Bacon Methodology | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bacon Methodology

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I find cleaning the air fryer basket to be a nuisance. I always make bacon with eggs, so I’ll go with the pan method.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Are they wrapped in bacon?

Not this time. I usually brine thick chops before cooking them but this was a spur of the moment cook. I think it was just a bit of oils, salt, pepper, garlic and maybe some rosemary.

Reaction Score
I personally use the baking sheet parchment paper oven method. Found it to be just a more consistent cook for large batches of bacon.

Air fryer is by far best mrhod for cooking and easiest for clean up.

360 degrees and vary the time based on thickness and how well you like you bacon crisped.

It's pretty cool. I'm not entirely sure what it does or if I'm using it correctly but I just throw some in there and turn some knobs and it comes out pretty good.

The air fryer is a magnificent thing. It does almost everything better than a regular oven and it is so fast. I’m a big fan of the Cosori models with a fryer basket design. Even heating a bagel or a good roll in the air fryer makes for a delicious surprise. They taste fresh made.

Whole Foods has a great lower sodium bacon in the meat case. Buttery perfection.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
We are making BLT's tonight with the last of our garden tomatoes. My wife loves bacon but does not like the house smelling like bacon? So I cook them on my grill. I line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and put the bacon on a baking rack. I have to watch the grill temp more than I would in the oven but I've done it enough times that I have figured out time and temp. Downside is more variables and I love the smell of bacon in the house. Upside is happy wife.

Reaction Score
If you like your bacon crispy, and evenly cooked, fry or broil the bacon to about 80%. Then, right before serving, put it on a dish covered with paper towel in the microwave to finish it off. It won't take long, maybe 30-90 seconds, so monitor it closely. You'll be amazed. Lightly cover it with paper towel if you want to avoid splatter.

Reaction Score
I didnt read every comment in detail here but surprised no one has mentioned steaming the bacon (may have missed it). I like to drop some water in to start and it cooks the bacon through

Reaction Score
I always use a pan so I can soak up that delicious artery clogging grease with some eggs and toast

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I always use a pan so I can soak up that delicious artery clogging grease with some eggs and toast
Brother in law just turned 70 last week. Going in for quad by pass surgery next week. It sucks that so many wonderful things cause so much grief.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Brother in law just turned 70 last week. Going in for quad by pass surgery next week. It sucks that so many wonderful things cause so much grief.
I had a quad bypass at 66. And a stent added three years ago. I'm 77 now, and probably need another stent next year. Still wouldn't give up bacon. To my way of thinking, giving up what you love to go without it longer just doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
There’s bacon and there’s bacon. Not all bacon is created equal. Great applewood smoked has a certain sweetness to it but it’s very hit or miss on the brands, I think it’s the bacon more than the prep technique. Those commercial restaurant suppliers like Sysco have different stuff that we can’t get our hands on. I’ll try this Wright bacon out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There’s bacon and there’s bacon. Not all bacon is created equal. Great applewood smoked has a certain sweetness to it but it’s very hit or miss on the brands, I think it’s the bacon more than the prep technique. Those commercial restaurant suppliers like Sysco have different stuff that we can’t get our hands on. I’ll try this Wright bacon out.
And then there's Benton's bacon:

Warning, not for people who want anything remotely subtle. This is intensely smoky. If you have it with breakfast you won't want more than one slice, maybe not even that. Its best use imo is diced as part of a dish that calls for bacon, like Flammkuchen (which is where I first had it, at Luke in New Orleans) or on a salad (cue Jim Gaffigan).

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

Warning, not for people who want anything remotely subtle. This is intensely smoky. If you have it with breakfast you won't want more than one slice, maybe not even that. Its best use imo is diced as part of a dish that calls for bacon, like Flammkuchen (which is where I first had it, at Luke in New Orleans) or on a salad (cue Jim Gaffigan).
No joke. I love smokey food (and booze), but I've had a couple of packages of this stuff in the freezer for a while now because I'm a little scared of it after making the first package. It's pretty intense.

Reaction Score
That bacon fat is meant to be left alone for a while til it congeals. Then stored in the fridge to be used for cooking again.

Reaction Score
Restaurants must get higher quality bacon than we can get at the store because very often it is just better in flavor. Whole Foods sells some that’s pretty good but often I am disappointed with what is being sold in the grocery store.

I worked at Whole Foods in college and we would give the smelly or out of date bacon from the meat department to the prepared foods department. Enjoy!

Reaction Score
Heart Attack Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

"I'm coming Elizabeth!"

Only the old people on here like me will get this. This is what I said when I saw the food items at the Big E this year. Holy grease clogging arteries.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That bacon fat is meant to be left alone for a while til it congeals. Then stored in the fridge to be used for cooking again.
In an empty frozen orange juice concentrate container.

At least that’s how we did it in my house around 45 years ago.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If storing in the fridge makes one feel better, have at it. But it isn't necessary. I've had a small jar on the counter for years. If it fills up, I start a new one and toss the old stuff.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I had a quad bypass at 66. And a stent added three years ago. I'm 77 now, and probably need another stent next year. Still wouldn't give up bacon. To my way of thinking, giving up what you love to go without it longer just doesn't make sense.
Not a condemnation of eating bacon. Just a confirmation of the post I responded to.

Reaction Score

That looks good and it's not all that much more expensive than the weak bacon they sell in grocery stores.

Reaction Score
If storing in the fridge makes one feel better, have at it. But it isn't necessary. I've had a small jar on the counter for years. If it fills up, I start a new one and toss the old stuff.
My dad always had a tub of bacon fat right next to the stove when we were growing up. Then one time he got his cholesterol checked and it was absurdly high. He made us kids get ours checked too and they all came back too high for our ages. The tub of bacon fat was gone after that. It was a sad day.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My dad always had a tub of bacon fat right next to the stove when we were growing up. Then one time he got his cholesterol checked and it was absurdly high. He made us kids get ours checked too and they all came back too high for our ages. The tub of bacon fat was gone after that. It was a sad day.
The funny thing about reaching one's mid-60s is that doctors just don't really care that much anymore about bad habits. If anything is borderline, they'll let you know, but they're kinda like, "Just tellin' you. You made it this far, not the healthiest thing, but you're not gonna die anytime soon, so enjoy your final years." Get the colonoscopy every few years to show you still care.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom