OT: - Bama fires baseball coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Bama fires baseball coach

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think the theory was that, like with marijuana, legalizing it and having it done out in the open would make it harder for shenanigans like this. The jury is still out.

That said, it's hard to make the case that this wouldn't have happened before widespread legalized sports betting.

This is nothing like weed, but the case is the same. Tax $$$

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Illegal gambling had way less gamblers and way less bets being placed.
...and more opportunity for scandal.

In a regulated environment, the number of gamblers and volume of bets is inconsequential, as regulations are designed to control unusual or unexplainable exceptions.

Without regulation, there is no manner, other than anecdotally, that this can be quantified.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
I might pay a fraction more, but industry regulation means I'm a heck of a lot more comfortable that flower from a dispensary is fentanyl-free vs. what I might get from "Saul Silver."

Reaction Score
I'm actually a big proponent of legalized marijuana for reasons other than just tax even as a non-user. But I fully agree that legalized gambling is purely for state revenue (tax and tourism). I know some guys that have kept using their prior pot dealers and bookies because of the taxes.

I'm interested in seeing the damage that legalized gambling has done to addicts. If I had to guess, there may be less life destroying (literally) debt because you can't go as deeply in the whole like the neighborhood bookie allowed. But, the ease of legalized gambling has probably resulted in a lot more people losing a big piece of their personal savings. Mile wide, inch deep vs. vice versa.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Unregulated gambling is more transparent?

The BC point shaving scandal occurred in the 1978-79 season. It was not discovered until some time after May 1980, and even then only by accident.

Donaghy passed information/bet on games for two full seasons before his scandal was revealed.

This particular irregularity was sniffed out in a matter of hours. I'm not sure how objectively, "We were better off before."

And what about all the others before this incident? I wouldn't bet a wooden nickel this is the first time Bama's coach did this. First time he got caught.

Reaction Score
...and more opportunity for scandal.

In a regulated environment, the number of gamblers and volume of bets is inconsequential, as regulations are designed to control unusual or unexplainable exceptions.

Without regulation, there is no manner, other than anecdotally, that this can be quantified.
It means way more people are taking part in it than there used to be, it means way more people have the screws into them and are susceptible to being taken down by gambling. It's fairly new here so we haven't yet seen the scope of the ramifications. Europe and globally has seen fixing explode in recent years and I'm sure there's been a host of other societal ramifications. It's already happening here and we'll eventually hear all about it

Husky25

Reaction Score
And what about all the others before this incident? I wouldn't bet a wooden nickel this is the first time Bama's coach did this. First time he got caught.
I wouldn't either, but that's what makes it scandalous.

Pigs get fed, Hogs get slaughtered. In an unregulated environment, these schemes would not have been discovered so quickly and now the coach is suffering the consequences.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I might pay a fraction more, but industry regulation means I'm a heck of a lot more comfortable that flower from a dispensary is fentanyl-free vs. what I might get from "Saul Silver."

Thats a great thing. Its why they should legalize Heroin and Coke too.

Reaction Score
Are there “insider trading” laws for gamblers? I could understand the coach being fired for tipping off a bettor, but could the person who placed the bet (assuming they aren’t a coach or player) face legal consequences?
Yes. That’s a fixed game.

Reaction Score
I see this being one of those things where fans all around the country will be making fun of a particular school for being a renegade criminal program and then they realize their school is next.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Thats a great thing. Its why they should legalize Heroin and Coke too.
Can't tell if you are serious or introducing a red herring.

pj

Reaction Score
"The University of Alabama has terminated it's employment of the Head Baseball Coach due to inappropriate behavior from the baseball, football and basketball teams."

Too bad UConn didn't fire Kevin Ollie due to inappropriate behavior from the football team. They could have saved $10 million.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Alabama baseball coach looks like he was trying to get caught.

Reaction Score
It means way more people are taking part in it than there used to be, it means way more people have the screws into them and are susceptible to being taken down by gambling. It's fairly new here so we haven't yet seen the scope of the ramifications. Europe and globally has seen fixing explode in recent years and I'm sure there's been a host of other societal ramifications. It's already happening here and we'll eventually hear all about it
I dunno, man.

Are you really arguing that the ability of Joe Schmo sports-bettor to use Draftkings means that the Alabama baseball coach has more exposure to illegal activity?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom