
Just finished it. I have to say after watching all the practice sessions, watching the rooftop performance was pretty cool. The focus energy level just went up a notch, especially with Lennon.

Really great watch for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Reaction Score
Just finished it. I have to say after watching all the practice sessions, watching the rooftop performance was pretty cool. The focus energy level just went up a notch, especially with Lennon.

Really great watch for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
I started watching it again, LOL! The first episode has always been the hardest for me to get through. It drags a bit and then everything takes off in the second episode.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom