B1G | Page 82 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Technically, BC is located in Chestnut Hill, which is not in the city and is a suburb. A small part of the campus is located in Boston, though.
Technically speaking chestnut hill is in Brookline, Boston, and west Roxbury.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Technically speaking chestnut hill is in Brookline, Boston, and west Roxbury.
Upper campus is in Newton. My sister lived there Freshman year.

We are are arguing over semantics. Regardless of where the physical campus is, no one in Central - Eastern Mass. cares about BC unless they are doing well. Case in point...how many time did you see a BC revenue generating sports mentioned on NESN this year?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I don't really agree with that. Chestnut Hill is part of the city. We're splitting hairs if Cleveland Circle is the city (it is) and BC 1000 feet up the road is not.
I've been to BC. It is in a suburban location. Let's be real.

Reaction Score
I've been to BC. It is in a suburban location. Let's be real.

I lived a 5 minute walk from it in Brighton for 3 years. I definitely lived in the city. Again, this is splitting hairs. I could be immersed in Boston at Cleveland Circle and a baseball player with a good arm could probably throw a ball to BC from there. Geez. Who cares anyway?

Reaction Score
With respect to the ethos of the city of Boston, BC is not in the city. Being near the green line is not a qualification of being in the city. Large sections of Newton, Needham, and Wellesley are located near the green line and are by no means anywhere near urban. The city line shoots right down the middle of Conte Forum and Alumni Stadium, leaving the vast majority of their campus in Newton. It's near a section of Boston, but by no means near the heart of the city, its population, its centers of business/work/entertainment/anything. You cannot reasonably walk from BC to any part Boston that could be considered a center of it - Cleveland Circle is actually technically in Brookline for the most part, and even still is not really a hub or destination for anyone outside of the immediate area. Very few people go out of their way to hop on the T to get to Cleveland Circle, as they would Fenway/Kenmore, the South End, even the Allston bars and Coolidge Corner get more local visitors so to speak. BC is very, very much removed from the city, and city life - the students and people there will readily admit this! They like it! Whether or not it's a good location for a university is a different argument, but it is most definitely not "in the city" by any means.

Cleveland Circle feels like the city, but it's the last outpost. Then you're in the hinterland.

Reaction Score
Cleveland Circle feels like the city, but it's the last outpost. Then you're in the hinterland.

I suppose, but barely. There's really nothing there now that's worth going for. The cinema closed a few years ago, there's a few non-descript chain restaurants and pizza places, Eagle's Deli remodeled and the quality of the food has gone downhill, and the rest of the bars are just basic sports bars/dives. Very little terribly unique or worth a T ride to go to. That said, having made the walk more than a couple of times after hockey games at Conte, the walk from the BC campus to Cleveland Circle is not exactly short.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by "even hockey?" Are you saying they play hockey in summer down there? They do play hockey north in summer, but it's surprising that they also play it down south in summer.
I'm in South Florida so I guess it's really South-ish.

Reaction Score
And Quincy, and Braintree, and Somerville, and Cambridge, and Chelsea.... Hell, if you tell someone from East Boston that they're from "the city" they'll probably punch you in the face. If you tell someone from Cambridge that they're from "the city" they'll probably protest outside your front door for a week.

I know. Quincy and Braintree are clinchers, I think. But Somerville and Cambridge, while technically not part of the city in any municipal sense, really are part of the "city," in my opinion. They have areas that people from Boston-proper might go to on a weekend, and along Mass Ave, at least, they are urban in feel (in a way Chestnut Hill, Quincy, Malden, etc. are not).

Reaction Score
I know. Quincy and Braintree are clinchers, I think. But Somerville and Cambridge, while technically not part of the city in any municipal sense, really are part of the "city," in my opinion. They have areas that people from Boston-proper might go to on a weekend, and along Mass Ave, at least, they are urban in feel (in a way Chestnut Hill, Quincy, Malden, etc. are not).

FWIW, regardless of whether the BC campus has a "suburban" feel or not, BC's lower campus - where Alumni Stadium and Conte Forum are located - physically sits in the city of Boston. When they enlarged the stadium in the 1990's and got approval for their master plan as it impacted their Lower/Brighton Campus, they needed the approval of the Mayor if Boston and the Boston regulatory authorities.

BC sits in an interesting location. If you take a right at the Beacon Street gate, you are definitely in the "suburbs". However, if you take a right at the Commonwealth Avenue gate on the lower campus, you are in the Brighton section of Boston and definitely NOT in the suburbs. Having the "best of both worlds" is one of the appeals for many students.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What do you mean by "even hockey?" Are you saying they play hockey in summer down there? They do play hockey north in summer, but it's surprising that they also play it down south in summer.
Ever sport is year round now. I think there may be a cross-training benefit lost, but the game specific skills that the kids develop are noteworthy.

Reaction Score
Where does hockey rank in importance for B1G schools that play hockey? Looks like the 3rd or 4th most important sport, depending on how successful the schools are in hockey.

Reaction Score
It's the #3 sport for schools that play it. Baseball isn't big at all and Lax is small but growing.

I don't think Hockey will play a role in realignment though. Big Ten already has the 6-team minimum for an autobid and is made of 4 of the top 10 college hockey programs of all time(combined 23 NCs)...and Ohio State also has a pretty respectable program too.

Reaction Score
It's the #3 sport for schools that play it. Baseball isn't big at all and Lax is small but growing.

I don't think Hockey will play a role in realignment though. Big Ten already has the 6-team minimum for an autobid and is made of 4 of the top 10 college hockey programs of all time(combined 23 NCs)...and Ohio State also has a pretty respectable program too.
More hockey programs, especially an incursion into the northeast, cannot hurt. Overall, we are very close to fitting the profile of a B1G school perfectly.

Hard to believe how much UConn has grown.

CL82

Reaction Score
More hockey programs, especially an incursion into the northeast, cannot hurt. Overall, we are very close to fitting the profile of a B1G school perfectly.

Hard to believe how much UConn has grown.
Still a ways to go...AAU, endowment and stadium size.

Reaction Score

At Minnesota, it's very arguably #1. Michigan is solidly #2 - most years, few care about basketball, the hockey fans there are diehard and the sport is overall more popular in the state than basketball. State and Wisconsin are solidly #3 - in that both have big followings, but BB/FB are both generally bigger at the schools. Some years, hockey has a rightful claim to #2 at Wisconsin. Ohio State, the following is very small, most fans are very casual, and the arena is WAY too big. Penn State is an unknown. Four of the six schools have bona fide big-shot hockey programs, two of which are unarguably on the Mount Rushmore of the sport.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Still a ways to go...AAU, endowment and stadium size.

Yup. Also add re-establishing MBB as top 10 program post Calhoun and post APR, returning football to a regular bowl season participant, and continued fanbase support.

Reaction Score
Ever sport is year round now. I think there may be a cross-training benefit lost, but the game specific skills that the kids develop are noteworthy.

Yep, I know it. Just got through coaching youth soccer for a good stint. They turned around and asked me to coach the next module and the next.

One odd thing about year-round sport (soccer is actually 10 month now, Sept. to end of June, though some have July-August skills camps) is that Gymnastics has become very popular with this set, as a means to develop muscle control and coordination. You see lots of young boys who play sports doing it now alongside their sport.

CL82

Reaction Score
Your point is valid but in the end endowment is a metric that being used. Telling people that the should not use a particular metric is always a tougher sale than telling them you meet their requirements.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Endowments are subject to the whims of politicians and are of measure of university financial strength. Capital bonding is nice, but it can easily dry up.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
For anyone who cares, I found that 5 of our head coaches throughout our history played for B1G schools before becoming coaches. Two played at Michigan, one played at Nebraska, and two played at Penn State, Pasqualoni included. Our head coaching history seems more illustrious than it is made out to be. One of those coaches was an assistant coach for the 1947 national champions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_Huskies_football#Coaching_history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_Huskies_football#Former_personnel

Made some adjustments on the football program's page. As far as I know, we have had more head coaches that played in the B1G than any other conference.

Reaction Score
Endowments are subject to the whims of politicians and are of measure of university financial strength. Capital bonding is nice, but it can easily dry up.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

For better or worse, Endowments are viewed by many university presidents as a case of ‘mine is bigger than yours’ school yard mentality or just plan ‘keeping up with the Joneses.’ Afterall, Harvard could offer 100% free tuition to every student using just the interest it earns on its $30 Billion endowment and still have plenty left over to run the university. It does not because $30 Billion is a bragging point over Yale ($19 Billion), Stanford ($17 Billion), Princeton ($17 Billion), etc.
For the B1G, endowment size is a key factor; but, not the only one. Afterall only 2 B1G schools have endowments less than $1 Billion – Maryland ($812 million) and Rutgers ($693 million). UConn’s endowment ($311 million) is thus a significant weakness, especially in from a school in one of the richest states in the country, and is a reason why President Herbst is pushing to get it above $1 Billion.

Reaction Score
Where does hockey rank in importance for B1G schools that play hockey? Looks like the 3rd or 4th most important sport, depending on how successful the schools are in hockey.

If the B1G added UConn, Women’s basketball would likely vault to #3 sport programs rankings ahead of hockey because UConn would assume the role of the 500 pound gorilla and that all 16 (assumes UConn and a partner were added) if UConn was added) schools in the B1G play women’s basketball while only 7 (if UConn was added) play men’s hockey.

Reaction Score
If the B1G added UConn, Women’s basketball would likely vault to #3 sport programs rankings ahead of hockey because UConn would assume the role of the 500 pound gorilla and that all 16 (assumes UConn and a partner were added) if UConn was added) schools in the B1G play women’s basketball while only 7 (if UConn was added) play men’s hockey.
Overall? I don't know. Some posters were making clear that each school has it's own culture. I don't know if women's basketball or football is #2 at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom