BE wants 14th football member per commish | The Boneyard

BE wants 14th football member per commish

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
BYU will and should have the right of first refusal as they probably bring the most to the table. After/if they pass, I would think Air Force will be the next school asked to join.

Reaction Score
I think he all but confirms they are looking at BYU.

"We're looking at a 14th," he said. "I'm not talking about which ones. There are some obvious candidates, but we're not talking about raiding anyone and there are some independents that might potentially want to be a member."

The key word: independents

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think he all but confirms they are looking at BYU.

"We're looking at a 14th," he said. "I'm not talking about which ones. There are some obvious candidates, but we're not talking about raiding anyone and there are some independents that might potentially want to be a member."

The key word: independents

Notre Dame, duh!!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And shortly after he wakes up he calls BYU :p

Well, if the BE has gotten to the point that BYU is a "fall back" or "safety" school, that's major progress. No team in the BE moving forward has a larger fanbase or better consistent history than BYU.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
BYU is fine. Actually, more than fine.

But if it ain't BYU, if you think I'm pessimistic now, just wait.

If the Big East adds even one more mid-major s*** sack like Temple or UCF, that's it.

I start actively praying for the immolation of the Big East offices.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
byu is having themselves a game right now! go cougs!

is the clear #14. they cleared there schedule all off season and then went quiet media wise. its obvious plus the whole navy already saying yes cross over game stuff... we need to get byu and 1 of unr or fresno for 16 before we do tv contract stuff. go in with the best hand with the most programming possible. this will get the league the most $$ possible on the table. its good 2 ways for uconn. worst case is we have what we have and a good tv contract and we know what our next 10 years looks like. or, espn now has to act to protect its power 5 and dominance in the tv market over a upstart nbc and has to pluck uconn/ruty/lville and maybe cincy in order to f nbc. either way we need to get to 16 with the above team fast. like next friday fast.

byu is all over wash st right now, ucf did what it was suppose 2 this weekend and bsu goes to msu saturday. a lot of positive noise for nbe teams will come this weekend. strike now when the topic is hot and lets go to the tv contract meeting chin high and see what happens.

Reaction Score
^%!#^%$#@^ Take all three (BYU, and ND) and toss a few out!

I feel better...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It seems clear to me from Aresco's comments that he was talking about BYU first (as other posters have already mentioned). Keep in mind that BYU was nearly on board months ago, but the lack of tv concessions made them step away from the table. Now, if we can really offer them a contract of the value that we've all been hearing (i.e., 14+ million ballpark), that would be a stark contrast to what they were expecting in the past from us. It seems to be enough to change their decision about the tv issue, and I'd put the chances of BYU in the Big East around 80% now, which is a very good thing...:cool:

Reaction Score
BYU would be a very nice replacement for SU and Pitt. On a side note, I was watching the halftime & postgame shows last night (nice job by SNY), and a few of their guys picked outgoing Cuse and PITT to finish at the bottom of the BE this season. Just sayin’…

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
BYU would be a very nice replacement for SU and Pitt. On a side note, I was watching the halftime & postgame shows last night (nice job by SNY), and a few of their guys picked outgoing Cuse and PITT to finish at the bottom of the BE this season. Just sayin’…

Actually, it was only one of their guys, and that guy was UConn alum Sean Mulcahy. I'm not saying he's wrong; in fact, I very much hope he's right, but I wouldn't make more out of it than what it was.

I do agree with you that bringing BYU in takes a lot of the sting away from the departing teams, though...

Reaction Score
we might have a Mormon president next year. BYU is on the rise! A few people here have said they wish Memphis wasn't here so we could take and BYU, but I'd have preferred we never brought in UCF, but since we're stuck with them, BYU would hands down be the best addition we could make. I'd have taken them over anyone else we've brought in, even Boise State.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
we might have a Mormon president next year. BYU is on the rise! A few people here have said they wish Memphis wasn't here so we could take and BYU, but I'd have preferred we never brought in UCF, but since we're stuck with them, BYU would hands down be the best addition we could make. I'd have taken them over anyone else we've brought in, even Boise State.

What, and what??? So, let me summarize what you've said:

1) You prefer BYU over Boise State.
2) You prefer Memphis over UCF.

Ummm.....what??? I would love for you to elaborate on that...

Reaction Score
BYU has a national championship. Boise State doesn't.

Reaction Score
1.)Boise State has been great for a few years, but BYU has what we're missing most and that's tradition. they have a national championship from within my lifetime and they have a lot more fans that regularly pack a 63k stadium, whereas Boise plays in a 37k seat sideshow of a stadium(not due to size, but the idiotic field). to me it's not even that close. if BCS auto bids were still a factor maybe Boise's theoretically higher ranking would be more important, but since that's no longer a factor it's not.

2.)UCF is a glorified community college that I just saw ranked as the #1 least rigorous college on CNN last week. they're facing sanctions, and while their teams on the field are decent, they're nothing special. football wise UCF is way better than Memphis, and bball wise i'd give Memphis a solid edge. as far as that criteria i can see preferring UCF, but I think the intangibles of Memphis are better. Memphis provides a nice little market and brings FedEx money and ties us to the Liberty Bowl. they also fill in our geography a little bit and i think between them, Cinci and Louisville, we can have a nice little rivalry develop there. UCF doesn't really bring much other than we now have the 4th and 5th best Florida teams instead of just the 4th (although on the field lately they're probably 3rd). UCF is just USF v2.0 and we don't need another USF

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
BYU has a national championship. Boise State doesn't.

Boise State has been relevant in the national championship discussoin for the last 6 years or so. BYU has not. Boise State has been a top 15 team for the last 10 years or so. BYU has not. Boise State has won two BCS bowls, and BYU has not.

Don't get me wrong; BYU would be a great addition, as they are still a solid football team with a great fan following and a known brand name. But if you think that BYU is a better pickup than Boise, I'm just not sure what to say. If that were the case, believe me, the Big East would have made further concessions to BYU last year. They did not.

Hopefully, we can have them both, and then there will be no need to argue who is better... ;)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
1.)Boise State has been great for a few years, but BYU has what we're missing most and that's tradition. they have a national championship from within my lifetime and they have a lot more fans that regularly pack a 63k stadium, whereas Boise plays in a 37k seat sideshow of a stadium(not due to size, but the idiotic field). to me it's not even that close. if BCS auto bids were still a factor maybe Boise's theoretically higher ranking would be more important, but since that's no longer a factor it's not.

2.)UCF is a glorified community college that I just saw ranked as the #1 least rigorous college on CNN last week. they're facing sanctions, and while their teams on the field are decent, they're nothing special. football wise UCF is way better than Memphis, and bball wise i'd give Memphis a solid edge. as far as that criteria i can see preferring UCF, but I think the intangibles of Memphis are better. Memphis provides a nice little market and brings FedEx money and ties us to the Liberty Bowl. they also fill in our geography a little bit and i think between them, Cinci and Louisville, we can have a nice little rivalry develop there. UCF doesn't really bring much other than we now have the 4th and 5th best Florida teams instead of just the 4th (although on the field lately they're probably 3rd). UCF is just USF v2.0 and we don't need another USF

1) You can't very well bring an argument that BYU is better than Boise because of fanbase size, and then not bring that into the argument of UCF versus Memphis!

2) That national championship that you are talking about was in 1984, the same year as the movie "Sixteen Candles" and two years before the Shuttle Challenger exploded. Then you must be ecstatic that we have also grabbed SMU, the national champions of 1981 and 1982! They should be viewed as twice as good as BYU!!

Look, I'm not trying to dog on any of the new Big East members, because I think they all bring something to the table. For the record, I really like the SMU and UCF acquisitions, I would love the BYU acquisition, and I am extremely excited about the Boise acquisition. They all make us a stronger football product and a more marketable league. BYU's addition could perhaps even boost our tv contract above ACC levels, which would be awesome and funny. But make no mistake that Boise is the reason the Big East is still in the national discussion.

Reaction Score
Has BYU given up on putting their games on some sort of Mormon network where they would get all of the $$ themselves and not have to share with a conference?

Reaction Score
Has BYU given up on putting their games on some sort of Mormon network where they would get all of the $$ themselves and not have to share with a conference?

have you given up on finding a hobby?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The addition of UCF gives every BE team a chance to play in Florida every year. More access to that fertile recruiting ground is a good thing.

Memphis?
Well hopefully FedEx will gives us free shipping or something.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Memphis provides a nice little market and brings FedEx money and ties us to the Liberty Bowl.

But UCF brings Disney World! And we know who Disney owns...

And the obvious unrelated conclusion to all of this is we therefore are staying on ESPN.

Reaction Score
But UCF brings Disney World! And we know who Disney owns...

And the obvious unrelated conclusion to all of this is we therefore are staying on ESPN.
That's an interesting point. Not sure the relationship between ESPN, Disney, or UCF other than geography...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom