Bazz should have intentionally missed ft | The Boneyard

Bazz should have intentionally missed ft

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You're insane. He misses w 2.3 left, they call time out and set up a play. If they hit a shot they win. Crazy.

Reaction Score
Hard to follow, but televised game, teams get 5 timeouts, but only 4 carry over to second half.

BC used all 4 of their timeouts in the 2nd half, I think three alone in last couple of minutes.

So they would not have been able to call a time out.

Last edited:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Hard to follow, but televised game, teams get 5 timeouts, but only 4 carry over to second half.

BC used all 4 of their timeouts in the 2nd half, I think three alone in last couple of minutes.

So they would not have been able to call a time out.
Still insane. Bazz misses, they hurry up court and hit a shot at the buzzer and we lose.

Reaction Score
2.3 seconds is a surprisingly long amount of time for a good athlete to get up the floor.

More importantly, a slow clock operator will make it an eternity if he delays it by a second. That seems to happen constantly in pro and college ball.

Reaction Score
With 2.3; the odds of them getting off anything but a 3 are slim. You lose either way if a miracle shot happens. I prefer to put points on the board.

Your first two points are correct....which makes your last point completely illogical. There is no difference between a 2-point lead and a 1-point lead in that situation.

Missing the shot is absolutely the correct play. Making the shot allows them to advance the ball down the court without any time going off the clock. Missing the shot means the clock starts as soon as BC touches the ball 90 feet away from the hoop. I'd say about 90% of the time, the only way to get off a shot in time is for one of their guys (usually a big guy mind you) to get the rebound, take one dribble, and try a 70-foot one-handed heave - and that's if they get a clean rebound. Attempting even one pass is extremely risky with that little time left. Of course, there's also a chance that we get the rebound, or they bobble the rebound and don't even get a shot off.

Shabazz made the shot, which allowed them to pass the ball twice and get the ball to within around 35 feet of the hoop. It is basically impossible to secure a rebound (especially if it's a big guy) and get the ball that close to the hoop in 2.3 seconds when the clock starts as soon as you touch the ball. Even in the best case scenario, which would be Hanlan grabbing the rebound near the foul line with a running start, I bet you he has to shoot it before he even reaches half court.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think he definitely should have missed the shot. We saw what happened when he didn't...they were able to set up a decent look at a 3 to win the game. Luckily Boat defended the shot. He misses there is no way he would have gotten that good of a look and definitely no way the last shot would have been anything but a 3.

Reaction Score
Tell that to Tyus Edney

Tyus Edney had twice as much time as was on the clock in last night's game and even under those circumstances, if the ball had been passed to him off a rebound on a missed free throw, as opposed to an inbounds from the baseline, he doesn't get within 25 feet of the hoop.

Laettner may have been a better example, but even in that case the same reasoning applies. There is no question you miss that free throw. I knew it was trouble as soon as KO subbed Amida in for the second free throw, because he either wanted him to challenge for the rebound, which would uneccesarily create a risk of fouling and putting them on the line for 2, or have him challenge the inbounds.

Reaction Score
No question he has to miss the shot there - If BC had a time out left then you make it

Reaction Score
I side with those who advised him to miss. I put 3 guys back at half court, one guy to try to rebound the miss (just to make BC respect it), and then try to see if they can rebound, push the ball up court, and take the 3.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
If we were even an AVERAGE rebounding team, I might agree that he should have missed it. But with our rebounding woes, do we really believe anything would happen other than a clean BC rebound if he missed it?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The likelihood you can pull an Edny is infinitely higher if you make the FT because you can advance the ball with the clock stopped.

There isn't even a debate to be had here - you have to miss the FT because a 3 beats you either way.

Reaction Score
If we were even an AVERAGE rebounding team, I might agree that he should have missed it. But with our rebounding woes, do we really believe anything would happen other than a clean BC rebound if he missed it?
in that situation you wouldn't want your guys in there battling for rebounds, a foul and BC goes to the line in the double bonus.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
You're insane. He misses w 2.3 left, they call time out and set up a play. If they hit a shot they win. Crazy.
They had no timeouts left, therefore no ability to set up a play.

Reaction Score
My feeling was that I'd be happy if he missed and I'd be okay if he made it, simply because I don't really want the players to worry about thinking about missing FTs. If something weird happened where he airballed it or only hit the backboard or something (which isn't too farfetched, if you're changing your shot motion from what it usually is, you could overestimate what it takes to miss), then BC gets to inbound it AND are only down 1.

D

ddm1986

My feeling was that I'd be happy if he missed and I'd be okay if he made it, simply because I don't really want the players to worry about thinking about missing FTs. If something weird happened where he airballed it or only hit the backboard or something (which isn't too farfetched, if you're changing your shot motion from what it usually is, you could overestimate what it takes to miss), then BC gets to inbound it AND are only down 1.

Like Wade did against the Celtics earlier this year and the Celtics won on a 3. Though the Celts did have a timeout so they were able to move it to half court.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't know why the team didn't milk the clock, they were up by 7 with 2:48, and on the following several possessions, shots were taken with more than 10 to 20 seconds left on the clock, Unless you have a wide open drive to the lane, you should be passing the ball around and setting up a last second shot IMO,

Even if you dont make the shot, you should be able to get back and defend, just my two cents.

Happy we won, none the less.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
No problem with hitting the FT. But Brimah sure does block the inbounder's vision on the baseline!

Reaction Score

It doesn't matter if they got a clean rebound or not. The clock would still start as soon as it touched a player, and they would have to turn around and get it up court and a shot off within 2.3 seconds. They aren't getting off a 2 pointer in that situation anyway, so being up by 1 or 2 doesn't matter - they'd win with a 3 either way. Since he made it, they were able to advance the ball much further down the court before any time went off the clock. If he misses and they get a rebound, with no timeouts left the best shot they possibly get is a half court heave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom