OT: - Bama fires baseball coach | The Boneyard

OT: Bama fires baseball coach

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is weird.

Bama played at #1 LSU last weekend. Bama had a late scratch of their starter and the someone at Cincy Reds stadium puts large money on LSU in that game.

LSU got out to a big lead but Bama came back to lose a close one.

Ohio regulators sniffed something out and stopped all future bets on Alabama baseball. New Jersey followed suit.

Today Bama fires the head coach.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is weird.

Bama played at #1 LSU last weekend. Bama had a late scratch of their starter and the someone at Cincy Reds stadium puts large money on LSU in that game.

Ohio regulators sniffed something out and stopped all future bets on Alabama baseball. New Jersey followed suit.

Sounds like the system worked.

Reaction Score
Are there “insider trading” laws for gamblers? I could understand the coach being fired for tipping off a bettor, but could the person who placed the bet (assuming they aren’t a coach or player) face legal consequences?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Are there “insider trading” laws for gamblers? I could understand the coach being fired for tipping off a bettor, but could the person who placed the bet (assuming they aren’t a coach or player) face legal consequences?
Well besides being a federal crime I think they get off scot free

Reaction Score
The toothpaste is out of the tube, but isn't it likely that so many people on campus have insider knowledge of the lives of student athletes that insider trading will be rampant (Joe College was at the kegger until 2AM)?
And an ever increasing number of people close to athletes that could seek to influence outcomes and so much easier to spread/disguise wagers.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Earlier this week, reports were the nig money was put on Bama which made no sense since LSU was favored and Bama scratched their ace.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
This is weird.

Pete Rose is back.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
All this gambling is really pushing me away from sports. You can’t watch a game without being bombarded with gambling opportunities. Only a matter of time before there is big time corruption. Players, coaches, officials, umpires.

It's already out there. It's only a matter of time before it's discovered.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Earlier this week, reports were the nig money was put on Bama which made no sense since LSU was favored and Bama scratched their ace.
Which was stupid, given the sport at the college level simply doesn't attract much action, so this bet stood out like a sore thumb.

Also...

Reaction Score
All this gambling is really pushing me away from sports. You can’t watch a game without being bombarded with gambling opportunities. Only a matter of time before there is big time corruption. Players, coaches, officials, umpires.
Agreed, only a matter of time until a betting scandal hits professional sports now that it's legal

IMG_0779.jpeg

IMG_0778.jpeg

Reaction Score
I can't stand it. I feel like people talk more about gambling on the games and fantasy than they do the actual games. It's obviously going to create more fixing and is bad for society. We were better off before.

August_West

Reaction Score
I can't stand it. I feel like people talk more about gambling on the games and fantasy than they do the actual games. It's obviously going to create more fixing and is bad for society. We were better off before.

too late. We are too late on all this stuff. Societies mind is not able to handle what's happened in tech the last 15 years, and that is lol primitive compared to next 5 . Buckle up kiddo

Reaction Score
"The University of Alabama has terminated it's employment of the Head Baseball Coach due to inappropriate behavior from the baseball, football and basketball teams."

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Unregulated gambling is more transparent?

The BC point shaving scandal occurred in the 1978-79 season. It was not discovered until some time after May 1980, and even then only by accident.

Donaghy passed information/bet on games for two full seasons before his scandal was revealed.

This particular irregularity was sniffed out in a matter of hours. I'm not sure how objectively, "We were better off before."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

... particular irregularity was sniffed out in a matter of hours. I'm not sure how objectively, "We were better off before."
That's what I say. "Scares the hell out of me" is drama queen BS.

Reaction Score

The BC point shaving scandal occurred in the 1978-79 season. It was not discovered until some time after May 1980, and even then only by accident.

Donaghy passed information/bet on games for two full seasons before his scandal was revealed.

This particular irregularity was sniffed out in a matter of hours. I'm not sure how objectively, "We were better off before."
Illegal gambling had way less gamblers and way less bets being placed.

August_West

Reaction Score
Illegal gambling had way less gamblers and way less bets being placed.

Its true. Its the barrier of entry thats the difference tied in to being social media/ cell phone culture. Its just another shareable event on a phone. "Look at my parlay ma". Hell Im 55 and I do it.

Reaction Score
I think the theory was that, like with marijuana, legalizing it and having it done out in the open would make it harder for shenanigans like this. The jury is still out.

That said, it's hard to make the case that this wouldn't have happened before widespread legalized sports betting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom