B1G | Page 71 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Connecticut is consistently rated as the most productive state in the country (and consequently high rates of anxiety, depression, suicide, etc). The average person in CT just doesn't have enough time to give up to follow UConn religiously like they do in parts of the south and midwest. We are just too damn busy! Too much emphasis on making money (you kind of have to here with the cost of living).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is why college football in the northeast will never be as big as it is elsewhere. Unless the Yankees, Red Sox, Giants, Jets, Patriots, Knicks, Celtics, Nets, Rangers, and Bruins all leave town. There are simply too many other sports options within 100 miles as the crow flies. The CT resident who enjoys football deciding whether to buy a UConn season ticket, or spend the money on going to a few NFL games of their favorite team is more likely than not going to spend the money on the NFL. Not to mention if they decide the opportunity arises to buy playoff baseball tickets. Those options simply do not exist in places like Nebraska, Alabama, Tennessee, most parts of Texas, etc.

I must be the exception to the rule. I have UConn season tix, but would rather spend Sunday watching the NFL from the best seat in MY OWN house. Alas you make a valid point. At the end of the day, on what would you like to spend your entertainment dollar. Comparably, there are more choices in New England than in the Midwest.

Reaction Score
You're right, there is room for improvement, and it's being made, but it'll never be number one. Plop down 10 of the most historically successful and most-followed pro sports teams within 2.5 hours of Lincoln, and envision them all being there for 75-100+ years with 3-4 generations of existing fans. You won't be getting 85K to Nebraska football.

I don't disagree. The simple fact is that in many of the leading football schools in terms of attendance and fandom are in areas that don't have many distractions. So it's really part of the social (and financial) fabric of the community. In Miami, the Canes have to compete with the Dolphins, Marlins, Heat, Soccer, South Beach, etc. Clemson doesn't have that problem.

If UCONN actively took steps to create a great tail-gating atmosphere, fans would want to make it a weekly event, and they would sell more tickets. Lastly, I think the fans of schools in the middle of nowhere that made Football such a part of their social life or more likely to remain committed long after they leave college.

Reaction Score
In addition to what you mentioned above, part of Nebraska's demise was that the University of Nebraska Medical School in Omaha was counted as a separate school, and Nebraska apparently chose to keep them separate (they have different leadership). My understanding is that UCONN has its medical center structured under the same leadership to help circumvent this issue. I could be wrong on the last point.

But again, Med. Center revenues -- even if they come from the federal gov't -- are not counted by the AAU. Is someone from the Med. Center wins a competitive research grant, then it counts. But most people like that are already faculty at the university.

pj

Reaction Score
There is certainly lobbying, but what the AAU has actually been doing is becoming *more* heavily reliant on those objective metrics to both look for potential new members or cut out the bottom schools. One critically important indicator is federal research funding (which was the subject of much of the debate about whether Nebraska would stay or go). Here were the figures for schools from 2010 (the last list that I can find):

http://chronicle.com/article/Extended-List-Research/65212

Interestingly, the University of Alabama at Birmingham is very clearly the top school outside of the AAU in terms of federal funding. That might seem a bit strange if you don't know about their graduate programs, but its medical school has a massive research facility (and medical research is where a disproportionate amount of federal funding goes to). #2 among non-AAU schools at the time was Boston University, who has since been invited. Only two other schools (Colorado State and Cincinnati) had over $200 million in federal research dollars in 2010 (albeit two others - Hawaii and the University of Illinois at Chicago, the latter of which houses the public medical school and research center for the state of Illinois - are very close). Utah, USF and Miami are the next ones on the list in terms of straight dollar amounts (although Miami would receive a *huge* benefit of having its figures "normalized" where figures are adjusted to account for schools that have smaller numbers of faculty members and students, so that's why I've noted previously that they're likely the next school in line to receive AAU membership).

This is where UConn needs to make up a lot of ground if it wants to truly compete for AAU membership (because believe me - virtually every halfway decent school has a plan to become an AAU member in the next 10 to 20 years, so having a plan in and of itself doesn't mean much). UAB, Colorado State, Cincinnati, Hawaii, UIC and Miami (with its normalized figures) are all schools that are very clearly in a tier above the rest of the competition on this critical (if not most important) metric. Putting aside any Big Ten thoughts, note that Cincinnati and USF are also clearly ahead of UConn on this metric, so that has to be taken into account for spots in places like the Big 12 or ACC, too.

Always remember that undergrad admissions don't really mean that much for AAU membership, so the fact that UConn is substantially more difficult to get into for undergrad compared to Cincinnati and USF doesn't matter because their medical research funding is substantially far ahead of UConn at this point. Looking at those figures should be a reality check when considering how incredibly stringent AAU has been in terms of adding members over the past 20 years. UConn would have to almost double its federal research funding to match what Cincinnati already has (and jump a whole slew of other schools like Kentucky, Wake Forest, LSU and even Princeton and Dartmouth in the process). UConn is also a large public school, so it's not going to get the benefit of adjustments for size in the same way that places like Miami, Wake Forest and Yeshiva would. We can say that anything is possible, but those are realistically extremely tough numbers to overcome in a short period of time. (It would likely take a generation of everything going correctly to make up that ground while also assuming that everyone that you're competing against stagnates.) Frankly, selling out 60,000 seats for football every game is probably an easier target by comparison.

Frank, the major issue for UConn is that the University of Connecticut Medical Center in Farmington is not grouped with the University of Connecticut - Storrs in the research funding list you mentioned. UConn Medical Center gets $110 mn in research funds annually and if grouped with the university, the UConn research funds would be $230 mn -- essentially identical to BU and in line for AAU status.

Storrs and Farmington are 35 miles apart. Now Nebraska didn't get the benefit of its medical center in Omaha, which is 53 miles from Lincoln. Clearly it's a political question in the AAU whether a medical center is part of the university or not.

If the AAU wants UConn, they will choose to group the Medical Center and the main campus in one group, and with the big expansion in faculty and investment that is beginning, we'll clearly exceed BU on AAU criteria within 2 years, not 10.

If the AAU doesn't want UConn and doesn't count the Medical Center as part of campus, then you're right, it will be a long time before we have AAU status.

Reaction Score
There is certainly lobbying, but what the AAU has actually been doing is becoming *more* heavily reliant on those objective metrics to both look for potential new members or cut out the bottom schools. One critically important indicator is federal research funding (which was the subject of much of the debate about whether Nebraska would stay or go). Here were the figures for schools from 2010 (the last list that I can find):

http://chronicle.com/article/Extended-List-Research/65212

Interestingly, the University of Alabama at Birmingham is very clearly the top school outside of the AAU in terms of federal funding. That might seem a bit strange if you don't know about their graduate programs, but its medical school has a massive research facility (and medical research is where a disproportionate amount of federal funding goes to). #2 among non-AAU schools at the time was Boston University, who has since been invited. Only two other schools (Colorado State and Cincinnati) had over $200 million in federal research dollars in 2010 (albeit two others - Hawaii and the University of Illinois at Chicago, the latter of which houses the public medical school and research center for the state of Illinois - are very close). Utah, USF and Miami are the next ones on the list in terms of straight dollar amounts (although Miami would receive a *huge* benefit of having its figures "normalized" where figures are adjusted to account for schools that have smaller numbers of faculty members and students, so that's why I've noted previously that they're likely the next school in line to receive AAU membership).

This is where UConn needs to make up a lot of ground if it wants to truly compete for AAU membership (because believe me - virtually every halfway decent school has a plan to become an AAU member in the next 10 to 20 years, so having a plan in and of itself doesn't mean much). UAB, Colorado State, Cincinnati, Hawaii, UIC and Miami (with its normalized figures) are all schools that are very clearly in a tier above the rest of the competition on this critical (if not most important) metric. Putting aside any Big Ten thoughts, note that Cincinnati and USF are also clearly ahead of UConn on this metric, so that has to be taken into account for spots in places like the Big 12 or ACC, too.

Always remember that undergrad admissions don't really mean that much for AAU membership, so the fact that UConn is substantially more difficult to get into for undergrad compared to Cincinnati and USF doesn't matter because their medical research funding is substantially far ahead of UConn at this point. Looking at those figures should be a reality check when considering how incredibly stringent AAU has been in terms of adding members over the past 20 years. UConn would have to almost double its federal research funding to match what Cincinnati already has (and jump a whole slew of other schools like Kentucky, Wake Forest, LSU and even Princeton and Dartmouth in the process). UConn is also a large public school, so it's not going to get the benefit of adjustments for size in the same way that places like Miami, Wake Forest and Yeshiva would. We can say that anything is possible, but those are realistically extremely tough numbers to overcome in a short period of time. (It would likely take a generation of everything going correctly to make up that ground while also assuming that everyone that you're competing against stagnates.) Frankly, selling out 60,000 seats for football every game is probably an easier target by comparison.

2008 was a while ago (the article is from 2010, but the data is from 2008). Since then, a lot of things have been put in motion. If the AAU is doing forward looking math (which it does), I think UCONN's numbers look better, and will continue to improve over the next several years. Conversely, you have contraction at other universities. Also, research dollars are only one of the AAU metrics and UCONN is hiring away a lot of top academic talent to boost its standing in other categories. UCONN probably won't be the next school selected, but they will have a strong case to make in the coming years. The USF document I posted includes some more recent data along with how it compares to Miami, Cincinnati, and other schools. Unfortunately, they didn't include UCONN as a benchmark.

pj

Reaction Score
But again, Med. Center revenues -- even if they come from the federal gov't -- are not counted by the AAU. Is someone from the Med. Center wins a competitive research grant, then it counts. But most people like that are already faculty at the university.

Medical School research funding generally is counted in research listings -- this is why places like Johns Hopkins and Harvard, which are relatively small universities with big medical complexes, rank so high. BU, just invited to the AAU, gets most of its funding at its medical school.

I don't know the ins and outs of AAU criteria -- maybe they look at total and non-medical-center funding both -- but they most certainly count medical research funds, and the Nebraska chancellor complained that if the Univ of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha had been closer to Lincoln, they would not have been kicked out of the AAU.

Reaction Score

They couldn't leverage the Federal Research Expenditures of the medical school. The overall revenue of a medical center doesn't come into play.

pj

Reaction Score
In addition to what you mentioned above, part of Nebraska's demise was that the University of Nebraska Medical School in Omaha was counted as a separate school, and Nebraska apparently chose to keep them separate (they have different leadership). My understanding is that UCONN has its medical center structured under the same leadership to help circumvent this issue. I could be wrong on the last point.

Hopefully that organizational structure matters. Getting the medical center research funding counted with UConn's is the key to meeting AAU metrics. If you don't have a medical school, it's basically impossible to be in the AAU, unless you're MIT.

Reaction Score
If the AAU wants UConn, they will choose to group the Medical Center and the main campus in one group, and with the big expansion in faculty and investment that is beginning, we'll clearly exceed BU on AAU criteria within 2 years, not 10.
UConn will not exceed BU's AAU criteria in two years. There's a 0% chance of that happening. They're not just sitting back over on Comm Ave twiddling their thumbs and doing nothing. Not to say UConn can't achieve AAU status and be a viable candidate in a short period of time, but BU has things going for it that UConn cannot come close to in any forseeable period of time.

Reaction Score
You're right, there is room for improvement, and it's being made, but it'll never be number one. Plop down 10 of the most historically successful and most-followed pro sports teams within 2.5 hours of Lincoln, and envision them all being there for 75-100+ years with 3-4 generations of existing fans. You won't be getting 85K to Nebraska football.

Well, yes and no. I agree that the pro sports in the Northeast provide major competition for schools like UConn, Rutgers and Syracuse. However, the Big Ten footprint is every bit as rabid in its pro sports fandom (if not more so). It has always been a bit of an easy copout in conference realignment discussions to say that successful college teams are in (a) areas where there isn't that much else to do and/or (b) pro sports markets. The thing is that any TV market that's worth having (and that's what so much of conference realignment is about) is inherently going to be a pro sports market. As a result, things are a bit more complicated than whether an area is a "pro sports market" or a "college sports market".

For instance, I'm as big of a Chicago Bears fan as you'll find, but I'll admit that there aren't any crazier fans anywhere than Green Bay Packers fans. The entire state of Wisconsin is 110% nuts about the Packers to the point that there's going to be reality show focusing upon them later this year. Yet, the University of Wisconsin (whose fan base directly overlaps with the Packers fan base) is still able to sell out 80,000 seats for every football game, 18,000 seats for every basketball game AND lead the nation with around 12,000 per game in attendance for hockey. This isn't just pulling in the Madison market (which if you've ever been there, is the antithesis of a place with nothing to do, as it might be the best and liveliest college town in America). These fans are coming in large numbers from Milwaukee that's about 75 miles away who are also attending Packers (despite the Green Bay location, most season ticket holders are actually from Milwaukee), Brewers and Bucks games. Heck, that Milwaukee market even manages to support Marquette basketball to the point where it perennially is in the top 10 nationally in hoops attendance on top of that. Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are also all big-time pro sports towns yet are able to provide a ton of support to their respective state flagships, as well. So, I'll never buy the notion that top tier pro sports and college sports fans can't exist together in major markets. The Big Ten markets have directly shown that for decades.

Reaction Score
Frank, the major issue for UConn is that the University of Connecticut Medical Center in Farmington is not grouped with the University of Connecticut - Storrs in the research funding list you mentioned. UConn Medical Center gets $110 mn in research funds annually and if grouped with the university, the UConn research funds would be $230 mn -- essentially identical to BU and in line for AAU status.

Storrs and Farmington are 35 miles apart. Now Nebraska didn't get the benefit of its medical center in Omaha, which is 53 miles from Lincoln. Clearly it's a political question in the AAU whether a medical center is part of the university or not.

If the AAU doesn't want UConn and doesn't count the Medical Center as part of campus, then you're right, it will be a long time before we have AAU status.

The head administrator at the UCONN Health Center, Frank M. Torti, MD (pretty distinguished) reports to Susan Herbst. At the UCONN Health Center website, click on President: http://www.uchc.edu/about/index.html. I think they are out in front on this one. But you bring up a good point, much of the data that is referenced (which is 2 or 3 years old) does not count the Health Center and UCONN as one. UCONN's main website appears to combine the research expenditures.

pj

Reaction Score
UConn will not exceed BU's AAU criteria in two years. There's a 0% chance of that happening. They're not just sitting back over on Comm Ave twiddling their thumbs and doing nothing. Not to say UConn can't achieve AAU status and be a viable candidate in a short period of time, but BU has things going for it that UConn cannot come close to in any forseeable period of time.

Such as?

Research is pretty simple. NIH funded medical research is ~80% of it. BU has a mediocre medical school which has become a major source of funding because a lot of clinical researchers like to live in Boston within a few miles of Harvard, MIT, and the top hospitals. UConn has a somewhat lesser medical school, but enough to lift the university to levels near BU when all departments are counted.

As for the future, if research gets increasingly political, BU has the problem that it is located within a few miles of 5 Harvard-affiliated hospitals and the Tufts medical center. If research funds become increasingly allocated politically (ie by Congress, ie by congressional district and state) rather than by peer review, which is quite likely as NIH budgets come under increasing stress, BU is going to get clobbered as other states poach the huge Boston biomedical complex.

Unless you think being located in Boston is an AAU criterion, there are no AAU criteria on which UConn can't exceed BU in a reasonably short period of years, if the medical center is counted as part of UConn.

Reaction Score
Well, yes and no. I agree that the pro sports in the Northeast provide major competition for schools like UConn, Rutgers and Syracuse. However, the Big Ten footprint is every bit as rabid in its pro sports fandom (if not more so). It has always been a bit of an easy copout in conference realignment discussions to say that successful college teams are in (a) areas where there isn't that much else to do and/or (b) pro sports markets. The thing is that any TV market that's worth having (and that's what so much of conference realignment is about) is inherently going to be a pro sports market. As a result, things are a bit more complicated than whether an area is a "pro sports market" or a "college sports market".

For instance, I'm as big of a Chicago Bears fan as you'll find, but I'll admit that there aren't any crazier fans anywhere than Green Bay Packers fans. The entire state of Wisconsin is 110% nuts about the Packers to the point that there's going to be reality show focusing upon them later this year. Yet, the University of Wisconsin (whose fan base directly overlaps with the Packers fan base) is still able to sell out 80,000 seats for every football game, 18,000 seats for every basketball game AND lead the nation with around 12,000 per game in attendance for hockey. This isn't just pulling in the Madison market (which if you've ever been there, is the antithesis of a place with nothing to do, as it might be the best and liveliest college town in America). These fans are coming in large numbers from Milwaukee that's about 75 miles away who are also attending Packers (despite the Green Bay location, most season ticket holders are actually from Milwaukee), Brewers and Bucks games. Heck, that Milwaukee market even manages to support Marquette basketball to the point where it perennially is in the top 10 nationally in hoops attendance on top of that. Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are also all big-time pro sports towns yet are able to provide a ton of support to their respective state flagships, as well. So, I'll never buy the notion that top tier pro sports and college sports fans can't exist together in major markets. The Big Ten markets have directly shown that for decades.
Frank, you're correct, but none of the places you mentioned have the sheer number of teams, much less in a condensed location, that the NYC-Boston (and down to Philadelphia and DC to a slightly lesser extent) has. The Wisconsin market pales in comparison. The only one that's reasonably close is Chicago, but look at Northwestern, their fan support is anything but rabid. It's not just that there's pro teams with rabid fan bases, it's that there's so many, no other part of the country has anywhere near the amount. Within 100 miles of East Hartford, as the crow flies, you have 3 MLB teams, 4 NHL teams, 3 NFL teams, and 3 NBA teams. So, for the Connecticut sports fan, you have more options available to you within a reasonable distance than anywhere else in the country, bar none, so the money and time you have to follow them all gets spread very thin. And in these parts, the diehard Sox fans are not going to give up an October game to see UConn-anyone in football, the same for Yankee fans, Giants and Pats fans will spend their money on a VERY expensive NFL ticket instead of a UConn football game, etc. Fortunately for Jets fans, the tickets are cheap and easy to come by. The inventory of pro games available to the sports fan around here far outweighs that of anyone living in any of the towns you listed, including Chicago. There only so many Packer tickets that can be sold, Bears tickets, etc. Think of it this way, on a given October weekend, there could be a Giants home game, Pats home game, Sox playoff game, Yankee playoff game, Bruins game, and Rangers game, all in a two-day period. That's 273,000 tickets available for that weekend. And that's leaving OUT the NBA teams, the Devils, and the Islanders.

And this is not even getting anywhere near the other entertainment options available to spend your money, Broadway shows, casinos, generally going to NYC or Boston for the day, etc.

Reaction Score
2008 was a while ago (the article is from 2010, but the data is from 2008). Since then, a lot of things have been put in motion. If the AAU is doing forward looking math (which it does), I think UCONN's numbers look better, and will continue to improve over the next several years. Conversely, you have contraction at other universities. Also, research dollars are only one of the AAU metrics and UCONN is hiring away a lot of top academic talent to boost its standing in other categories. UCONN probably won't be the next school selected, but they will have a strong case to make in the coming years. The USF document I posted includes some more recent data along with how it compares to Miami, Cincinnati, and other schools. Unfortunately, they didn't include UCONN as a benchmark.

If you read my post, the USF stuff is not based on competitive research grants, which is all that the AAU looks at. A lot of these schools are comparing apples to oranges.

Reaction Score
Such as?

Research is pretty simple. NIH funded medical research is ~80% of it. BU has a mediocre medical school which has become a major source of funding because a lot of clinical researchers like to live in Boston within a few miles of Harvard, MIT, and the top hospitals. UConn has a somewhat lesser medical school, but enough to lift the university to levels near BU when all departments are counted.

As for the future, if research gets increasingly political, BU has the problem that it is located within a few miles of 5 Harvard-affiliated hospitals and the Tufts medical center. If research funds become increasingly allocated politically (ie by Congress, ie by congressional district and state) rather than by peer review, which is quite likely as NIH budgets come under increasing stress, BU is going to get clobbered as other states poach the huge Boston biomedical complex.

Unless you think being located in Boston is an AAU criterion, there are no AAU criteria on which UConn can't exceed BU in a reasonably short period of years, if the medical center is counted as part of UConn.

NIH grants are on the order of $10-50m a year. These medical centers get $200m for operations from federal sources each year. The research component is but a fraction of that. Nebraska's medical center was pulling $10m in NIH grants a year. The argument that it would have helped them retain status is totally bogus since they were 50% under the $350m cut. $10m wouldn't have helped.

Reaction Score
Medical School research funding generally is counted in research listings -- this is why places like Johns Hopkins and Harvard, which are relatively small universities with big medical complexes, rank so high. BU, just invited to the AAU, gets most of its funding at its medical school.

I don't know the ins and outs of AAU criteria -- maybe they look at total and non-medical-center funding both -- but they most certainly count medical research funds, and the Nebraska chancellor complained that if the Univ of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha had been closer to Lincoln, they would not have been kicked out of the AAU.

No, no no.

Harvard had $750+m in research funding last year.

Total research funding for the medical center and medical school? $63m for 2013.

It just isn't true.

I have seen how the AAU goes to great pains to disambiguate funding for medical centers from competitive research grants. Some of this federal funding pays for interns to do the rounds with doctors. The AAU has absolutely no interest in such things.

The grant money going to these medical centers is small. Harvard is doing almost $700m of research outside of its med center and school.

For UConn, Farmington did $19.5m in 2013.

So, really, this stuff is not putting any school over the top.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree. The simple fact is that in many of the leading football schools in terms of attendance and fandom are in areas that don't have many distractions. So it's really part of the social (and financial) fabric of the community. In Miami, the Canes have to compete with the Dolphins, Marlins, Heat, Soccer, South Beach, etc. Clemson doesn't have that problem.

If UCONN actively took steps to create a great tail-gating atmosphere, fans would want to make it a weekly event, and they would sell more tickets. Lastly, I think the fans of schools in the middle of nowhere that made Football such a part of their social life or more likely to remain committed long after they leave college.

Considering how many people tailgate without actually buying tickets or having any desire to see the game I'm not sure this is true.

pj

Reaction Score
No, no no.

Harvard had $750+m in research funding last year.

Total research funding for the medical center and medical school? $63m for 2013.

It just isn't true.

I have seen how the AAU goes to great pains to disambiguate funding for medical centers from competitive research grants. Some of this federal funding pays for interns to do the rounds with doctors. The AAU has absolutely no interest in such things.

The grant money going to these medical centers is small. Harvard is doing almost $700m of research outside of its med center and school.

It's hard to take you seriously when you don't know that the vast majority of Harvard's $750 mn+ went to 5 Harvard-affiliated hospitals -- Massachusetts General Hospital, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Children's Hospital Boston, and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute -- and some other institutions chipped in: http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/harvard-affiliated-hospitals-and-research-institutes/.

Reaction Score
Such as?

Try again, BU is not a mediocre medical school by any stretch. Ranked in terms of research, BU is a top 30 school, UConn is 30 spots below: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...schools/top-medical-schools/research-rankings

BU's location is not hindered by the location of the Harvard hospitals, it has its own hospital complex that is in no danger of going anywhere. These big hospitals in the city are affiliated with Harvard, but stand on their own feet. If you tell someone at MGH that they work for Harvard, they'll probably strangle you. BU's location is anything but a hindrance in any way.

It will not be clobbered by these research funds and other biomedical complexes. In fact, BU has won approval to finally build an enormous biomedical research complex in the South End to study enormously infectious diseases: http://www.bu.edu/neidl/2013/03/04/...s-state-approval-of-its-environmental-review/

Never mind BU's endowment is nearly four times the size of UConn's, the law school is ranked 30 slots higher, the business school is ranked 20 slots higher, they are gaining lots of attention for being the lead researchers on the brains of concussed athletes - thus, if this NFL class action lawsuit from former players goes to trial, there will be a parade of BU researchers up on the stand.

The easiest way to put this is if BU had a football program and a good football fanbase, they'd have been in the Big 10 loooooong before Maryland or Rutgers.

pj

Reaction Score
Try again, BU is not a mediocre medical school by any stretch. Ranked in terms of research, BU is a top 30 school, UConn is 30 spots below: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...schools/top-medical-schools/research-rankings

BU's location is not hindered by the location of the Harvard hospitals, it has its own hospital complex that is in no danger of going anywhere. These big hospitals in the city are affiliated with Harvard, but stand on their own feet. If you tell someone at MGH that they work for Harvard, they'll probably strangle you. BU's location is anything but a hindrance in any way.

It will not be clobbered by these research funds and other biomedical complexes. In fact, BU has won approval to finally build an enormous biomedical research complex in the South End to study enormously infectious diseases: http://www.bu.edu/neidl/2013/03/04/...s-state-approval-of-its-environmental-review/

Never mind BU's endowment is nearly four times the size of UConn's, the law school is ranked 30 slots higher, the business school is ranked 20 slots higher, they are gaining lots of attention for being the lead researchers on the brains of concussed athletes - thus, if this NFL class action lawsuit from former players goes to trial, there will be a parade of BU researchers up on the stand.

The easiest way to put this is if BU had a football program and a good football fanbase, they'd have been in the Big 10 loooooong before Maryland or Rutgers.

I said UConn's medical school was lesser than BU's. I said it ranks as high as it does because researchers like the proximity to Harvard and the Harvard-affiliated hospitals. Perhaps you are unaware that all federally funded researchers at those 5 hospitals are given Harvard appointments. Of course people at MGH don't "work for" Harvard, but they have Harvard appointments and value them highly.

I said specifically that BU would be clobbered only if money started getting divvied up by location via political clout, rather than by peer review. If that happens, the top BU faculty who wanted to be near Harvard will quickly want to be located in states with higher chances of getting funded.

BU, as a university, is ahead of UConn in a number of criteria, such as endowment. But those are not AAU criteria, so far as I am aware.

Reaction Score
If you read my post, the USF stuff is not based on competitive research grants, which is all that the AAU looks at. A lot of these schools are comparing apples to oranges.

According to the UNL AAU doc, the AAU looks at seven indicators. They outline them in the letter to the Chancellor of UNL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom